Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey all. I was going to actually check it out since I noticed the thread activity.

Then I noticed this:
    http://www.gallopskarate.com/karate_gear.php

In order to spar, you have to have their "CUSTOM SPARRING GEAR"
    This includes:
    * 1 custom padded helmet.
    * 1 face shield.
    * 1 pair mouth piece.
    * 1 groin protector (males only)
    * 1 custom pair padded shin guards.
    * 1 custom pair padded hands.
    * 1 custom pair shin guards.
    * 1 custom pair padded feet.
    * 1 custom carry bag.

The custom factor comes in because they all have the Gallop's name on them. I'm no MA expert, but I did work for a Fortune 500 company for a decade and I'n my experience, imprinted ANYTHING means LOW QUALITY - HIGH PRICE.

So, how much do you think that this costs?

When I was taking Uechi Ryu in Lake Worth...nearly 20 years ago, they started enforcing cups and mouthpieces.

Then i noticed the Sanchin video. Now I understand that there might be some variations across the board, but the CHILD performing the kata might not be the best choice when you are trying to demonstrate the mother of all katas. It might also be the angle of the video but his hand position seems to be as if he was going to be fighting an adult. Do people actually do Sanchin like that. Sensei Portrekus used to smash the hell out of me to make sure i was in position, including a fairly solid nut shot (for my being a white belt).

I'm so dissapointed that I'm going to have to drive 2 hours to get any good Okinawan training.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fullybakedbear
    Hey all. I was going to actually check it out since I noticed the thread activity.

Then I noticed this:
    http://www.gallopskarate.com/karate_gear.php

In order to spar, you have to have their "CUSTOM SPARRING GEAR"
    This includes:
    * 1 custom padded helmet.
    * 1 face shield.
    * 1 pair mouth piece.
    * 1 groin protector (males only)
    * 1 custom pair padded shin guards.
    * 1 custom pair padded hands.
    * 1 custom pair shin guards.
    * 1 custom pair padded feet.
    * 1 custom carry bag.

The custom factor comes in because they all have the Gallop's name on them. I'm no MA expert, but I did work for a Fortune 500 company for a decade and I'n my experience, imprinted ANYTHING means LOW QUALITY - HIGH PRICE.

So, how much do you think that this costs?
    Yes, all that marks the sign of a McDojo not bullshido.

When I was taking Uechi Ryu in Lake Worth...nearly 20 years ago, they started enforcing cups and mouthpieces.

Then i noticed the Sanchin video. Now I understand that there might be some variations across the board, but the CHILD performing the kata might not be the best choice when you are trying to demonstrate the mother of all katas. It might also be the angle of the video but his hand position seems to be as if he was going to be fighting an adult. Do people actually do Sanchin like that. Sensei Portrekus used to smash the hell out of me to make sure i was in position, including a fairly solid nut shot (for my being a white belt).

I'm so dissapointed that I'm going to have to drive 2 hours to get any good Okinawan training.
    Well, if you are really interested, you need to pay the school a visit. Then you can report back.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    "I see you've had some training, Mayonaise."

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 4:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Yes, all that marks the sign of a McDojo not bullshido.

Well, if you are really interested, you need to pay the school a visit. Then you can report back.
    In my book. its the same thing. My last dojo had no pads, no AC and a makiwara stick stuck in a concrete block in the back. We were instructed to get used Bowling ball pins to pound on our legs while we watched tv. I guess it was fairly hardcore.

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 4:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your book is screwed up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 7:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shaolin goju karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I guess it is more fair to explain it completely right up front rather than berate them till they catch on . I just always assume people read the rules and forum stickies before jumping in .
    I didn't feel like you were berating. I did, however, roll my eyes at myself for having jumped in without adequately grounding myself in this milieu. The sum total of my thought process was: "Hey look, a thread about my school! ... Yikes, that really does look awful. I'd better provide more info..."

I'm reading the links about the review rules etc., and I'll write one soon and expand on my response here, but probably not till after I kick this stupid head cold. Bleah.

Meanwhile, the shortish version of the answer to perhaps your most pressing question: I'm a student. I've been training at Gallop's for around a year and a half. I'm a brown belt, but most don't advance nearly so quickly. (I've always been adept at movement-oriented disciplines, plus I train six days a week.) Why should you value my opinion? I'm not sure that you should. You should certainly take it with a grain of salt, at the very least, as I a) have a natural bias in favor of my school, and b) have not been training very long.

On the other hand, I'm open-minded enough to recognize its limitations, too, and I believe I'm realistic in my assessments. Should someone train here for going pro in full contact? No way. For that, you need a place where that's the main focus. And it is very commercialized, which is a drawback for many. The website frankly bites. I have to agree about the dubious choice of a child demonstrating katas, even if the purpose of the videos is just for the kids to use as visual notes when practicing at home. And Sanchin is shown broken down in the most basic movements with very little technique, the way it's shown to brand-new no-belts on their first day. It barely resembles the kata as the more advanced belts practice it. Not a great impression to give people looking to see what the school has to offer, nope.

All I'm saying is that there's good stuff here, too, including for those students who want hard contact. More later.

G'night!

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 11:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my book. its the same thing.
    It is not the same thing. If you want to start your own website, you can call it what you want. Many legit schools have McDojo tendencies.

My last dojo had no pads, no AC and a makiwara stick stuck in a concrete block in the back. We were instructed to get used Bowling ball pins to pound on our legs while we watched tv. I guess it was fairly hardcore.
    ?????

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 11:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my book. its the same thing. My last dojo had no pads, no AC and a makiwara stick stuck in a concrete block in the back. We were instructed to get used Bowling ball pins to pound on our legs while we watched tv. I guess it was fairly hardcore.
    Your book is retarded and it sounds like your training is too.

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 7:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you "Is It Fake". I appreciate and understand your point. My comment about the old dojo should also have mentioned that it was a non-profit dojo. It was absolutely no frills. It wasn't for sport, it wasn't for fun, it was to learn karate as closely to the way it was taught in Okinawa.

I guess the philosophy is that "if it wasn't needed when the styles were created and practiced, it isn't necessary to the practice. The pins served more than adequately to help the toughening process.

The funny thing is that when I told mom (last trained in American Goju 30 years ago on long Island) about the soft kata in the video, she was astounded.

I'm still going to have to consider checking it out because there is mountains to learn. Maybe I can offer to help update the website as a form of observation.

For refernce : the book in question is Uechiryu Karate Do by George Mattson. That's what I expect Sanchin to look like...and that's what my last sensei's young daughter looked like when she did it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 8:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    quick question... what is it with all the pads... head gear, shin gear... this and that gear...

im use to mouth peice(optional in kumite) and knuckle guards...

and truthfully wearing all the other gear sucks, no natural feel. And because of all the gear people tend to lax on their training of control.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast