Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 8:41pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he has development of a 4 year old at 15....karma is hunting you as we speak...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 8:46pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karma, my ass. Downs could've taken up marathon running and gotten a similar result.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 8:46pm

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    I am autistic.

If my instructor dared to give me a feel-good black belt (well, he can't, but let's assume he could) I'd throw it back in his face.

Rewards should be for ability, not for pity fits. It's possible that the kid could never reach krotty black belt grade. But at least he would have the feeling that everything he has achieved, he has achieved on par with the other normal folks while fighting against his disability.

When I got into judo, I was fat as **** in addition to being socially retarded. I just got in thinking, "well that's okay if I'm not very good at hitting people with planets, I'll get to the limit of where I can go, at least, and do my best". Due to my efforts, I actually got pretty good at hitting people with planets.

I am physically clumsy, that's part of the diagnosis. I keep up only because I'm obsessed. But I swear to God, if I'm going to tie around a judo BB one day I'll make damn sure that I can stand up to my rank against lolneurotypical folks.

Speaking for myself, I think that this is a slight against us, the mentally ill, saying that we're way too fucked up to stand for ourselves in society and that we must be judged according to a different scale, the pity scale.
    Well said. It's like giving someone mentally disabled a bachelor's degree out of pity or want to boost his self esteem. If the kid really did work on it, showed the ability deserving of a black belt then no problem. But if it was one of those "awww I'll give him a black belt to make him feel better" cases, the instructor should be choked out ASAP.

The thing about disabled people is there ae certain situations in which they must be treated with a different standard. Credentials is not one of them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 8:47pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^This.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 8:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you take yourself way to seriously to have a problem with this, and arent nearly thankful enough for the gifts you have.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosJesena View Post
    Well said. It's like giving someone mentally disabled a bachelor's degree out of pity or want to boost his self esteem. If the kid really did work on it, showed the ability deserving of a black belt then no problem. But if it was one of those "awww I'll give him a black belt to make him feel better" cases, the instructor should be choked out ASAP.

The thing about disabled people is there ae certain situations in which they must be treated with a different standard. Credentials is not one of them.

Give the kid a doctorate, who gives a ****, hes not going to get hired as a doctor...hes been through more **** in his 15 years than most people in there entire lives as far as challenges. Hell if it makes him happy and he still participates, who fucking cares. God forbid he gets any satisfaction or joy out of life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
    Give the kid a doctorate, who gives a ****, hes not going to get hired as a doctor...hes been through more **** in his 15 years than most people in there entire lives as far as challenges. Hell if it makes him happy and he still participates, who fucking cares. God forbid he gets any satisfaction or joy out of life.
    You need to be given a black belt to get that? Seriously, let's say you're a college student. Then you find out your professor got his degree from some diploma mill. How would you feel? Almost the same thing here. The black belt is gonna start losing ALL its meaning if people keep handing it out.

Don't get me wrong, man. I have nothing but respect and sympathy for the mentally impaired. Hell, I used to teach every week at a school for the mentally disabled. I'm just saying that these credentials are standardized and should not be given out unless a student meets the criteria for these credentials. For the sake of comparison, it's like the board exam for doctors or engineers. There's a standard people have to meet to be given that title. Just like that, there's a certain standard people need to meet before being given a black belt.

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am all for giving down syndrome kid the black belt and I consider martial arts for being more than just fighting. In fact if you have got your black belt for only your fighting and not any sort of statement on your charector than I would kind of consider you a peice of ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosJesena View Post
    You need to be given a black belt to get that? Seriously, let's say you're a college student. Then you find out your professor got his degree from some diploma mill. How would you feel? Almost the same thing here. The black belt is gonna start losing ALL its meaning if people keep handing it out.

Don't get me wrong, man. I have nothing but respect and sympathy for the mentally impaired. Hell, I used to teach every week at a school for the mentally disabled. I'm just saying that these credentials are standardized and should not be given out unless a student meets the criteria for these credentials. For the sake of comparison, it's like the board exam for doctors or engineers. There's a standard people have to meet to be given that title. Just like that, there's a certain standard people need to meet before being given a black belt.

The kid in the video looks like it would be tough for him to make a sandwich, forget about teaching college....would you hire the kid as an engineer or doctor even if he had a diploma...?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I am all for giving down syndrome kid the black belt and I consider martial arts for being more than just fighting. In fact if you have got your black belt for only your fighting and not any sort of statement on your charector than I would kind of consider you a peice of ****.
    I have no problem with him getting a black belt as long as he deserved it. I totally agree that good fighter ONLY =/= black belt. BUT being a good fighter is ONE OF the criteria for the black belt.

Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
    The kid in the video looks like it would be tough for him to make a sandwich, forget about teaching college....would you hire the kid as an engineer or doctor even if he had a diploma...?
    Sigh... Fine, keep ignoring the points of my posts. I give up.
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast