Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:11am

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm going to be a knight!

I recently discovered that there is an SCA group very close to my residence. I also discovered that I like the idea of bashing people while wearing badass armor.

Unfortunately, it seems the SCA specifically prohibits grappling, rendering my meager Judo skills useless, as well as punching and kicking. Basically, my only option is to hit the other person really hard with a stick.

Anyways, I sent an email to some guy with a fancy title when/where they meet, and if I could wollop people without legal repurcussion. I'm waiting on his response.

Bullies, any tips for armored fighting? Any ideas for epic awesome ass-beating on my first day? How much will I be mocked if I changed my avatar to me wearing platemail, standing over my vanguished foe?

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:23am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You won't be mocked at all for larping. This site is based on the concept of grown men playing dress ups and pretending to be some deadly warrior. Isn't it?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:27am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you'll be mocked more for not spelling "Vanquished" correctly than for posting the armor pic.
    As for fighting tips? Go buy a 20llb weight vest and some 10lb ankle weights, attach the weights to the vest, go run up and down stairs. Otherwise you're gonna gas in no time wearing armor.
    Once you've done that enough that you don't throw up after a couple of minutes go get a baseball bat and an old tire and go to town for about half an hour. Once you can do that without feeling like your arms are going to fall off you're ready!

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:31am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Search for HEMA or ARMA clubs in your area instead. As I understand it, they're less about larping and more about fighting.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:34am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vile_zoidberg View Post
    Bullies, any tips for armored fighting? Any ideas for epic awesome ass-beating on my first day? How much will I be mocked if I changed my avatar to me wearing platemail, standing over my vanguished foe?
    Find out when your group trains for heavy list, go and practice with the group. Learn what your kingdoms requirements are in terms of what counts as sufficient armor and follow it to the letter!

I would recommend an arming jacket, gorget, and gauntlets to start.

If you don't know how to sew I would recommend looking into your kingdoms crafting and garbing meetups. Learn to sew and if you can sew your own arming jacket. It's not hard and if you know how you made it you can repair it when it tears.

Lastly, have fun!

P.S. don't take yourself too seriously, some SCA groups are WAY into the "culture" it's.... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Search for HEMA or ARMA clubs in your area instead. As I understand it, they're less about larping and more about fighting.
    ^^^ This too
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:37am

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out the threads in the Traditional Style Forums: The Western Martial Arts Forum.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wado-Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ARMA is definately a better option if you are into realism. If you just want to hit dudes with sticks, the SCA heavy is a hell of a lot of fun, and the food at the events has always been top-notch when I've attended. Some marshals will have loaner armor until you are ready to dump some serious cash on your own, just make sure you bring a cup. It's required, though they probably have a loaner one as well, if you are brave enough.

Tips for fighting:
    Hydrate - armor sucks the water right out of you.
    Deltoids - Shields and sticks make it hard to keep you hands up, and getting your bell rung in 16 gauge steel sucks. Javorek should complexs and speed bag.
    Armor - make sure it fits snugly. Had a buddy with a bit of a gut come out one day, and the didn't close completely on the left side (kind of like a pancho with plating). He had a rectangular bruise running from armpit to hip from all the hits he took there.
    Helm - when you purchase one, get something pointy. Anything that catches rather than deflects transfers that much more force directly into your head and neck. Rattan doesn't really have a lot of weight, but having a 6'6" old dude sledgehammer it down on top of your head has two possible outcomes; 1. Pointy helm=shoulder bruise, 2. Flat helm=KTFO.
    Humility = Unless you have loads of kendo, these little squirrly larpers will beat your ass the first day. Even if you have some weapons training, you are in their house, and they will ask that you play by thier rules. That means certain kinds of strikes are allowed, and certain kinds are not. They do unleash you a bit as you get trained up, but until a certified marshal vouches that your are not a psychopath out to decapitate someone, then you fight sword and board, with no thrusts.

That is the fruit of my brief experience. Oh, and watch out for the weirdos. Some of those people take the historical aspects seriously. Great cooks though.

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much will I be mocked if I changed my avatar to me wearing platemail, standing over my vanguished foe?
    Thoroughly, but if you paint the Bullshido logo on your shield and take a picture crashing through a line of people with it, only 15% as much IMO.

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much will I be mocked if I changed my avatar to me wearing platemail, standing over my vanguished foe?
    It depends on whether the armor is authentic-seeming and how fat you are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 10:10am

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    It depends on whether the armor is authentic-seeming and how fat you are.
    So...fatness with WoW-style epic armor is....good?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast