Style
    Goju/akki kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Rob, I'm a former student of grandmaster Thaddeus Parker and one of those students who studied in front of the jake gaither gym as a freshman attending Florida A&M university. I'm looking for someone who is teaching Shinjumasu goju in the Orlando area. I hope all is well. God Bless

Style
    Goju
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are talking in the 70s when Ted was there in the late 80s I was doing the class at A & M for the ROTC department across the street from the gym though we ended up in the gym a lot anyway.
    I'll check and see who is in that area and get back to you. Remind me in a couple of days if I forget.

Style
    Goju-Ryu/Bjj (White Belt)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
    Well that's possibly the case but its not in context of what was being discussed - koryu iemoto used within the Bushi classes of mainland Japan.

Karate was 'primarily', prior too its introduction to mainland Japan a peasents martial system therefore you would not have seen a Kyoshi within a school of empty hand.
    Actually Kiyoda Juhatsu Sensei of Toon-Ryu is credited with "..Helping to popularize mainland budo customs. Including the use of teaching titles Shihan, Renshi, Kyoshi, and Hanshi..." I got this from the book "History and Traditions of Okinawan Karate" By Tetsuhiro Hokama. I believe that this was probably done to make the Okinawa arts more acceptable to the Japanese mainlanders (just my opinion, so meaningless!). Also many styles of Karate are considered koryu (including Goju-Ryu)

Style
    In transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Technically, he's not doing any Goju-ryu kata at all.

Both geki-sai kata were developed much later on (around the 1920s) for introduction into schools. As far as dan ranks are concerned, 6th through 10th dan are awarded for contributions to Goju-ryu karate, not necessarily to a "Shihan".

And yeah, Goju-ryu was accepted as a koryu and budo.

Style
    Goju/akki kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Believe it or not Rob, I'm talking 1991. Master Parker was still teaching in front of the gym in the lawn out front. Also Master Randall Snow had a class he was teaching at his apartment complex as well. Master Ben Love would show up to each class and teach and spar with the higher ranks. Master Parker stopped teaching in the fall of 1992. Please let me know what you can find out. THX

Style
    Judo & BJJ hacker
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CutlerX2 View Post
    Hello Rob, I'm a former student of grandmaster Thaddeus Parker and one of those students who studied in front of the jake gaither gym as a freshman attending Florida A&M university. I'm looking for someone who is teaching Shinjumasu goju in the Orlando area. I hope all is well. God Bless
    You could try to contact David Somers at:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/okinawagojuryu/

I think that he may be closer to Tampa, though. Note that I've never trained with him, merely traded a few e-mails a few years back. so I can't vouch for his art, only that he maight be worth a look.

Style
    Goju/akki kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks 2groggy. I'll do my research but for now I'm going to keep searching for teachers who trained under GM Charles Dixon.

Hey Rob don't forget about me!!!! LOL