Style
    BJJ/MT/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Places to visit ( and train ) in Tokyo ?

Hey guys. I wasn't sure where to put this thread, and after much confusion and naked screaming I decided that Newbietown would have to suffice.

I am asking this for a friend because he does not have internet access.

My good friend and training partner is going to Shinjuku, Tokyo for a few weeks for a wedding. He wanted to know where are some good MA schools ( MMA, Shooto, Judo, BJJ, etc. ) that he could pay a visit to, and get to roll with some people. He has trained MMA and BJJ for 1 and a half years and is a BJJ blue belt.

Places reasonably close to Shinjuku or at least easy to get to from there would be most appreciated.

I saw there is Paraestra Tokyo, which is Yuki Nakai's school right ? I assume they are amazing. Does anyone know how far they are from Shinjuku and if it's ok for my friend to drop by for a visit ?

Also the Kodokan Judo Institute. Are they reasonably close and a good place to visit ?

I also saw there is Tri-Force Kojimachi Jiu Jitsu school.

Anyways, all help is welcomed.

And if you know somewhere non-ma related that he can take his girlfriend to so she will forgive him for the training time, that would be nice too. I read that Shinjuku Gyoen Imperial Gardens is nice ?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as Judo goes, it depends on his level.

While everyone thinks of the Kodokan, the hard core are at the Police Academy or one of the Universities.

The Kodokan is much kinder on those with lesser skills.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Style
    BJJ/MT/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mtripp,

Thanks for the quick reply !

Well his Judo is almost non-existent like mine. We know a couple of the throws that Judo guys who train MMA with us have shown us. Our main experience is with BJJ. What we have learnt from Judo we really really like.

He is a very friendly and humble person so hopefully they will go easy on him.

He's not expecting to take some magical Judo pill and suddenly come back from Japan throwing people all over the place. He just wants to have some fun rolling/sparring with the people over there and get a few tips in the process. We LOVE grappling and fighting here in SA, but our grappling community is still small compared to places like Japan. He is a huge Yuki Nakai fan ( who isn't ? ) so he would definitely enjoy visiting that school, but when in Japan, one should do some Judo, I rate.

I was at the Kodokan website and it seems like a nice place indeed.

Is it a bad idea to visit the Uni clubs or the Police Academy if you aren't good at Judo ? We do come from very tough training at our school so he isn't going to go cry in the corner or anything. He is a nice guy but has a big heart. At the same time I don't think he wants to come back to SA in a body cast. lol.

Style
    BJJ n stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For MMA I used to train at Kiyoshui Tamura's U-File Camp - the cool thing is he teaches the classes personally, as far as fighting credentials go this guy is the real deal.

Here's the link to the Japanese site - you might want to get someone Japanese to check the address of the closest one, it was 10 years ago no and my memory is rusty when it comes to name of the train station.
    http://www.u-filecamp.com/
    And his wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiyoshi_Tamura

Not sure if there are any requirements for training or introductions needed but Kazushi Sakuraba's gym Laughter7 is another worth looking into:
    http://www.laughter7.com/
    Wiki not necessary, he's Japan's most famous and celebrated MMA fighter.

I can only speak for Tamura's gym, the training was pretty extreme when I was there - la couple of Pride fighters trained there all day long and would jump in and out of training sessions with people of different skill levels so the level of attention and instruction was a full 10. This was the only training I've ever done that made me turn green every single time:)

If he can get a shot at training in Sakuraba's gym that would be worth it for the experience and "I told ya so" alone!

The train system in Tokyo is so good that I wouldnt get hung up on training close to Shinjuku, that's a very central station with a whole bunch of lines coming from it so he can get to most places easily. If the gym is good enough then it's worth the extra travel time though.

Hope that helps!

PS I just read his Wiki and Tamura defeated Sakuraba in their last match up;)
    Last edited by Prince Vlad; 5/05/2010 8:23am at .

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With a small amount of Judo skill, go to the Kodokan. They will take care of you and assist you.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Style
    BJJ/MT/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. That's already a big help.