Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What should I be learning as a beginner Wing Chun practitioner?

Hi guys

Firstly, if there is another thread here somewhere that contains all the answers, please link me up; I've searched (and I might be searching wrong) and I'm battling to find information.

I'm new to martial arts and to WC (4 months to be precise).

I've Googled, Bing'd, talked to other people but so far I'm still unsure as to what I should be learning at this stage, if I'm, in fact, doing the real deal.

I understand that there are bastardizations and different family systems, but at the core of the art: what should be there?

I'm really into learning a proper style, and mastering it. Not for fighting on the streets (of course knowing how to fight is never a bad thing) or to compete in competitions - it's a personal thing.
    And it's because of it being that, that I need to make sure that I'm not wasting my time, before I invest more money and more time into my current training.

If I can give an example, I've read a lot about the wooden dummy technique.
    I haven't seen a dummy in my school (I can understand that it might not be taught at my level).

Any information at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    RF

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are learning it just to "know" a martial art and don't care whether it makes you a better fighter or not then it doesn't really matter if it's the real deal or not. What matters is whether you enjoy doing it and like the other people who are in the classes and get along well with your instructor.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Style
    Student Jutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What should I be learning as a beginner Wing Chun practitioner?
    Matt Thornton's Principles of Aliveness. Try Youtube.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    If you are learning it just to "know" a martial art and don't care whether it makes you a better fighter or not then it doesn't really matter if it's the real deal or not. What matters is whether you enjoy doing it and like the other people who are in the classes and get along well with your instructor.
    I think I might have expressed that wrong.

What I meant was whether or not what I'm learning would be applicable in a real-life situation.

So, I guess, if you put it that way, I do care if it makes me a better fighter.

And it's not just about knowing a martial art; I started doing it to improve my overall fitness, mental and spiritual levels. So it does go a lot deeper than that.

Which is why I decided to join Bullshido and get some expert opinions from guys who have been doing this for a lot longer than me.

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I think I might have expressed that wrong.

What I meant was whether or not what I'm learning would be applicable in a real-life situation.
    Then as previously mentioned, look up Matt Thornton’s videos on “aliveness”. Hint: Your training must include sparring against opponents who are really trying to get you, not just situational drills, not just drills with pre-defined attackers and defenders, not just drills with specific techniques prescribed or proscribed, but sparring with someone who’s trying to get you just as much as you are trying to get him.

And it's not just about knowing a martial art; I started doing it to improve my overall fitness, mental and spiritual levels. So it does go a lot deeper than that.
    To improve fitness, do any intense physical activity. To improve your “mental levels”, go to a good university. To improve your “spiritual levels”…does that even mean anything outside of role playing games?
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Then as previously mentioned, look up Matt Thornton’s videos on “aliveness”. Hint: Your training must include sparring against opponents who are really trying to get you, not just situational drills, not just drills with pre-defined attackers and defenders, not just drills with specific techniques prescribed or proscribed, but sparring with someone who’s trying to get you just as much as you are trying to get him.
    Thanks, I just watched that now.
    And I should be doing this from the get-go, yes?
    Yeah, I think I might be wasting my time then.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld supporting member
    Style
    Taai Si Ji Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've Googled, Bing'd, talked to other people but so far I'm still unsure as to what I should be learning at this stage, if I'm, in fact, doing the real deal.
    Tell me who your Sifu is, his/her lineage, how long you've been studying, how many classes a week and how long, your bank account #, PIN, and SSN, why you chose __ng __un, what you hope to get out of MA in general, and I should be able to answer your questions.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously the level has to vary—the beginner who first sets fot in a boxing gym can’t spar like the pros. But, while I can’t speak much for where the level should be in striking arts, I can tell you that in the BJJ gym I train at, beginners first spar in some way, against resistance, in their first or second class—and every class after that.

I can also tell you from painful personal experience that no matter how good you get at applying a technique on someone who lets you apply it, or someone who comes at you with a particular attack, that does not mean that you’ll be able to apply it to someone who’s actively trying to get you—and actively trying not to let you use your techniques.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are your other options for training in your area? If there is a Muay Thai, western boxing, Kyokushin, BJJ, Judo or wrestling gym nearby, try one of those out.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you sparring? or just doing chi sao? have the sifu's got any experience other than wing chun, probably the only real way to tell, would be go to another gym/school, muay thai/kickboxing/kyokushin etc, and compare the training!

edit: what above post say!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last