Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 8:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: General

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This school is a McDojo or has bad advertising.

Hello there bullshido people. I haven't been on this site in quite a long time. This school is near my home and I was wanting some people to help me judge it before I start investing in training again, as I have stopped for roughly a year and a half now.

Upon visiting it, the trainers and students appeared to know what they were doing. However, after visiting the website, my opinion changed drastically. After seeing the site (linked below) would you (whoever reads this) recommend avoiding it completely, or at least giving it a try before waving it off?

No payment information is on the site as far as I can tell, though I may have missed it. I was told they charge 110$ per month, less than I know most schools charge. As well, they charge for certain programs buying making you buy a convoluted "coupon book" with "five coupons" , each one being a class, then something about 10-15 dollars and 50 dollars, and I simply became confused.

Normally schools with a site like this and such superfluous prices are rip-offs, but the students do seem to be learning something. Thoughts?

http://www.baikaikungfu.com/index.htm

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 9:56am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only red flag that I've seen so far is that they use the Kajukenbo approach and don't acknowledge it. It was a quick read, I skimmed it, but didn't see any evidence. There's a lot there and there is only one real way to figure out if they are a solid school or not and that is to attend a few classes and get a real feel for the school.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 10:09am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kajukenbo

As you can see the only structural difference is the Tang Soo Do/Boxing aspect.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 10:50am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthBull View Post

No payment information is on the site as far as I can tell, though I may have missed it. I was told they charge 110$ per month, less than I know most schools charge. As well, they charge for certain programs buying making you buy a convoluted "coupon book" with "five coupons" , each one being a class, then something about 10-15 dollars and 50 dollars, and I simply became confused.

Normally schools with a site like this and such superfluous prices are rip-offs, but the students do seem to be learning something. Thoughts?

http://www.baikaikungfu.com/index.htm
    Really? That is news to me. I have had to visit 10 to twelve schools because, none in my area release their prices. No, I don't like the coupon thing but, your description isn't accurate enough for me to draw a conclusion. I also don't understand why a bad website necessarily means a rip-off. It sounds like they gave you all the information that you needed before you went to the website. It is strange that instead of trying classes, while you were there, you are making a decision based on the look of a website. Stranger still that you liked the school until you saw the website. Normally it is the other way around. People draw conclusions from a bad website, go to the school, and then say wow it is pretty good.

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 2:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: General

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I've visited the students were practicing but I wasn't allowed to join because of the time of my arrival. And they really didn't give me much information beyond a pamphlet on the history of shaolin Kung Fu and telling me 110 per month and the coupons were vaguely discribed in a second pamphlet. Most of what I was told was hasty and vague. I suppose you guys are right htough, the best thing to do would be to just try some classes. I only asked if anyone could help me judge the place before hands, as I've had other experiences in which it took several payments worth of classes before the teacher started talking about "knocking people out with chi", though they started off ok enough. Thanks for the feed back PEOPLE.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 11:57pm

Style: MMA, Wrestling, TMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that this guy apparently made up his own style is almost always somewhat of a red flag. It looks like they teach San Shou, though, so that's a plus.