Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 11:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm baffled as to why anyone gives a **** about a piece of cloth that holds up your pants.

When we learn how to grapple/strike it's not about what rank or promotion we're given but it's how we choose to apply these skills. You think this guy will ever teach? Do you think he'll ever compete or open up his own school?

In this specific case, being upset about a downs kid that gets a silly krotty mcdojo black belt is really pointless.

In the long run it doesn't matter that individuals with mental/physical handicaps (severe enough that they can't compete, teach, etc...) get any type of martial rank. They'll never be able to practically apply it in anyway shape or form. Is that an issue in and of it's self? Yeah sure, depending on your opinion, but I personally just do not care.

It's fully functioning individuals that run black belt factories and con people about the martial arts that are the real issue.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 11:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    Why not just give him an Honorary Black Belt, or a Gold Belt, he will think its fucking better.

He can't understand much, so give him some absurd rank that makes him feel happy, that also isn't an actual rank.
    i agree with you to an extent. if he were my student, and he showed up and put in the effort week after week for the same amount of time that others earned black belts in, you better believe i would be awarding him a certificate of excellence and throwing a patch on his uniform that was baller as ****.

i will assume that the boy has earned the right to be given special recognition to his class, but not a belt. belts always imply ability, to others and the belt holder.

a special needs child is the exact WRONG person you want to give a false sense of confidence to, especially in the realm of self defense/physical confrontation.

EDIT: with all that said, i must reiterate that i do not fault the boy or his family for accepting the belt. responsibility lies 100% on the instructor awarding the belt to him.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 12:11am

Style: TKD/karate/jkd noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually White Kimbo and others like him have valid points. I have worked with intellectually disabled adults for a number of years and actually helped with training a young man with downs and ADHD. We set a different curriculum for him basically starting simple forms and progressing to the regular forms and 1 steps and such. He also got mid rank stripes instead of having to test only when ready for the next full rank( at no extra charge). In sport martial arts mainly TKD and the similar schools with tap sparring, time and hard work should count for something but a black belt is not correct. Recognition and respect yes, a black belt I don't think so but then I am just a lowly Blue belt maybe my standards are too high. My impression is this guy wanted some free publicity for his McDojo and saw a great opportunity with this young man. He should feel pride because he works hard and deserves some respect and recognition, but even in the special olympics they give only one gold medal per event.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 12:15am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you for that drake!

the special olympics is a perfect example of the capacity for the handicapped to understand achievement.

one gets a gold medal. many more do not. everybody gets a participation award, but they all know that gold means winner.

this boy knows that black belt means awesome fighter. he doesn't know that he isn't one himself.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 12:23am

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work with an agency that helps adults with mental disabilities earn independent living skills. For a few months, this involved taking one of them to TKD. He worked at, was distractible, got called on it. He was a white belt, but he nailed his form, and was able to perform the required number of one-step drills at testing. He worked at it at home and showed up to class up to four times a week.

Another client I work with had trouble getting to class sometimes because of his work schedule, but even when he could go, he refused to. That's fine. But he insisted on testing. He didn't even know what he was supposed to do for the one-step sparring. His technique looked more like he was pacing with noodly arms than doing anything that seemed like it might resemble fighting.

Both of these guys have the same aptitude. Both of them received their promotion.

Having mental disabilities does not make you a victim. These guys want to live on their own someday, and they have largely become accustomed to having things handed to them in life because people feel sorry for them. If this is about life, I suggest you compare the population percentage of all homeless people to those with mental disabilities or illness, and then look at the total population percentage of people with mental disabilities or illness with the total population. The point is, the landlord won't just think it's "osoneato" that this person with so much going against them is living on their own; they are very likely to toss them when they fail to pay their rent. Their jobs aren't likely to give them promotions or merits for showing up, but for performing well. When you treat them as something beneath yourself, or something that is not capable of normal goals, you belittle them and rob them of the very tools they need to survive. My guys expect things handed to them, and that is why they do not live on their own.

This kid is really neat, and I think it's awesome that he's even doing this. I think he should be merited based on his ethic and ability, not on his attendance or out of pity. You belittle him and your art.

Newsflash: the mentally disabled I've worked with already know the cards are stacked against them.

Edit: As to my guys with their TKD, the instructor teaches them that they will be able to handle themselves. These guys have warned me that they are orange belts. They believe it means something, and that is the point.
    Last edited by simonifrius; 5/03/2010 12:30am at .

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 12:59am

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth View Post

Here is one for you, i have one too and a couple to spare for others.
    You boys got one for me? I would gladly knock your dicks in the dirt. Let the boy have his black belt and leave the "hardy har, mcdojo!!!" **** for one of the delusional fuckwits without a major mental disability. Ive seen less deserving assholes get their holly brown belt in BJJ who are less dedicated and deserving.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 1:01am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are too many unknowns in this video. What kind of karate? What the teacher's requirements are for all his students to get a BB? What was the down kid allowed a pass on that the teacher would not have allowed for other students? What do the kids believe a BB says about them?

The answers to all these will change whether the BB was warranted or not.

Also, a lot of analogies are being used here to make it look like a black or white issue (I swear I did not intend a pun). Did you know that people with mental disabilities are often given more time to write tests than other students, and they are given other aids to even the playing field according to their disability? This applies to college and university too. So while a mentally disabled graduate may be expected to have the same skill level as other graduates, they may need some similar accommodations in the workplace too. Laws can vary but employers are generally expected to accommodate disabilities to a reasonable extent, but what is reasonable will depend on the companies resources.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 2:50am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do judo with a guy that has cp. I like him actually. He has a job and tries to live a normal life... He is not so "fast" in judo ofc.. but .. he is actually a blue belt.. belt ranking doesn't really matter though.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 8:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    Fucking hell, some of these people must live in an alternate reality. It's called a disability because there are somethings that the person cannot do. Fighting is one of these things
    but apparently fighting crime is not

"The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 8:17am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now I want to see a Down Syndrome Lex Luthor. Can I have one of those tickets please honest truth? And save me a seat at the front.
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast