Administrator

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:24pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
    Give the kid a doctorate, who gives a ****, hes not going to get hired as a doctor...hes been through more **** in his 15 years than most people in there entire lives as far as challenges. Hell if it makes him happy and he still participates, who fucking cares. God forbid he gets any satisfaction or joy out of life.
    I hope you remember this post the next time you rip apart someone for not representing your art correctly.

Posted On:

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I am all for giving down syndrome kid the black belt and I consider martial arts for being more than just fighting. In fact if you have got your black belt for only your fighting and not any sort of statement on your charector than I would kind of consider you a peice of ****.
    Like I would care what a cappoerista thinks about (striking)martial arts... Might as well ask a waltz champion about Judo.

I want to see the dude that gets a degree for "charector".
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Registered Member

Posted On:

Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
    Give the kid a doctorate, who gives a ****, hes not going to get hired as a doctor...hes been through more **** in his 15 years than most people in there entire lives as far as challenges. Hell if it makes him happy and he still participates, who fucking cares. God forbid he gets any satisfaction or joy out of life.

You don't realize the potential damage this could do. What if the kid's mental state improves to the point that he realizes he was given the belt out of sympathy? He will both be pissed at the people who babied him and he will feel ashamed for accepting unearned praise.

This also damages other people with mental disabilities. Some of them are genuinely able to overcome challenges and get infuriated when people fail to aknowledge their achievements because they assume it must have been given out of pity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:26pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosJesena View Post
    I have no problem with him getting a black belt as long as he deserved it. I totally agree that good fighter ONLY =/= black belt. BUT being a good fighter is ONE OF the criteria for the black belt.

Sigh... Fine, keep ignoring the points of my posts. I give up.
    See thats the problem your posts have no point.....If you met that kid and he said " i'm a black belt" would you be scared of him, fearful he might kick your ass???? If he said " im a doctor, pull down your pants"...would you? If you answered "yes" to either question your an imbecile....and should not leave the house ever.

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq View Post
    Like I would care what a cappoerista thinks about (striking)martial arts... Might as well ask a waltz champion about Judo.

I want to see the dude that gets a degree for "charector".

but you replied anyway

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamash View Post
    You don't realize the potential damage this could do. What if the kid's mental state improves to the point that he realizes he was given the belt out of sympathy? He will both be pissed at the people who babied him and he will feel ashamed for accepting unearned praise.

This also damages other people with mental disabilities. Some of them are genuinely able to overcome challenges and get infuriated when people fail to aknowledge their achievements because they assume it must have been given out of pity.

I am sure that if the kid magicly overcomes down syndrome he wil be worried about holding an unfair black belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamash View Post

So you really think hes going to wake up one day from downs and be cured??? He will suddenly have the same mental and physical development as his age??? He should be a h.s. freshman and hes doing 4th grade work....by the time hes 25 if hes lucky he will be at 8th grade level...

Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4th grade level, not 4 year old. Also, I was born with holes in my heart and had open heart surgery when I was 8. They can fix that **** up nowadays with nary a side-effect (I have a EF of 50% vs 55-65% in a typical heart).

I think pitying and lowering standards for people with disabilities is more of a disservice to them than giving rewards for things they didn't really achieve. Even by krotty standards, his technique looked sloppy. Does this mean he may never be able to achieve a black belt? Possibly, but he probably will never be able to get a pilots license either.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I am sure that if the kid magicly overcomes down syndrome he wil be worried about holding an unfair black belt.

lmao exactly.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    4th grade level, not 4 year old. Also, I was born with holes in my heart and had open heart surgery when I was 8. They can fix that **** up nowadays with nary a side-effect (I have a EF of 50% vs 55-65% in a typical heart).

I think pitying and lowering standards for people with disabilities is more of a disservice to them than giving rewards for things they didn't really achieve. Even by krotty standards, his technique looked sloppy. Does this mean he may never be able to achieve a black belt? Possibly, but he probably will never be able to get a pilots license either.

4th grade level at 15....hows the chronic asthma you didnt mention or the downs...fucking lame arguments..
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast