Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 4:39pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun Anti Grapple Finally broken down for the noobs

Found this video on you tube with some wing chun dude teaching people the anti grapple.

The funniest thing i noticed about this video is in the beginning the wing chun dude talks about how in the street grappling is wrong and they train for the streets and then immediately goes to the chi sao position to try and work his take downs.

This dude obviously has no clue about grappling and the anti grapple technique is atrocious and will never work against a determined attacker or left alone an experienced grappler.

YouTube- Wing Chun - Anti-Grappling (basic drill)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 5:12pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus monkey Christ. WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T SPRAWL!!! Sound advice.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 5:24pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a good thing that grapplers and wrestlers don't use their arms.

It is a good thing that grapplers and wrestlers don't change levels.

It is a good thing that grapplers and wrestlers don't change angles.

I need a drink.

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 5:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More like panty grapple.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 5:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Psst......don't embarrass yourselves. The video is very silly but, you might want to look up his bio.

In other words he is a chunner with a very strong background in other arts.......

In other words, he is a reverse engineering chunner. You and I can't apply any of the anti-grapple but, he can for specific reasons.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 5:51pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    In other words, he is a reverse engineering chunner. You and I can't apply any of the anti-grapple but, he can for specific reasons.
    I don't think the video is silly for the fact that it uses WC. I don't think it is silly actually.

And I can see how this can lead into forward hip pressure into a sprawl and redirecting pressure.

And I can recognize that he is using it as a drill.

I guess my main issue is one where it is using framing and hip pressure without an emphasis on maintaining distance (hips away but engaged). A leg will be wrapped up VERY easily should the attacker change levels or angle.

Also, if he can make it work (high percentage for him) but others can't (low percentage for them), I'm not sure the technique would be a good basic drill. Good basic drills tend to be "universally" high-percentage techniques. Sure there are the fun drills where some technique is REALLY odd and fun to pull off, but that isn't how this is being presented.

I've seen other threads that involved him and it seems like he has a great approach to training, but this approach to anti-grappling leaves me asking 'Why is he showing that?'

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 5:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Psst......don't embarrass yourselves. The video is very silly but, you might want to look up his bio.

In other words he is a chunner with a very strong background in other arts.......

So he's **** yet legit?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 6:02pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, this isn't the worst anti-grapple tech vid I've seen. Would it work against an experienced wrestler? Of course not. But I'd wager this drill could more than stymie your average TUF n00b, and it might even give a bunch of BJJ Blues some trouble.

Poor wrestlers often go for shitty Leg Dives instead of shooting proper Double Legs.

When he advises to "keep your hips forward," he means "don't react by bending forward over the attacker." This is actually sound advice. Forward hip pressure is a necessary aspect of any good sprawl, and you can often stop a bad shot just by meeting the attacker's shoulders with your hips. I was drilling something similar with one of the Brown Belts at my gym, a few weeks ago.

Additionally, his warning against locking arms out, or allowing arms to be trapped against your chest are generally sound advice.

Again, I'm not saying this video will protect someone from a decent grappler, but it's a hell of a lot better than throat strikes and elbows to the spine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 10:11pm

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you guys know this guy? He actually does BJJ if I'm not mistaken. I'm quite surprised at this video. So Odacon, you put it quite well. He can be **** yet legit...

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 10:42pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosJesena View Post
    Do you guys know this guy? He actually does BJJ if I'm not mistaken. I'm quite surprised at this video. So Odacon, you put it quite well. He can be **** yet legit...

Yes, that's why I made the above post. He even has an account. Tom ran him off when he stopped answering questions and began spamming videos that became worse.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast