Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 3:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kase-ha Shotokan-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap, 250 people? I get the feeling that grading at his place is more based on payement than knowledge and skills.
    Last edited by Maiden_Ante; 11/14/2008 4:00am at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 6:27am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dora Milaje
    Could've been a mistake/typo.

Depending on how long he's been an instructor, that alone would make me a little bit nervous.
    Gallop has been around for a long time.
    When I trained with him it was 15 yrs ago after I returned from Korea. My landlord, who I met him through was a former student and a BB, trained with him long before that. So given that time 250 isn't really alot. Its actually kind of small compared to most McDojos.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 8:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shaolin goju karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus
    Two pair of shin guards?

...why?

One pair gets used on the forearms.

Kidding! It's a typo. lol

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 8:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden_Ante
    Holy crap, 250 people? I get the feeling that grading at his place is more based on payement than knowledge and skills.
    Actually, not only is payment NOT the top priority, but grading takes into account more than just knowledge and skills, too. My two sons have been training as long as I have. One is a green belt, the other a red w/white stripe (3 belts higher). The red had wanted to test for a higher belt, but although he has the skills, was told that he couldn't. You see, he had lost a fight to a student black belt recently and handled it very, very poorly. Attitude and self-discipline matter, too.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 9:55am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    Gallop has been around for a long time.
    When I trained with him it was 15 yrs ago after I returned from Korea.
    What was your experience training with him like, if you don't mind my asking? And do you remember Kevin Ash? I'm pretty sure he would've been around at that time. I'm trying to think of who else might have been around that long ago and is still here. Keith Roberts, perhaps? Feel free to PM me with shared acquaintance anecdotes. :icon_mrgr

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by geekwraith
    What was your experience training with him like, if you don't mind my asking? And do you remember Kevin Ash? I'm pretty sure he would've been around at that time. I'm trying to think of who else might have been around that long ago and is still here. Keith Roberts, perhaps? Feel free to PM me with shared acquaintance anecdotes. :icon_mrgr
    Being a poor college student at the time training was sporadic. It was nice training but then more geared to point tournament style sparring. The drag down knock out sparring was isn't very often but fun and good when it happened.

I think I remember Ash but not Roberts. I remember a huge black guy who used to work as a bouncer part time named Ty. I remember he sidekicked me across the room once.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Goju/Shinjimasu

Does anyone know Gallop's karate of Tallahassee, FL ? This site may be worth a visit.

<http://www.gallopskarate.com>

Gallop Franklin (yes, it IS that way around) has got lots and lost of dans in Goju and stuff and teaches 'Shinjimasu' karate among other things. I sent him the following message. Probably very childish of me. Anyone interested in hearing what he says when he answers?

Franklin Sensei,

I'm interested in your school; but can you answer a few questions for me, please?

1. Who gave you a ninth dan in Goju? You use a very close approximation to the clenched fist symbol trademarked in the USA by Yamaguchi Gosei

(http://www.gojukai.com/goju-kai1.html).

Can it be that Yamaguchi sama ranked you? He's a ninth dan too. You MUST be good - only one level below the great Yamaguchi Gogen! On the other hand, what's 'Shaolin Goju'?

2. Why don't you use any Goju kata apart from the Gekisai? Why is your Gekisai dai ni so different from the one I know? In your videoclips the kata are done slowly and without any focus; but I guess that's just for demonstration purposes. BTW: the plural of 'kata' is 'kata' (型), not 'katas.'

3. Why Shinjimasu? 信じる (shinjiru) is a transitive verb ('believe in'; 'trust'); 'shinjimasu' is the 'polite form'. It doesn't make sense without a subject or an object. Yes, I read your acronym; but it's still not what 'shinjimasu' means.

4. Why 'Kiyoshi' (on your gi) - which can mean, among many other things, 'yellow world corpse.' I think you mean 卿師 - kyo shi. BTW: who gave you this title?

5. Can you really teach karate to three-year olds? How's it done?

6. The large document on the wall behind your photographs (too small to read apart from 空手道) seems to be written left-to-right. Unusual in my experience, certainly.

Yours respectfully in Budo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 7:41pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [MABS mode]Search function new person:

Gallop's Karate - No BS Martial Arts

[/MABS mode]

**Waiting for YMAS.......**

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2009 7:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Goju/Shinjimasu

Hmm ...

Yes; but nobody asked any questions about his credentials/authenticity. I don't see why this guy shouldn't be wound up a little. If I don't get a reply today, I'll send him another message and post it here. If no one is interested in this, well ... end of thread, I guess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2009 10:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I sent him this anyway ...

Franklin Sensei,

Well, I guess you’re not going to answer my questions. So here’s two cents’ worth of advice.

1. If you don’t know Japanese, don’t use it. There’ll always be somebody out there who won’t buy BS. There’s no quicker way to make a fool of yourself than by trying to impress in a language you don’t understand.

2. If you claim very high dan ranks, tell the public who gave them to you, when, and for what.

3. Tell them also who made you a ‘Professor’ and ‘Kyoshi’ (or ‘Kiyoshi,’ if you insist).

4. Suppressio veri and suggestio falsi are old tricks, but tricks nonetheless.. Don’t resort to them if you want people to think you an honorable man. ‘He currently holds a ninth degree black belt in Goju karate.’ Sure, you don’t say it outright, and you do use the phrase ‘Shaolin Goju’; but you IMPLY that you have a genuine Goju lineage from Yamaguchi Osensei by (i) using the trademarked clenched fist badge and (ii) publishing photographs of your students in front of a mural of Miyagi Chojun and Yamaguchi Gogen. So not a direct falsehood, but not the truth, either. (BTW: I guess Yamaguchi Gosei could sue the kiyoshi off you if he chose.)

5. Put a few videoclips of yourself on YouTube and let people criticise you.

It appears to me that you’re running a McDojo. Why am I hostile to McDojos? Because they bring the martial arts into disrepute. Why do I think that yours is one? . . .

1. You seem (from the clips on your site) to teach only very basic kata, and those in an idiosyncratic and impracticable way. The Sanchin demonstrated (by a very young person) on your videoclip is unbelievably bad; the other demonstrations are weak and show no understanding. You don't mention bunkai at all. I can't believe that you award people ranks for doing this stuff: and, worst of all, kid them into believing that they will be able to defend themselves.

2. You’re very strong on appealing to the mommies and daddies and stressing the ‘fun for all the family’ thing. That’s karate, is it? Watch a video of Mas. Oyama sparring.

3. You claim very senior dan ranks in 'Goju karate' and Nisei Goju, but (with the exception of Gekisai dai ichi and a modified Gekisai dai ni) you don't appear to teach any of the traditional Goju ryu kata or any of the Urban kata.

4. You make exceptionally grandiose claims for yourself without substantiating them. How is it possible for anyone to have as many genuine dans or to have studied as many arts (properly) as you claim? The parents of Tallahassee maybe haven't figured this out.

5. You let people draw erroneous conclusions about your credentials by presenting selective, ambiguous and massaged information.

6. You apparently award dan ranks to children.

7. You sell ‘custom’ sparring gear, and make buying it mandatory.

8. You seem to regard karate as a business, not a ‘way.’

BTW: believe me, my GRANDMOTHER could've pushed you off your Sanchin stance (judging from your photograph); and you’re a ninth dan?????

Anytime you don't feel close to God, ask yourself whether God wants to be around phonies.

You’re still very welcome to reply.

彼は「みなさん、さよなら。」と言って立ち上がった。

さよなら、気楽にやってね。
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast