Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 3:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shinjimasu/Goju

Alas, Professor Kiyoshi Gallop's emailer has suddenly stopped working.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2009 11:20pm

Style: Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Gallop and can answer a few of these. As a matter of fact I used to teach at his old school location in the 1980s. Keyoshi he adopted from others who use it. He used to teach mostly shotokan kata and a few goju kata. I guess that he only teaches a couple of goju kata now though he never taught many of them to start with. Once upon a time he could fight quite effectively, I imagine that he is still going to be tough. Shaolin Goju was founded by Charles Dixon who Gallop eventually studied under in the Shinjimasu association, Charles Dixon chose the name Shinjimasu at least by the mid 70s and according to associational documents in 1961.
    I imagine that the reason that the kata so drastically changed since then is that I noticed he no longer has the two people around who taught goju kata, I left around 1990 and I am not sure when Margaret stopped teaching.
    I don't know any of the people that he has teaching there now with the exception of the gentleman in Valdosta for sure and I think that I met the guy in Ocala but then again it has been almost 20 years. Last time that I saw him was in 2004 and we only spoke briefly.
    I left there at a time when things were getting strange I walked in after three months away to ask him to take my name off of the door as an instructor. When I walked in there was a third dan teaching, except he had been in the last class that I taught there three months before this and had only been a green belt for a couple of months at that time. A week later the police cam to me looking for the new 3rd dan and I still had keys to the school and my name was still on the door. Shortly after this my name came off and I gave him the key back.
    As to his ranking, when I left he was a 4th dan, but when grandmaster Leon Fletcher died he had been holding a fifth dan certificate for Gallop for some time and it was in his things. I heard about the 9th dan promotion and I know that it was not originally done through Shinjimasu because I was an officer in the organization at that time. The organization may have now recognized him, I don't know since I left the organization.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 7:37pm

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, a lot of Goju ryu karateka in here. Anyways, this "Kyoshi" is obviously a fake, if he can only do basic kata such the Gekisai dai kata, his rank is most likely that of a greenbelt. He doesn't know who gave him his kyuudan ranking, he doesn't know any Japanese, this guy is a fraud.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 9:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I know that his promotion to 9th dan was not originated through Shinjimasu I was told that his promotions to this rank was simultaneous with another gentleman and that they signed one anothers certificates. But this I can't say that I know because I was not present but I do know that the certificate was not issued through Shinjimasu back when he first popped up with that rank or I would have seen the paperwork. As to Kata, I have no idea why he isn't doing anything past GSD ich and ni. There was a time when he did Sanchin daily and had all of us do it daily, sometimes for months on end. I have known him to do it standing out in a thunderstorm. I've seen him do other Goju kata but I guess that he doesn't anymore.
    In the mid 80's it was a small school with none of the after school programs etc that you see now with no vans to move kids. He had a regular job driving a delivery truck. We used to run while we carried gallon jugs of water and we used to do body conditioning on the trees outside and kumite was nasty and very physical.
    Oh well, I guess that he makes more from his school now but I saw things were starting to slip by1991. I stopped teaching there and even going around sometime in early 91 and I moved out of town in 92. By the time I left people were going directly from green belt to shodan and jumping dan ranks rapidly as in monthly. (I was witness to this)
    I remember a troubling situation where he tried to get certificates issued to recognize his black belts who he had promoted on his own without approval from the association according to procedures, Those black belts were reviewed by senior dan ranks and no certificates were issued to any of them that day. It became a long and drawn out confrontation. (I was present for this also)

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 10:58pm

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only person I know who holds the rank of kyuudan in Goju ryu and is certified is Chuck Merriman, who taught both my instructor for a little and her sensei.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 10:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said he and another guy in Fl. seem to have promoted one another. The last certificate that I saw of his that was awarded was for 5th dan and that was in Shaolin Goju
    and that was in early 92 but the date was actually earlier on the certificate but his instructor had been holding it back for some time. More certificates may have been issued since I left. But I was involved in Shinjimasu at the time he first clkaimed to be a 9th dan and he didn't get the promotion at that time from there. Though since then I have seen that some people have listed him at that rank on various Shinjimasu things though at the time that i left he still did not hold any official offices that would relate to that rank.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 6:05pm

Style: BJJ (faixa branca)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I don't want to **** on a mabs thread, but fyi, shinjimasu folks in my hood also have many and inflated ranks.

http://fearnoman.net/training.html

my boy trained with this guy for while.

But I have a question... the thread is called Goju/Shinjimasu. What is being investigated, Shinjimasu as a style or only Franklin?

As far as I know, Shinjimasu is generally a good, hard sparring Kyokushin offshoot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 6:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There seems to be three topics mixing here. One is about Franklin one is about Shinjimasu. To clarify Gallop Franklin is one guy who teaches, Shinjimasu is an association with people from lots of different styles with a love of hard fighting in common and set up as a corporation. Shaolin Goju is a specific style which is practiced by many but not all Shinjimasu people. To confuse things even more about Shaolin Goju there are two different forms systems which you can use one is entirely made up of Okinawan/Japanese kata and the other is entirely made up of Chinese forms but you can do either form system and get ranked, though ranking is almost always based on fighting and so you can climb to very high ranks without actually doing much in the way of kata and forms. To help the confusion become even deeper there are a bunch of senior ranked Shaolin Goju instructors who are ranked based on fighting and/or politics and many of them are using different form systems other than the two that are approved in the by laws of Shinjimasu.
    Shaolin Goju is the style that has been influenced heavily by very aggressive arts. Most of the senior ranking people started and got their black belts in other styles and then joined Shinjimasu and got promoted so that each one is ranked in Shaolin Goju but looks like their original style so one school may be heavily influenced by early training in Shotokan (Gallop falls into this group) other schools will look more like Goju, some schools will look more like kenpo, some schools look more like Kyokushin Kai (the school near you) it is going to vary drastically with the only thing in common being the love of fighting hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 6:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The link that you posted is for Bahiy he never studied under Gallop, they are about the same age and they both studied Shotokan in the 1970s at a class that was held in a gym on FAMU campus in Tallahassee which was taught by Thaddeus Parker. They both became associated with Shinjimasu when Parker Sensei met Leon Fletcher Sensei who introduced him to Charles Dixon. Bahiy also studied with a gentleman in Quincy Fliorida named Johnny Burns actually this was when he was a kid before he joined Shinjimasu. Bahiy is tough and has focused on Jujitsu for the last two decades though he still practices with Goju people he likes to take them down. Bahiy owns an executive security company but he also does a lot of international training and because of his faith can often go into Islamic countries and teach. He has a lot of Students in Sudan and in the Middle East, In fact I know for sure that after the first gulf war he was contracted by the government of Kuwait to run training for rebuilding the police force in that country. Bahiy is the only Shinjimasu person that I maintain regular contact with any longer.As an aside he never calculates time changes correctly and if he calls from Africa or the Middle East he is guaranteed to wake you up, but I don't mind.
    If your buddy studied with Bahiy then he will know how tough he is.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 12:08am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't help feeling particularly sorry for people who have absolutely ZERO understanding for koryu iemoto titles.

It is also really important to remember that Karate - especially Goju emanated from the Ryukyu islands which were not part of main land Japan (at the time) and therefore had no indigenous bushi classes (samurai) Why is this important ?

Koryu iemoto titles, for example "Kyoshi" are titles bestowed upon those of Samurai standing. Funny that, an instructor of an art of non-bushi origin using a Samurai title.

Now, that said, what I've just described is quite simplistic in nature because I accept there are organisations (legitimate ones in Japan today) who still issue such titles today, when, as we know the bushi class structure ceased following the Meiji Restoration in 1886 (if my memory is correct) Their use of these titles is a throwback to older times and forms part of their art's tradition.

To see a "kyoshi" of Karate is odd enough, to see one from within Goju or a similar style is bloody ridiculous
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast