Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 6:32pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didnt start this thread to mock handicap people, but i also had the same questions.

Is it ever ethical to lower the standards ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 6:57pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adouglasmhor View Post
    It's a bujinkan dojo I train at, make up your own answer.
    life altering lols just occured

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 7:00pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth
    Is it ever ethical to lower the standards ?
    No, never. Give the guy a black belt in "Being Awesome" to boost his self-esteem. Don't give him one that signals to other people and himself that he can fight.

Because, of course, martial arts is always unequivocally about fighting.

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 7:17pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not all black belts are created equal. I've sparred ni-dans[sp] in Kyokushin who have a complete open guard and wonder why its so easy for me to put a fist or a foot there.

Oh well.

I think a big difference is that in some styles, a belt is more of representation of how long you've been training and you are the best you can be at that level. It's a big difference to BJJ where I'm not guarantee'd any belt or grade due to the time I've spent there. It has to do more with how good I am.

With that though, if someone came up and said I'm a black belt in BJJ, I tend to go "wo'h ..." it carries more weight with it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 7:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by White Kimbo View Post
    now, the shmuck who is giving it to him....... that's another story. the boy does deserve recognition and reward, but not an award that comes with a high level of expertise (or at least expected expertise).
    Exactly, and that the real problem. It has nothing to do with the child, his parents, or rewards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 7:38pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    To the clowns that think this is something to make fun of:

**** you. So what if a kid with Downs gets given a black belt?! Flame me if you will but I think anyone who takes the piss out of someone who is handicapped is a fucking loser. You might think this makes great comedic material or that it's 'bullshido' to give someone like him a belt for doing his best but that just proves that don't know **** about life.

To the OP, I've never trained with anybody with a disability but I wouldn't have a problem. It's important that they are equipped with some basic defence moves but it's also good for them to get a boost in self esteem through training. There was a blind guy in my college who used to do judo, it didn't seem to cause him any problems but then again that was a physical disability as opposed to mental. Interesting topic but one that needs to be treated with respect.
    I am autistic.

If my instructor dared to give me a feel-good black belt (well, he can't, but let's assume he could) I'd throw it back in his face.

Rewards should be for ability, not for pity fits. It's possible that the kid could never reach krotty black belt grade. But at least he would have the feeling that everything he has achieved, he has achieved on par with the other normal folks while fighting against his disability.

When I got into judo, I was fat as **** in addition to being socially retarded. I just got in thinking, "well that's okay if I'm not very good at hitting people with planets, I'll get to the limit of where I can go, at least, and do my best". Due to my efforts, I actually got pretty good at hitting people with planets.

I am physically clumsy, that's part of the diagnosis. I keep up only because I'm obsessed. But I swear to God, if I'm going to tie around a judo BB one day I'll make damn sure that I can stand up to my rank against lolneurotypical folks.

Speaking for myself, I think that this is a slight against us, the mentally ill, saying that we're way too fucked up to stand for ourselves in society and that we must be judged according to a different scale, the pity scale.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 7:59pm

Style: Getting less fat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    I am autistic.

If my instructor dared to give me a feel-good black belt (well, he can't, but let's assume he could) I'd throw it back in his face.

Rewards should be for ability, not for pity fits. It's possible that the kid could never reach krotty black belt grade. But at least he would have the feeling that everything he has achieved, he has achieved on par with the other normal folks while fighting against his disability.

When I got into judo, I was fat as **** in addition to being socially retarded. I just got in thinking, "well that's okay if I'm not very good at hitting people with planets, I'll get to the limit of where I can go, at least, and do my best". Due to my efforts, I actually got pretty good at hitting people with planets.

I am physically clumsy, that's part of the diagnosis. I keep up only because I'm obsessed. But I swear to God, if I'm going to tie around a judo BB one day I'll make damn sure that I can stand up to my rank against lolneurotypical folks.

Speaking for myself, I think that this is a slight against us, the mentally ill, saying that we're way too fucked up to stand for ourselves in society and that we must be judged according to a different scale, the pity scale.
    This is one of the best statements I have read in many years.

Thank you.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 8:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am autistic.

you type very well. what is your diagnosis? you are obviously high functioning.

good job on hitting people with planets. judo is fun. what's your kyu rank?

and, this is what i'm talking about. people respond to what they earned. it doesn't matter if they are downs, aspergers, autistic, or just plain old regular joes. give out the "you're awesome" certificates or patches if you want, but rank is earned. as long as a student is capable of understanding the concept of hard work and skill based rank, they will appreciate what they have.

i'm not special needs (other than dyslexia, but that doesn't apply here) and i treasure my judo yellow belt. i enjoy being a yellow belt and rising to the expectations that are inferred by that rank. i look forward to the day when i will have my next rank up.

THAT IS NOT A FOREIGN CONCEPT TO THOSE WITH SPECIAL NEEDS!

if a special needs student earns a black belt, mazel tov to them! if the most they can get is a mid ranked color belt, then that's cool too. it at least means that they are working hard and progressing at their own rate. that is to be commended. don't be condescending to these people by giving them pity rank. they will figure it out. more damage could be done.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 8:30pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am autistic.

Well your mental development is far above the kid in the video, perhaps thats why more is expected from you by yourself and your instructors.... and hadnt the kid already had open heart surgery at an early age, i thought i heard chronic asthma also. Despite everything that kid in the video has going against him he still shows up to train at his dojo, and people complain that he got dan rank? This thread doesnt belong in y.m.a.s. but maybe a y.s.b.a.y. forum should be created.. aka you should be ashamed of yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 8:36pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog
    This thread doesnt belong in y.m.a.s. but maybe a y.s.b.a.y. forum should be created.. aka you should be ashamed of yourself.
    Bullshit. Autistic dude who works hard is, in my opinion, different from Downs who gets Happy Funtime Imaginaryland from his parents and everyone around him.

In reality, being mentally handicapped/disabled doesn't mean you're stupid, and everybody around this guy with Down is treating him like a soft delicate flower. Which is total nonsense.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast