Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:37pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I hope you remember this post the next time you rip apart someone for not representing your art correctly.
    .hes also not teaching it online .....really thats the best you got...jesus your disappointing lately....
    Last edited by ciscodog; 5/02/2010 9:39pm at . Reason: just to revise

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:42pm

Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
    So you really think hes going to wake up one day from downs and be cured??? He will suddenly have the same mental and physical development as his age??? He should be a h.s. freshman and hes doing 4th grade work....by the time hes 25 if hes lucky he will be at 8th grade level...
    You need to re-read my post. At no point did I predict he would fully recover, gain super powers, and defeat lex luthor in fisticufts. All I'm saying is that it's possible his cognitive abilities may improve. If he habitually gets "honorary" awards and his cognitive functions improve to the point that he realizes it, it could cause feelings of depression. Your entire argument is based on the assumption that he will forever remain severely mentally handicaped.

Aside from the boy, don't you think this could negatively effect other people with mental disabilities? If all the handicap people get honorary degrees/belts/rewards it dampens the percieved public recognition for legitimate accomplishments

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
    .hes also not teaching it online .....really thats the best you got...jesus your disappointing lately....
    Jesus has nothing to do with your current level of disappointment. The point you miss is, giving ranks to people that don't earn them leads to these type of problems. You are complaining about a fat crappy Goju artist on one thread but, adding a caveat because someone has a mental issue.

There are a Billion ways to give someone Kudos that doesn't hurt your style. Hell an HONORARY BLACK BELT would work just as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Jesus has nothing to do with your current level of disappointment. The point you miss is, giving ranks to people that don't earn them leads to these type of problems. You are complaining about a fat crappy Goju artist on one thread but, adding a caveat because someone has a mental issue.

There are a Billion ways to give someone Kudos that doesn't hurt your style. Hell an HONORARY BLACK BELT would work just as well.
    id bet it is and he wont be teaching any classes anytime soon....and this hurts karate how? Any one with an i.q. higher than the kid will be able to tell that maybe he isnt able to teach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 10:04pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog
    id bet it is and he wont be teaching any classes anytime soon....and this hurts karate how? Any one with an i.q. higher than the kid will be able to tell that maybe he isnt able to teach.
    Did you SEE the guy who gave it to him?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 10:17pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by White Kimbo View Post
    you type very well. what is your diagnosis? you are obviously high functioning.

good job on hitting people with planets. judo is fun. what's your kyu rank?

and, this is what i'm talking about. people respond to what they earned. it doesn't matter if they are downs, aspergers, autistic, or just plain old regular joes. give out the "you're awesome" certificates or patches if you want, but rank is earned. as long as a student is capable of understanding the concept of hard work and skill based rank, they will appreciate what they have.

i'm not special needs (other than dyslexia, but that doesn't apply here) and i treasure my judo yellow belt. i enjoy being a yellow belt and rising to the expectations that are inferred by that rank. i look forward to the day when i will have my next rank up.

THAT IS NOT A FOREIGN CONCEPT TO THOSE WITH SPECIAL NEEDS!

if a special needs student earns a black belt, mazel tov to them! if the most they can get is a mid ranked color belt, then that's cool too. it at least means that they are working hard and progressing at their own rate. that is to be commended. don't be condescending to these people by giving them pity rank. they will figure it out. more damage could be done.
    PDD-NOS. That being said it depends on who you ask, some people I have worked with seem to be obsessed with putting me into the Asperger's Syndrome subclass. Then again, a label is just a label, it is the underlying problem that matters, and how you deal with it.

I am a nikyu. Shooting for ikkyu when I'm ready.

Despite everything that kid in the video has going against him he still shows up to train at his dojo, and people complain that he got dan rank?
    Well, yeah. Isn't grading based on attendance something that we denounce here?

The problem is that the kid recieved the same dan rank as everyone else without being able to do what most people would expect of a black belt. That's kind of like giving a black belt in TKD to a man in a wheelchair.

I have completed my college degree in 3 years instead of 2 because I did have a concession in the form of less classes per semester due to stress-related issues. I got the same paper as everyone else because I can do the same things that everyone else with the same paper is able to do. If I had failed my exams, would they have given me a diploma anyway because I'm mentally ill? Hell no. You draw the links yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 10:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    PDD-NOS. That being said it depends on who you ask, some people I have worked with seem to be obsessed with putting me into the Asperger's Syndrome subclass. Then again, a label is just a label, it is the underlying problem that matters, and how you deal with it.

I am a nikyu. Shooting for ikkyu when I'm ready.

Well, yeah. Isn't grading based on attendance something that we denounce here?

The problem is that the kid recieved the same dan rank as everyone else without being able to do what most people would expect of a black belt. That's kind of like giving a black belt in TKD to a man in a wheelchair.

I have completed my college degree in 3 years instead of 2 because I did have a concession in the form of less classes per semester due to stress-related issues. I got the same paper as everyone else because I can do the same things that everyone else with the same paper is able to do. If I had failed my exams, would they have given me a diploma anyway because I'm mentally ill? Hell no. You draw the links yourself.

this kid will be lucky to make it to 8th grade developmentally at best in his life....and you compare yourself to him????

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 10:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    4th grade level, not 4 year old. Also, I was born with holes in my heart and had open heart surgery when I was 8. They can fix that **** up nowadays with nary a side-effect (I have a EF of 50% vs 55-65% in a typical heart).
    Having atrial or ventricular septal defects in this day and age won't **** with your life in the same way having Down's syndrome will. Between your abilities and his, there is no comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 11:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not just give him an Honorary Black Belt, or a Gold Belt, he will think its fucking better.

He can't understand much, so give him some absurd rank that makes him feel happy, that also isn't an actual rank.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not comparing my heart defect to his mental issues. Some folks were taking an issue of the many odds stacked against him and I am pointing out that some are not as bad as they sound.

Also.

:Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast