Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 1:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    I will have to say that basic hand fighting for grips be it in the gi or nogi is not recognized as a valuable skill set by most grappling practitioners. While I am not advocating that silly forearm on forearm circle **** I will say that more people need to understand grip fighting better if they wish to develop better grappling techniques.

Pushing on the head and shoulders can deter a take down and couple that with lateral motion and good footwork is an effective means of stopping a take down. Given the context of self defense or protecting yourself in a real environment he has some decent points.

The pushing on the stiff arm is not the best advice since I deal in action reaction not meeting force with force.
    Points well taken, especially with regards to grip fighting. However, once you start working on grip fighting or stopping a take down with something other than a devastating strike, then you are no longer striking, you are grappling. Calling it "anti-grapple" is the stupidist **** I've read. It's stand up grappling with the intent of not being taken down. Yes, Chinaboxer makes some good points and yes, there is the potential there for his grappling to be better, but it is still grappling, not anti-grappling.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

:)

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 3:22am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No such thing as antigrapple, just like there's no anti-Lego Lego pieces, or anti-bathroom bathrooms, you are doing what you're doing. Acoustic guitar isn't anti-guiatr if my intention is to avoid playing electric guitar...and I should probably get some sleep

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 3:15pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha, grounded.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 3:22pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbydeth View Post
    Ha, grounded.
    He wouldn't have been grounded if he had sprawled.

http://www.instantrimshot.com/
    Last edited by Uncle Skippy; 5/03/2010 3:39pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 3:32pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever, Instead of sticking your leg out - take some wrestling classes with your WC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 4:03pm

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post
    Whatever, Instead of sticking your leg out - take some wrestling classes with your WC.
    Chunners don't need to cross-train, remember? Their r34l deadly has been proven time and time again in venues where two people are actually trying to KO or submit each other at full force... Err wait.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 4:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post
    "Some" is what led to this video.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 4:13pm

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    "Some" is what led to this video.
    Good point, IIF. In this instance it appears that none is actually better than some.

:)

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's not as though it's the be-all-and-end-all of takedowns. Not having it will be a weakness, but it being all there is, means not will you get taken down, but when. What if tackled from behind? Then you're already on the ground before you know you're in some sh"&.

To learn how to best avoid armbars, study armbars. Same for any skill in fighting. The only other option is the James Thompson "watch a lot of dvd's" method. (kidding, there is no substitute). To avoid takedowns... Well you get it. There is no one solve-all and that's just tough.Now I'll shut it up and let the chunnery continue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:20am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    1. I had always thought that "anti-grapple" was a term made up on Bullshido to mock TMA arts that don't address grappling in their curriculum based on the faulty assumption that will power alone will keep one standing when the other guy wants to take the fight to the ground.

2. I too have used the groin bite like Lebell. I'm not sure what I actually bit, but it did get a much larger guy off of my chest and avoided a savage beating.
    Let me see. Get my head beat in, and end up retarded, OR bite a dick and run like a Kenyan. I'll go with biting the dick and worry about the psychological ramifications later, with my fully functioning brain pan. I don't suspect I will suffer much in the second scenario.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast