Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 5:23pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad
    To the clowns that think this is something to make fun of:

**** you. So what if a kid with Downs gets given a black belt?! Flame me if you will but I think anyone who takes the piss out of someone who is handicapped is a fucking loser. You might think this makes great comedic material or that it's 'bullshido' to give someone like him a belt for doing his best but that just proves that don't know **** about life.
    I wouldn't have any problem if he was actually good.

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 5:32pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Octopussy!

Posted On:

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fucking hell, some of these people must live in an alternate reality. It's called a disability because there are somethings that the person cannot do. Fighting is one of these things, in this case. Putting a black belt on him won't change that. Although I guess fighting ability is of little importance in generic karate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have thought that BJJ would be more a natural art for them than krotty them little fella's always love to go in for a cuddle.

Yes I am aware im going to hell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 5:34pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, we can get discount rates if we have a large group

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 5:38pm

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth View Post
    Does your club have mentally challenged people and do they spar ?
    Disability in BJJ - No BS MMA and Martial Arts
    There is a slightly older thread about disabilities in grappling, which people might be interested in.

And yeah, I don't care if a disabled person gets a BB, I see no reason why he shouldn't meet the criteria for one (mc'dojo BB or otherwise).

So who's gonna open the pool on when someone posts that "superman-downs-syndrome-kid" pic first?

my bet is real soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post

**** you. So what if a kid with Downs gets given a black belt?! Flame me if you will but I think anyone who takes the piss out of someone who is handicapped is a fucking loser. You might think this makes great comedic material or that it's 'bullshido' to give someone like him a belt for doing his best but that just proves that don't know **** about life.

To the OP, I've never trained with anybody with a disability but I wouldn't have a problem. It's important that they are equipped with some basic defence moves but it's also good for them to get a boost in self esteem through training. There was a blind guy in my college who used to do judo, it didn't seem to cause him any problems but then again that was a physical disability as opposed to mental. Interesting topic but one that needs to be treated with respect.
    It seems that you're the one "that don't know **** about life". In real life, rewards are, or used to be, based on accomplishments. Insisting on giving kids, and adults increasingly, "a boost in self esteem" every time they do anything is precisely how martial arts got so watered down in this country. Judging by the few snippets I saw, I don't see how any honest person can say that kid deserves a black belt. I think all people should strive to push beyond their limitations but it's completely dishonest to pretend those limitations don't exist. Everyone in this boy's life, from his parents, to his sensei, to his classmates, to the anchor people reporting the story, is lying to him.

Hopefully, his parents keep a tight enough leash on him that he won't ever be in a position to challenge a "bad guy" or "rescue" someone in need. If so,then there's no harm done to him. I do think, though, that this hurts the other kids by cheapening their efforts. How long before they realize, and resent, that the kid who can't even stay in tempo during a punching drill gets a prize that they've actually had to work for? The students with integrity will leave that school, perhaps leave martial arts altogether, while the ones who can't see past "a boost in self esteem" will perpetuate the mcdojo cycle by opening their own schools and giving rank to any eight year old who can do the splits or a backflip. In this case, equality does not equal fairness.
    Last edited by dougguod; 5/02/2010 6:34pm at .

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 6:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    Fucking hell, some of these people must live in an alternate reality. It's called a disability because there are somethings that the person cannot do. Fighting is one of these things, in this case. Putting a black belt on him won't change that. Although I guess fighting ability is of little importance in generic karate.
    No, It just proves that katas are good for something.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 6:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post

It proves nothing of the sort except your or my opinion of bad taste in jokes.

To the OP, I've never trained with anybody with a disability but I wouldn't have a problem. It's important that they are equipped with some basic defence moves but it's also good for them to get a boost in self esteem through training.
    This has nothing at all to do with receiving a black belt.

There was a blind guy in my college who used to do judo, it didn't seem to cause him any problems but then again that was a physical disability as opposed to mental.
    Okay.

Interesting topic but one that needs to be treated with respect.
    Or the dead horse can be left in the ground.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm actually really happy with this boy. born with holes in his heart and asthma along with down syndrome is more than anybody would want to deal with.

he's obviously worked hard and does deserve a reward for his work. i don't fault him or his family for accepting a black belt.

now, the shmuck who is giving it to him....... that's another story. the boy does deserve recognition and reward, but not an award that comes with a high level of expertise (or at least expected expertise).
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast