Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2010 8:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    The fact you asked this makes you an idiot. YMAS is for silliness but, I don't understand why some posters feel that means all bets are off when it comes to generalizations, racism, martial claims, and other idiocy. It doesn't.

The same standards of proof apply here as everywhere else but, there is a level of **** talking allowed in here that isn't allowed in MABS. There is a level of ridicule allowed here that isn't allowed in MABS.

Learn how to post. You said all while posting on bullshido. You, as many other posters, got called on your idiocy. Unlike the other posters you got butthurt.
    I'm not saying I made a great post. What i was implying was that there was more room for error in YMAS because it is for **** talking and comedy. Even if it was MABS, the polite and respectful thing to do would be to ask for clarification. It took DerAuslander 3 post to do that. And I'm the one getting lectured for my bad posts.

WRTO Butt hurt, I don't know. I guess so. If person A is rude to person B, and says disrespectful things which are un-prevoked, then person B responds with an equally disrespectful post, then is Person B, butt hurt? Well then I guess I'm butt hurt.....

The bottom line is, if DesAuslander doesn't want to be disrespected on this site, he doesn't need to disrespect others. I'm not sure what he gets out of telling people to STFU, but it is not really efficient if it takes 3 posts and another forum leader to get down to why his feeling were hurt.

To answer DesAuslanders question, You make a really good point about me using TMA, if memory serves me correctly we had this same issue before. In the context in which I used it, it was in reference to Older MA >200 years old which do not emphasis sparring. Ie Ninjutsu, Wing Chun, Silat, etc etc. They use old traditional methods of training, which do not normally translate well into the real world. Sure there are exceptions ie Muay Thai, Wrestling, Pancraese etc but for the most part there isnt

Infact this probably deserves its own thread, so I'll go start that now so not to further derail this thread

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2010 8:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What Classifies a TMA

There has been a lot of confusion about the Acronym TMA. Its stands for Traditional Martial Arts. And there are those like myself that use it in appropriately.

I use it in a derogatory fashion to refer to older martial arts which do not pressure test their skills. But really one could argue that TMA just means older martial arts with tradition. And that is it.

So my question to the people on this site is what does TMA mean to you. Is there a time limit associated with the art. (are BJJ, TKD and Judo too young) Should there be distinct cultural/religous influences in the art, should the art be part the the folk lore of the place where it originated from.

Any opinion would be valid here, it is YMAS after all ;)

Posted On:
    5/07/2010 8:45pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could do that.

But maybe we should finish what was started in the "How do you define martial arts?" Thread here:
    How do you define martial arts? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

We can't even settle on a definition of "martial arts" so I expect "traditional martial arts" to be even more difficult to define.

But please, add your voice to the other thread.

Posted On:
    5/07/2010 8:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you define martial arts? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

How about we start with defining martial arts. After all, that should be easy, right?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    5/07/2010 9:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TMA is like you said, typically a martial art that does not pressure test with live resistance or with competition. I think a TMA is also a system that generally adheres to outdated training methods, techniques, and philosophies - a corollary to a lack of pressure testing, since they don't know that what they do doesn't work.

"Combative sports" is a good term for martial arts like boxing, wrestling, BJJ, judo, MT, Kyokushin Karate and its derivatives, Sumo, etc. - anything that uses competition as a testing ground for the advancement of the system as a whole. Of course MMA falls under this as well, being the pinnacle of pressure testing allowed under law.

Labeling something as a TMA using time as a requirement obviously runs into problems when you look at something like wrestling or MT, which have been around a while.

Also, keep in mind that "TMA" is a generalization of systems - there are plenty of individual schools or even organizations within TMAs that are much more progressive and evolve through pressure testing, it is just that it is not an overwhelming majority of the schools under a system. For example, Northern Chuan Fa would be considered flowery kung fu nonsense, but then there are schools out there that have sanshou teams and shui jiao teams and thus pressure test. Of course, the resulting argument is how much of their system do they actually use when they compete, and therefore you are left with many of the circular arguments you see on this board and others. You also have individuals that go beyond the confines of a TMA and are able to apply their skills, along with crosstraining and modern training methods, successfully in competition - for example, there are TKDers in K1, Stephen Bonner in UFC, and so on. Unfortunately these individuals are often used as an excuse for the rest of the systems that they practice, which are usually crap.

So use the terms loosely, because there are exceptions and varied definitions and interpretations.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/07/2010 9:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no definition so, you both need to stop.

MTripp, Fug, and few others older than us do not use it in the derogatory sense. So, to even try and replace the original with a board specific definition is quite silly.

Oh and merged because superninjagod is trying to duck a situation he created.

Merged:
    What Classifies a TMA
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/07/2010 9:20pm at .

Posted On:
    5/07/2010 9:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, but why are you merging it into this thread. It started in the "Iz Booj a Kult?" thread, not "Mountanass Ninjer Nerd1n355."

I realize all ninjas look alike in the black hoods, so it's easy to confuse them. I think that's part of the plan.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/07/2010 9:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superninjagod View Post
    I'm not saying I made a great post. What i was implying was that there was more room for error in YMAS because it is for **** talking and comedy. Even if it was MABS, the polite and respectful thing to do would be to ask for clarification. It took DerAuslander 3 post to do that. And I'm the one getting lectured for my bad posts.

WRTO Butt hurt, I don't know. I guess so. If person A is rude to person B, and says disrespectful things which are un-prevoked, then person B responds with an equally disrespectful post, then is Person B, butt hurt? Well then I guess I'm butt hurt.....

The bottom line is, if DesAuslander doesn't want to be disrespected on this site, he doesn't need to disrespect others. I'm not sure what he gets out of telling people to STFU, but it is not really efficient if it takes 3 posts and another forum leader to get down to why his feeling were hurt.

To answer DesAuslanders question, You make a really good point about me using TMA, if memory serves me correctly we had this same issue before. In the context in which I used it, it was in reference to Older MA >200 years old which do not emphasis sparring. Ie Ninjutsu, Wing Chun, Silat, etc etc. They use old traditional methods of training, which do not normally translate well into the real world. Sure there are exceptions ie Muay Thai, Wrestling, Pancraese etc but for the most part there isnt

Infact this probably deserves its own thread, so I'll go start that now so not to further derail this thread
    How does someone get butt hurt about generalizations and then continue to make generalizations? You think there is confusion because, you have your own definition that is somehow the right one.

You have an opinion deal with it when it gets taken in what you consider the wrong way.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/08/2010 1:34am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2010 1:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate, Tai Chi, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear stupidninjasod:

Thanks for derailing my thread you with your idiotic remarks.

Posted On:
    5/08/2010 1:44am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to have everyone (mostly ninjagod) pee on your campfire. :pottytrai The bujinkan is a huge personality cult for Hatsumi and can attract a lot of strange people, but to call it an actual cult is a bit strong IMO. There you go, back on topic.
    Last edited by nightowl; 5/08/2010 1:47am at .
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast