224845 Bullies, 3628 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie
    quick question... what is it with all the pads... head gear, shin gear... this and that gear...

im use to mouth peice(optional in kumite) and knuckle guards...

and truthfully wearing all the other gear sucks, no natural feel. And because of all the gear people tend to lax on their training of control.
    May I then direct you to the following article:

So you want to train for real? I hate newbies: - No BS Martial Arts

Probably one of the best explanations I've seen for protective gear.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 10:04pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This geekwraith fellow is the first person I've ever seen in this type of thread to jump to his school's defence and not come off as an idiot. I find it rather heartening, really.

On the school, clearly no one can dispute that it's a McDojo, whether or not it is bullshido through-and-through or offers both useful skills and utter **** (note the website's link to "SomaLife the Secrets of Youth").

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Petter says.

It reeks of McDojo, but not necessarily of TOTAL BS.

+rep to geekwraith if it was possible for having an open mind.

Still - brown belt in 1 1/2 years is fairly fast, even at 6 days per week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 11:48pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    geekwraith, a few things if you dont mind me asking:

1. You said professor Gallop allows you to spar full contact. how often is that? how often do you guys spar in general?

2. what is the average time to your rank? how many times a week does an average student attend?

3.I saw he teaches kickboxing. is this full contact or is this point sparring as well?

also, i would like to reiterate how impressed i am that you came to a thread possibly detrimental to your instructor with a level head and coherent statements. good for you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 8:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shaolin goju karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    This geekwraith fellow is the first person I've ever seen in this type of thread to jump to his school's defence and not come off as an idiot. I find it rather heartening, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe
    +rep to geekwraith if it was possible for having an open mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    also, i would like to reiterate how impressed i am that you came to a thread possibly detrimental to your instructor with a level head and coherent statements. good for you.

Stop already, you'll make me blush. :oP

Allow me to correct one (entirely understandable) assumption, though, Petter... I'm female. heh

geekwraith, a few things if you dont mind me asking:

1. You said professor Gallop allows you to spar full contact. how often is that? how often do you guys spar in general?
    Point sparring is twice a week, for 45 minutes on Wednesday and 90 minutes on Saturday. On Wednesday, we pair off and work on a specific combination for ten minutes or so before circling up for the bouts. On Saturday, we pair off and work on techniques of our own choice, sparring continuously for usually around 20 minutes before starting the point sparring.

The full contact class is once a week. Gear is a mouthpiece and cup (just mouthpiece for me, though :oP) and it's Japanese knockdown rules. There's a lot of emphasis on doing serious daily conditioning on your own, for obvious reasons! From what I hear, there used to be quite a crowd a few years ago, but interest waned. Just about May of this year, a few of us newer students got into it, and now some of the "older" (hehe) people are starting to come back. The sensei who teaches the class (with Professor Gallop looking on) is a 3rd dan who has been training here for about ten years. I want my cardio to be on his level someday... he takes us on one after the other after the other after the other, and is barely out of breath. I'm so jealous. lol

2. what is the average time to your rank? how many times a week does an average student attend?
    Well, I haven't really paid attention, but I can do the math. heh

Our kyu belt colors are white, yellow w/stripe, yellow, blue w/stripe, blue, green w/stripe, green, purple w/stripe, purple, red w/stripe, red, brown w/stripe, and brown. That makes brown the 13th belt, and belt testing is every three months. From what I've seen, people usually test for a belt level 1-2 higher than what they currently have, but rarely more than that, so let's say someone tested every three months and started with white then skipped over the striped belt every time but one, which would be doing well... that would put brown belt at 2 years. As a brown belt, you test for a black stripe to be added every three months, brown belt with 3 stripes being the highest ranking below black belt. So typically you're a brown belt for at least a year before being eligible to test for black. Black belt testing is only held once a year, in February, and I'm not sure if all three stripes are usually required before testing or if it varies based on the student. I do know that you can't just decide to test for black; you have to be invited to test for it. I'm told black belt tests last eight hours.

Most people attend class 2-4 times per week. I'm there 6 days a week, 13 classes a week, as well as training outside of class.

3.I saw he teaches kickboxing. is this full contact or is this point sparring as well?
    Unfortunately, I can't give much info here. I've only been to three kickboxing classes, since I do have a family to take care of and I'm already at the dojo so much. I'm able to get away with being there as much as I am because my kids train, too. Bwahahaha!

Anyway, point sparring does not rear its head in the kickboxing classes. Sparring is continuous and with wraps, gloves, kicks, and mouthpieces. I'd call it medium contact for the most part, although I gather it varies according to the skill level of the student. How much of class is sparring and how much is conditioning varies, too.

Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe
    Still - brown belt in 1 1/2 years is fairly fast, even at 6 days per week.
    No argument here. I have had, in the last 4 months, a couple of experiences which would seem to indicate that my rank is indeed on par with my actual skill level, though.

In July (I was a brown belt w/white stripe, not yet full brown), I was in Hollywood, FL. I ended up being there three weeks longer than expected, and with unexpected free time in the evening. I found the South Florida Academy of Martial Arts, run by Shihan Rey Perez, 7th dan in shuri ryu karate and a 6th dan in shintoyoshinkai jiu jitsu. He was very open and friendly and let me train while I was there for no charge, and what fun I had! I hadn't expected to be training anyplace but on my own, so didn't have anything but gi pants and a t-shirt with me (specifically, no belt). One evening, the instructor was John Varnell, 6th dan shuri ryu and 2nd dan shintoyoshinkai, and he demonstrated a sweep. I tried it, he made a correction, I got it. He gave me an odd look and asked, "Do you have a belt in the system you study?" "Yes, brown with white stripe, sir." "Oh, that explains it. Once you learn one system well, you can pick up others a lot more quickly."

On November 1st, I went to my first tournament aside from our own. Let's skip any discussion about the validity/value of point fighting and katas, ok? My sole purpose for sharing this is as a basis for comparison of skill between belt ranks of different systems. First, I should say that I'm a kelegion kai, which I'm not sure exists outside of shaolin goju. I think someone said some other systems do the same sort of thing, calling it a shodan-ho, but I may have heard wrong. I'm ranked at brown belt, but my physical belt is black with a white stripe. I often act as an assistant to the instructor of a class, and occasionally teach kids' classes. Kelegion kais can compete in tournaments in their actual divisions or in black belt division, but if they compete in a black belt division and place, they can't compete in their actual division again in the future. Well, I competed in black belt in the Yoshukai Southern Region Open Karate Tournament in Dothan, AL. I took second in katas against two 1st dans and a 2nd dan, and first in sparring against one 1st and one 2nd dan. Not a lot of competition in the 35-42 women's group, unfortunately. I was probably the only one silently begging, "Please give the bye to someone else!" I wanted as many fights as possible. lol I was thrilled to find that I got to fight a third time, for Grand Champion, against the winner of the younger women's division. I fought a 4th dan who took me apart fairly handily, and I went home with a couple of things in mind to work on. All in all, I feel pretty comfortable saying my belt ranking is well earned, and there's a possibility I may be invited to test for black in February.

I wish they didn't seperate men's and women's divisions. It's usually more fun fighting the men anyway. :oP

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like this lady.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 9:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shaolin goju karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heh <-- That was the totality of my reply. I'm adding this because a popup said if I don't write at least 5 characters, I'll DIE!

I haven't learned how to block popup death strikes yet. :o(

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2008 3:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kase-ha Shotokan-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, as said, it looks like total bullcrap. The way this Gallop claims all of this simply isn't credible.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/11/2008 9:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fullybakedbear
    * 1 custom pair padded shin guards.
    * 1 custom pair padded hands.
    * 1 custom pair shin guards.
    Two pair of shin guards?

...why?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 9:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could've been a mistake/typo.

Professor Gallop has personally promoted more than 250 people to the rank of black belt nation wide.
    Depending on how long he's been an instructor, that alone would make me a little bit nervous.
    Last edited by Dora Milaje; 11/13/2008 9:51pm at .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast