No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kajukenbo: whats the general view?

I've been involved with Kajukenbo for two years now, and I think I really want to know what people out there think: WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON KAJUKENBO? All comments welcome.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 1:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never experienced it. Sounds cool, though.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 1:22am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sucks ass because I hate all the people that list it as a style on the intarweb! exepet you, you seem ok.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 1:51am

supporting member
     Style: Hsing-I, Taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to have some Kajukenbo students in my Hapkido class. Apparently part of their student role is to visit other schools and bring back some techniques. Went to visit a rank test also...blue belt I think. About 4 hours long.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 2:44am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Kajukenbo: whats the general view?

Originally posted by JKing
    I've been involved with Kajukenbo for two years now, and I think I really want to know what people out there think: WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON KAJUKENBO? All comments welcome.
    Ah, Kajukenbo, the original MMA...Like most other arts, you can find competent instructors and shitty McDojos, but generally I like it.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the good things about Kajukenbo is it brought Hawaiian culture to the mainland. (They have had great reunion parties in Vegas and never have invited me!) Though the five listed founders of Kajukenbo include Chuan Fa, Kenpo, Karate, Judo/Jujutsu as influences, it is not usually noted that it also included Escrima (Emperado) and American Boxing (Chang being a titled boxer). There is something of the 'local boy' culture, a blend of Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, Philipino, and American that still echoes down a lot of Kajukenbo and Kempo schools. It's both charming and tough. Reminds me of driving in Honolulu; if you are stuck trying to blend in traffic, or trying to make a turn, a 'local' will wave you in with a smile. If you don't wave thanks, or if you are stupid enough to honk at someone, you might get your face beat in.

I like the style a lot, but like Ka-Bar said above, I'm sure you can find Kajukenbo Mcdojos. The best thing about Kajukenbo is the self-defense attitude. It came from the slums and was tested there and on many a drunk sailor. Many of the Kajukenbo schools and their split off are very open to new techniques and include them easily into their teachings. BJJ is probably the newest big influence. In Hawaii two months ago we were on the mats doing cranks, rear nakeds, ankle traps etc...

The question that comes to my mind with Kajukenbo and it's related systems,

(it being the 'parent' system for schools as diverse as Godin's Ohana/Hawaiian Kempo, Universal Kempo, Shaolin Kempo, Villari Martial Arts and all it's split off like United Shaolin, United Studios, Masters Self Defense Centers, Bagley, Demasco, etc, and Tum Pai, Chu'an Fa, Wun Hop Kuen Do, Gaylord Method. CHA-3, Kenkabo, Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu [Sijo Victor "Sonny" Gascon, and Godin seem responsible for ALL the Kempo that's not Parker lineage on the entire East Coast-being the teachers of George Pesare who taught Nick Cerio] and related closely to so many other systems like Castro's)

is what happened to the original JJ and Judo influences that came from Joe Holck who's belted high in Kodokan Judo and Danzan Ryu Jujutsu and the Se Keino Ryu brought by Frank Ordonez?

I see a lot more Chuan Fa and Ko Sho Ryu (Mitose and early Chow) influence than the grappling side. But then we all know wrestling is ghey!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 11:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasn't Wally Jay running in those circles at some point?

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 11:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Kajukenbo: whats the general view?

Originally posted by JKing
    [I've been involved with Kajukenbo for two years now, and I think I really want to know what people out there think: WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON KAJUKENBO? All comments welcome.
    I've checked out a class here in Mililani, Hawaii (Rec 5). The head instructor was another fat and out of shape individual who's students couldn't fight their way past a brazilian jujitsu white belt. Sorry if that offends anyone, but their curriculum was a joke.
    Last edited by Kungfoolss; 2/19/2004 11:33am at .
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 11:34am

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had gotten to shodan level in Kajukenbo back in 1986. At that time it was one of the more hard hitting styles. It was good training. My only bitch was the katas which I have always disliked in any sytem. I imagine and hope it has changed with the times to keep current with new training ideas etc but I havent been near a school that teaches it in almost 18 years now. I did check on the internet out of curiosity and saw that my instructor was still teaching.
    Last edited by Rigante; 2/19/2004 11:42am at .

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 11:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for my new sig kfss
Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast