Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 12:38am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simio de las Rocas View Post
    I can't help feeling particularly sorry for people who have absolutely ZERO understanding for koryu iemoto titles.

It is also really important to remember that Karate - especially Goju emanated from the Ryukyu islands which were not part of main land Japan (at the time) and therefore had no indigenous bushi classes (samurai) Why is this important ?

Koryu iemoto titles, for example "Kyoshi" are titles bestowed upon those of Samurai standing. Funny that, an instructor of an art of non-bushi origin using a Samurai title.

Now, that said, what I've just described is quite simplistic in nature because I accept there are organisations (legitimate ones in Japan today) who still issue such titles today, when, as we know the bushi class structure ceased following the Meiji Restoration in 1886 (if my memory is correct) Their use of these titles is a throwback to older times and forms part of their art's tradition.

To see a "kyoshi" of Karate is odd enough, to see one from within Goju or a similar style is bloody ridiculous
    Actually, from what I've researched, Ryukyu did have a "samurai" class of it's own called the pechin, and I used quotations because they were like samurai.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 6:50am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that's possibly the case but its not in context of what was being discussed - koryu iemoto used within the Bushi classes of mainland Japan.

Karate was 'primarily', prior too its introduction to mainland Japan a peasents martial system therefore you would not have seen a Kyoshi within a school of empty hand.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 7:45am

Style: BJJ (faixa branca)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Barton View Post
    If your buddy studied with Bahiy then he will know how tough he is.
    Yes, absolutely. It just so happaned that I was discussing this with him on Saturday, then saw this thread yesterday. I don't know much about the style, but what my friend told me, much of the shinjimasu training theories are positive in the light of bullshido.net general opinion, which is why I was surprised to see the style as the name of a mabs thread.

Of course, apart from good training, mcdojoism, inflated ranks, and made up ranks should be called out. Being good in one area isn't a pass to be creepy in others.

Just now learning about the style, I had no idea of the politics and discordant curriculum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 8:39am

Style: Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, that is the reason that people like Bahiy usually actually teach other styles. He focuses on Jujitsu. I left Shaolin Goju and I had always refused to do anything but the classic Goju kata, and that was all that I would ever teach to my students. The common factor has always been based on fighting. So as far as real fighting skills you are looking at what is generally a tough bunch of folks. But inconsistency in other areas and politics and false claims are also rampant and all of it is centered around severe communication problems.
    After over 20 years in the organization I can say that I don't think that it is going to survive the test of time ultimately because though it keeps getting bigger it gets less organized each day.

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 1:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ted Parker is my dad...who are you? And yes, I grew up with working out with Fletcher (deceased), Rhett, Stokes, Gallop...etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 3:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am the Head Abbot for Shinijimasu who was appointed after Saint Adeogba in Chaparral left the position. I know your dad Thadeus, I used to train with him in his back yard on Sundays, I taught for Gallop at his school when it was still on Blountstown Hwy. I taught the FAMU class in Gaither Gym and the ROTC building across the street in the lat 80s, the same class that your father was teaching in the early 70s. I know Steven Stokes, and Rhett, Johnny Burns, Bahiy (in fact I remember what his name was before he changed it to Bahiy) and Randall Snow and even Ed Brown from when he was in Houston. I was there the last class that Leon Fletcher ever taught. In fact at his funeral, after your father stood in the rain and shoveled some dirt into the hole he handed the shovel over and I did the same as did quite a few of the old students, because your father said to the grave diggers "we bury our own". Ask him about that day.
    But not only do I know the ones from the Tallahassee area I also know the California crew and the El Paso crew, and even some of the ones from Africa. And the NYC crew also and the San Antonio group and lots of the individuals from here and there.
    My opinion is very much based on having been there and knowing these people and having been an officer of the organization and having dealt with people from all over the organization. I have the greatest respect for everyone that I just named. There is no question of the martial arts skill in traditional arts.
    You do not have to like my opinion, people rarely do and frankly my loss of sleep over it is minimal. You don't have to agree with me but my opinion is based on first hand knowledge. And that is who I am in answer to your question.
    As for why I am not active in SIMA anymore there are reasons and one very specific reason. But I do not air that in public fora, though I have no problem calmly sharing it with some members holding a senior ranking.
    Blessings,
    P.S.
    Give my regards to your father he is one of the finest teachers that I have ever known.

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 4:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Kwan Do, Shaolin Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried to go through all of this the best I could, I'll tell you now Gallop's name is on the back of my Gi and that's all I'll say about myself personally at the moment. Not for my sake, but I don't want my brothers in our dojo [which is separate from Gallop's] or my Kyoshi to get into any kind of trouble because of me.

WARNING: If you give a damn about this topic and value my opinion enough to read this post, you will be in for abit of a long haul.

First off I'd like to talk about the art. Shaolin Goju is very real, my teacher focuses on it, Tai Kwan Do, Goju Ryu, Tai Chi, Kick Boxing, and even Boxing. Depends on what the man wants to show us that day.

Gallop's classes are different and as are his methods. I've yet to hear anything good about this attitude from anyone I practice with. The man practices in the art of expensive equipment, high monthly rates, pushing you for that private training [if you can afford it] and even skipping belts.

The man favors students in the most ridiculous matter. I know one kid who won't cease to brag on how he "skipped a belt because [he] impressed Gallop." My sparring partner himself spoke to me today about how "gallop is pretty much all about money"

"he just wants as many black belts under him as possible. don't get.me wrong he knows alot but he is not particularly my favorite person for the sole fact that he allows ppl to skip belts. he let 2 kids START at red belt he let [names removed] dad become a renshi after only a few private lessons."

Gallop himself even approached my good friend with some sort of program. I don't remember the name but it was described as buying a black belt with a white line along it for I think it was..somewhere between $500-$550. This belt allowed free access to conventions hosted by Gallop [otherwise a $75 fee per] and access to blackbelt classes [I'll ask about the rates on those but this "new belt" doesn't get you in for free], whilst he's offered it to more close students for free, including many of the blackbelts attending him.

And his website, you wanna talk about the site? His old one was good, the pictures painted a vision of a Gallop fresh from bootcamp, fully fit and ready to teach. A shame he can't hide it anymore, the man has very much let himself go. He may still have his skill, I'm sure, and he has something to teach the world, just not for free, by no means.

I can rate his program from both first and second hand experiences, as total Bullshido.

Sad thing is, my Kyoshi is the kindest person you'll meet, someone so damned enthused with the arts he does everything he can with what little he has. We even pitch in regularly to aid in the development of our small, un air-conditioned dojo.

If you've got any personal questions feel free to comment or inbox me, and for the record, I made my account for this post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2013 1:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    InjunJoe, I feel ya man I really do. If your teacher is who i think he is, he used to run a program at the Boys club in Valdosta. e are talking late 80s here LOL. I remember going there with gallop to teach.

Unfortunately everything that you say is true. I wish that it were otherwise but it is what it is. The saddest part is tat Gallop is really a good fighter and really good with kata and his understanding of the mechanics of movement and practical application is perceptive in the extreme. His first wife Margaret as also really fantastic and did most of the kata instruction back then. But that as a time hen Ted Parker, Leon Fletcher or Johnny Burns were apt to walk in any moment. And those three had zero tolerance for bs back then and would call people out on it. Ben Love was still active then and Master McAdams was around so there ere a lot of people who would call him out or would call anyone out.

Give your teacher my regards he is a good man and I have not seen him in 25 years.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456