--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Long time lurker, first time poster, got a question

Greetings, all.

I have a question.

How would one go about self-learning martial arts?

Obviously it seems more likely to find bad schools than good schools, and if one does not have a good school nearby, nor the proper transportation to go anywhere, surely there are options for self-learning?

I am not expecting to be any sort of Chuck Norris by the end, but at least competent.

This question assumes that one is wholly unlearned in the martial arts.

Thank you in advance.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't. Try to teach yourself to swim without a pool or surf without a board. There is always something you can find. What are you looking to train in, or what is in your area?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could teach me in the way of combat cuddling, perhaps.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't troll your own thread.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Understood.

I am not picky about the particular style, as long as it will put me above those who do nothing at all.

If nothing else, I could say I'm a ninja, because real ninjas were just peasants who knew some dirty tricks. You don't even need martial arts for that.

Also, I like to think that even mastering a single move will be better than nothing at all, as Bruce Lee once implied.

So what am I looking for? A way to learn something of martial arts where I won't have to put up with either mcdojo/bullshido nonsense (9 out of ten schools), or legitimate schools where it's still fraught with alpha male chest thumping bullshit (1 out of ten).

I do have another question...who was the first martial artist?

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ajora View Post
    Understood.

I am not picky about the particular style, as long as it will put me above those who do nothing at all.

If nothing else, I could say I'm a ninja, because real ninjas were just peasants who knew some dirty tricks. You don't even need martial arts for that.

Also, I like to think that even mastering a single move will be better than nothing at all, as Bruce Lee once implied.

So what am I looking for? A way to learn something of martial arts where I won't have to put up with either mcdojo/bullshido nonsense (9 out of ten schools), or legitimate schools where it's still fraught with alpha male chest thumping bullshit (1 out of ten).

I do have another question...who was the first martial artist?
    1. The first martial artists were cavemen who figured out if you punch someone in the face it hurts more than slapping at them.

2. Where do you live?

3. Lurk more.

Style
    In transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lurk more, indeed.

Also, you may want to try just being more active to start out with. It's less likely to create bad fighting habits, and good conditioning will put you a leg up on most other people.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    3. Lurk more.
    If I feel like it.

Style
    BJJ, judo, boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 vote for working on your activity level...in a fight between two evenly matched opponents (i.e. untrained you and also the untrained attacker whom you are most likely to meet), the one with the better conditioning almost always wins. Get your fitness level up, and when you finally find a good school, you'll be able to excel quickly.

Giving us a hint about your location might help get you some suggestions as to where to train...

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere you should be able to find either boxing, wrestling, or Judo. Do one of those three.

In the EXTREMELY unlikely scenario that none of the above are available, run, lift, diet. Get thin, get fit, get strong. That way when you can go and take a martial art you will be in the best physical shape possible.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.