Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 7:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need information Finlay Taylor

Dear sirs,

I am currently leading an investigation for my school about an Australian kickboxer named Finlay "The Terrier" Taylor. He claims to have over 40 amateur fights, 25-2 as a pro and he would've fought on K-1 Undercards in Australia. Guy decided to move across the world to train with us. Don't want to say the name of my school, but we're big, we have some UFC representation.

A K1 level guy, what would be better for our school huh? When I googled the name of Finlay Taylor, Finlay Taylor K1, Finlay Taylor Muay Thai, Finlay "The Terrier" Taylor...nothing. Guys with similar credentials like Warren Stevelmans for example come in with a shower of pictures,videos and websites talking about him.

Yesterday Finlay was sparring for the first time, with John C. one of our amateur Muay Thai guys. John C. is 2-0, but he's a solid rugged redneck type that was used to beat up people before martial arts. Let's put it like this. He made Finlay look like he didn't even put gloves in his life. He beat him up bad. Yesterday night I call one of my contacts at a high profile magazine and he told me Taylor was some sort of a joke down under. He pointed me out to this site:

http://brockjohnstonphotographer.wor...-photographer/

Where Taylor is holding belts that doesn't seem to have anything written on them. I'd like to have some background information about the guy...some stories about him if possible. If you guys want to know what gym I'm from, I can give you the information in private. Just don't want to do it on a public place.

Thank you

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 4:37pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Starting with the biggest claim: K-1.

A search on the K-1 site for people with the last name beginning with 'T' yields no results for anyone named 'Finlay' and 'Taylor'.

http://www.k-1.co.jp/en/fighter/inde..._button=Search

Searching the 'F' names (in case they reversed his name) shows no results either.

http://www.k-1.co.jp/en/fighter/inde..._button=Search

To check and see if they only list currently active fighters, I browsed through some fighters and see that they even list fighters who have been inactive since at least 1996. Here is an example of someone with a single fight in 1996:

http://www.k-1.co.jp/en/fighter/play...t2=&index=ueda

I have found references to a few cards in which a 'Finlay Taylor' fought.

Showdown in the Shire (~2006)
    Finlay Taylor VS Matt Norman
    Winner Matt Norman (decision)
    International Kickboxer Forum - View Single Post - Showdown In the Shire

Jabout Presents JWP vs Foley (~2006/2007)
    Finlay Taylor v Mo Weeby
    (can't find outcome)
    International Kickboxer Forum - View Single Post - JABOUT PRESENTS JWP v FOLEY - 28/7

In a post on that site, there was reference to Finlay being '2-0':

International Kickboxer Forum - View Single Post - best up and coming fighters

crap he almost got stopped by finlay in the first round and finlay was a 2-0 guy he will get his own
    If we take the above quote as truth (which we really shouldn't but it is at least a 3rd party testimonial of sorts), Finlay will have needed to have fought ~38 more times in the past 3 years to reach 40. That is an average of just over a fight a month. I'm not into kickboxing so I'm not sure if that is possible or unlikely. Someone else will need to comment on that.

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 9:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you,

that was really useful in clearing up who we were dealing with. Surprisingly enough, the net is completely devoid of references to him. Hell this thread is one of the first google hits on his name.

I noticed a few weird things about him too. Mostly on Facebook. I haven't competed in grappling or amateur for more than two years, I keep low-profile , but still over time I have 49 people tagging fight related pics to me. Mostly group training pics or shows I organize. Him, he has only one, the photographer pic I posted earlier. I don't know...this is a strange case.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 10:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    11/15/2010 12:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    This isn't a forum which provides an outlet for people to vent. Please post (publicly) supporting information which can be independently verified.
    Well what exactly would u like to know?.His fight history?.He trained at Double Dragon at sutherland in sydney,aust.Fought 2 fights,lost both then quit.Has no titles,no belts,nothing.The reason you cant find any info on his is cause there isnt any to find.Let me know what proof u need and i will do my best.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/15/2010 1:00am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2010 4:59am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    any of his claims in writing ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2010 12:04pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    any of his claims in writing ?
    The closest I can find is that Brock Johnston photo where he poses with a bunch of belts;

I wasted some time trying to identify the belts, and the closest I got was a thread on mr. Taylor in kickboxing.com.au (http://www.kickboxing.com.au/forum_v...c.php?126.4487). There I found the links to two of those belts' product pages on amazon.com;

http://www.amazon.com/Title-Boxing-T...ef=pd_sbs_sg_4

http://www.amazon.com/Title-Boxing-T...ef=pd_sbs_sg_2

This doesn't necessarily mean that they were just bought off Amazon, but they weren't won from a "big-name" event. I still can't identify the other two belts, though.

EDIT: Found a third one: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-classic-belt-1.html, another generic belt.
    Last edited by Hertzyscowicz; 11/15/2010 12:08pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2010 9:45pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he could easily say that the photographer wrote an unauthorized blurb on him and that he was simply 'posing' with the belts for the photo.

so he bullshits in the gym. there are plenty of big noting douchebags, what makes this one so special ?

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 11:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Boxing, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a so called Nooby, but i can shed alot of light and clear the air a little bit as i was the guy who met Finlay a few years ago in montreal through his new wife and his direct link to Montreals mma and combat scene! Long story short , his wife contacted me about 2 years and said my soon to be husband is a kick boxer and is coming to mtl , could you maybe train with him, while hes in mtl meeting the fam! This was before my association with the gym i presently work out of and train at! I trained with Fin and he was a really great guy, super nice and in terms of training we did some drills , he showed a few combos to some of the guys i was working with and some of the wrestlers and bjj guys showed him some stff! Fast forward! Durng the year we stayed in contact and based on what i was told re his extrvagant career including titles and k1 fights , decided i would approach the superiors at my present day gym to see if he could begin training as he said HE wanted to continue fighting in Canada...Our gym is filled with champions from all disciplines , world class fighters and coaches and one of the best developmental systems in north america in my opinion! So having a new world class fighter at the gym would be great for everybody. I even had contact with Various organizations interested in him to fight on their shows based on the credentials he supplied me....the only prob was the match makers wanted videos and there were obviously none! Once Finlay came to montreal i brought him to the gym to meet the guys and everyone really liked him, as i said hes a great guy! but when it came time to spar , he got absolutely **** kicked by an amateur with 2 fights....when i say **** kicked, i mean **** kicked! From tha point on there were many skeptics and people began to investigate his claims of winning records, titles and k1 experience. I worked very hard to build whatever reputation i had at our gym and it was definately damaged through this nonsense. I pretty much disassociated myself with anything to do with fighting and Finlay but i continued to build on a second plan which was to do boot camps in mtl with him. I continued to work with Finlay even though i now had substancial supporting eveidence that 98 percent of his claims were false. He is a very good Strength coach and trust me i researched and spoke to his old bosses and clients, and we ran a great program. That being said some may think, i am naive, or stupid for continuing to work with a guy who pretty much lied to my face! You may be right , i may be stupid and Naive and i still dont fully undrstand why myself why i gave him a second chance. That being said im pretty sure he knows i know that its all bullshit and i can assure you all that he has nothing to do with combat sports or fighting in mtl and is focussing on personal training , bootcamps and his famiiy. I think he learned his lesson in the ring and outside of it. At least i hope so! Recently Jaden Dempsey has surfaced on the forums and shed some light on Finlays claims as well which i appreciate very much. The damage that was done to my reputation for bringing him to our gym is reversing and at this point i suggest we focuss our energies on more important things and let him live his life. Its pretty obvious to me that some one that would go to these lengths has some type of issue and i dont feel the need to punish him and i was the one who was mostly affected!
    All the best to everyone!
    Jer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast