Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/29/2010 10:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But there is no point training in what you cannot control or giving up because there are aspects of self defence you cannot control.
    It is more about making the best with what you have which is why most knife defence work on the theory that you have seen the knife and have a chance of stopping it.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2010 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a re-post, but I think that some of you will be amused. And it's a real knife story.

Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    The scene: A small dojo in Northern Utah.

This dope walks into the Kajukenbo school and starts talking to Kevin (Sifu [instructor and not exactly the imposing man-mountain of martial arts: sixty years old, pot bellied, short, and last year had several inches of intestines removed and this fall had shoulder surgery]), standing in the hallway, about self-defense and knives and such.

The dope asks Sifu what would Sifu do if he had a knife like this, wiggling his hand, pretending he has a knife shoved into Sifu's ribs. Sifu says, I'd bleed. Dope says for real man, what would you do? And Sifu says for real, I'd bleed if you had a knife in your hand and were poking me with it. Dope says no man, like what would you do for real if I had a knife and I was really attacking you? What would you do? And then dope says, like this, and reaches for the his knife that's on his belt over his butt.

As the dope reaches for his knife, Sifu closes the distance and front kicks dope. Dope moves rapidly backward and hits the wall. And complains loudly. Sifu says, you asked me what I'd do and you reached for your knife. You got your answer and now get out of here.

I asked Sifu where did he connect and Sifu said about one inch from his testicles, to the left where the pelvic bone meets the leg. In the short time (several weeks) I've been a member I've only seen Sifu do a few techniques with his good arm when teaching and had no idea that he could move that well. I quess that he was motivated!

The Mexican teens (who think that they are tough) really think that this is the funniest thing that they've ever seen. And they are pretty correct about that.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    4/29/2010 11:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Regardless, the person is probably inside stabbing distance before you get to see the knife. You don't get to face off and duel cleanly, fisticuffs vs. knife, was my point.
    I've seen two knife fights in person. The knife was never visible in either case.

In fact, i should say that I saw two stabbings. In both cases, two people closed the distance, one gets stabbed somehow, and the other runs off.

That fast. No "fighting", no "brandishing", just a stab and it's over.

One was a couple of Mexican guys. Guy "A" rushes guy "B". Guy "B" braces himself for impact. Guy "A" body checks guy "B", and promptly falls to the deck while guy "A" runs away about as fast as I've ever seen a person move outside of professional sports.

The other fight was two homeless crack head ladies wrestling in the street for god only knows what reason. One screams loudly, "Ow! You Stabbed me!". They separate, and one takes off running. The other limps away bleeding.

Neither time was a knife displayed. In both instances, the "victims" had no idea a knife was in play until they were stabbed.
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 4/29/2010 11:53am at .

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/29/2010 12:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    I've seen two knife fights in person. The knife was never visible in either case.

In fact, i should say that I saw two stabbings. In both cases, two people closed the distance, one gets stabbed somehow, and the other runs off.

That fast. No "fighting", no "brandishing", just a stab and it's over.

One was a couple of Mexican guys. Guy "A" rushes guy "B". Guy "B" braces himself for impact. Guy "A" body checks guy "B", and promptly falls to the deck while guy "A" runs away about as fast as I've ever seen a person move outside of professional sports.

The other fight was two homeless crack head ladies wrestling in the street for god only knows what reason. One screams loudly, "Ow! You Stabbed me!". They separate, and one takes off running. The other limps away bleeding.

Neither time was a knife displayed. In both instances, the "victims" had no idea a knife was in play until they were stabbed.
    Not to steel-toe kick a rotting horse corpse, but I think that why a popular knife attack defense program is titled "Die LESS Often"... if you can drill to the point where you can survive close to 50% of the time, you've really accomplished something!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/29/2010 2:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    You know, you are as bad as Moose. Which one?

The "challenge" match in the dojo?

The guys who showed up on Halloween?

When I stopped to aid two "Women" who's car was broken down?

Those are all good stories! Lol, silat.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 12:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found there are a very low percentage you can block or even grab a knife without being cuts. I watch some video that said few stab can't kill you as long it is not hit you vital, I got bleed from a knife attack on my arms and light cut on stomach and less than 5 minutes I fell real dizzy.

If you got opportunities react first, if you let the opportunities away , than you are in real trouble.

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 12:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tataksarella View Post
    I found there are a very low percentage you can block or even grab a knife without being cuts. I watch some video that said few stab can't kill you as long it is not hit you vital, I got bleed from a knife attack on my arms and light cut on stomach and less than 5 minutes I fell real dizzy.

If you got opportunities react first, if you let the opportunities away , than you are in real trouble.
    A major threat if your are fighting and bleeding is that your increased heart rate and BP will cause you to pump out a lot more blood than if you were at rest. Kind of hard to give yourself first aid while being attacked as well.

Seriously bad mojo.

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 2:05pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In TKD we did knife defence practices a couple of times a year, with rubber knives and markers. Some of the defenses were almost realistic, but anything involving the kicking the knife or the hand with the knife made me laugh in hystarics. A marker dot, given in combination with a spinning axe kick, is an interesting thing to be distracted by, or worry about because you know it is a marker.

As a JJJ shodan, we practice knife defence often - and with the higher belts, we use an assorted variety of real knives. Some of us have the scars to show for it.

But the issue is always motive: a mugger going for wallet is different than a girlfriends Ex, which is different than a gang initiation at the bus stop or subway. It is difficult to imposible to recreate this environment in a dojo, because the defense and attack needed varies so greatly that the hope is that after training, at least you can attempt something, instead of standing back watching yourself get murdered or slashed.

Moving to real knives gives some motivation, and provides focus, but the attacker needs to be motivated too. If the attacker is overly motivated to make it real, and does slashing instead of stabbing, you have very little to go on.

Even those electric knives that people use, have a hard time motivating either attacker or defender, especially at a 4 hour seminar that you paid good money for, are you going to committ to an attack in the first hour that could leave the other person hurt, or yourself hurt...not likely.

Posted On:
    5/01/2010 2:40pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The long and short of it , even a person armed with a gun IE a Law Enforcement officer with his gun holstered will be stabbed by an attacker who runs at him from a distance of 20 feet or less .

Bottom Line Defense against a knife wielder especially if that person is skilled is precarious at best. My suggestion Run if you can or pick up something to strike
    And Id think Id use low level shin kicks to keep distance between yourself. But again a skilled knife fighter will slice and dice you
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2010 3:08pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxguitar View Post
    The long and short of it , even a person armed with a gun IE a Law Enforcement officer with his gun holstered will be stabbed by an attacker who runs at him from a distance of 20 feet or less .

Bottom Line Defense against a knife wielder especially if that person is skilled is precarious at best. My suggestion Run if you can or pick up something to strike
    And Id think Id use low level shin kicks to keep distance between yourself. But again a skilled knife fighter will slice and dice you
    Okay, you guys have cops and a military guy telling you to stop larping, why is this still being debated?

Also, there is no "let's train for this scenario" argument. You train for the worst scenario and go form there if you are going to train.

This has turned into a _ing _un lowest fighter debate with knives.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast