Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 11:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    2. How do we know that? I never knew that. And are you suggesting that catching an arm is easier than Karate blocking it?
    Here's what you do.

Give your friend a trainer knife.

Have him stab you WITH INTENT. That means he is really going to poke you with it, retract, and poke you gain, and you are going to try and block it.

Then be honest with yourself. Did the blade touch you?

The first hundred times you do this, you will have a VERY LOW success rate of blocking without getting "cut" so to speak. It is exceedingly difficult to go empty handed against a knife, I don't care what anybody says. The reality is, you will be cut. You will bleed. But will you survive?

A decent parry is rare, and about as good as it gets. A parry and a counter is your lucky day. A winning blow, and no fatal injuries to yourself means the gods smile upon you.

Those are the facts. Learn them. Live them. Train for them. Denial is your enemy.

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 11:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Here's what you do.

Have him stab you WITH INTENT. That means he is really going to poke you with it, retract, and poke you gain, and you are going to try and block it.

The first hundred times you do this, you will have a VERY LOW success rate of blocking without getting "cut" so to speak. It is exceedingly difficult to go empty handed against a knife, I don't care what anybody says. The reality is, you will be cut. You will bleed. But will you survive?

A decent parry is rare, and about as good as it gets. A parry and a counter is your lucky day. A winning blow, and no fatal injuries to yourself means the gods smile upon you.

Those are the facts. Learn them. Live them. Train for them. Denial is your enemy.
    So are you for catching or blocking sor some other tactic?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 12:15pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's what you do.

what the hell! Good god I hope your trolling =D

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 12:24pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So are you for catching or blocking sor some other tactic?
    Try whatever you've been taught. You'll find out pretty quick how well it works. As long as your honest with yourself regarding weather or not you grabbed the blade or were struck by it. It's a bit ego crushing when your favorite dissamrs fail you, so be honest with yourself, and don't let your attachments get in the way of reality.

If what you're doing doesn't work, try something else. Be analytical. Figure out how to defeat the attack in the brief instant you have.

That right there is better training than "kick the knife ect." kind of bullshit.

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 12:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybugly View Post
    what the hell! Good god I hope your trolling =D
    So so.

but how else are you supposed to find out if your methods work, other than live training?

What do you suggest?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally blocking vs grabbing. If you can grab, good. If you can grab and hit, better. But I have found though all my rubber knife play that I just cannot catch the arm all the time and somtimes need to put something in the way of the to give myself a bit of breathing room and so include the karate stylestrike block as part of my knife defence package.
    When I used to teach kung fu, I did an experiment with I'd say around 20 different people, and it goes like this: you get a training knife and try to stab the person repeatedly (and cut them). First, you have them try to block your attacks, and count the number you land in a span of time. Then, you have them try to control your arm instead of trying to block. Sometimes I switched the order because I figure the second time around they're more comfortable with what the attack will be like. At any rate, everybody I've tried this with does a far better job with the arm control than with the blocks. I sometimes use forearm to forearm blocks if I can't grab the arm and it's retracted too quick, but it's not my preferred move (and with a double edged knife, you can cut a blocking forearm on the way back).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 3:16pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's what you do.

Get a large size Magic Marker instead. Might not feel as impressive to hold but the results are hard to lie about, even to yourself.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 8:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's what you do.

I did this when I spent three months of my youth behind bars and a fellow inmate biker guy used to practice attacking me with a plastic comb as a knife and I'd try to use my karate. Usually he'd "kill" me, but sometimes I'd live. One technique that worked for me, until he got used to it was kicking. Sometimes I was able to kick his knife hand, other times a flurry of kicks would put him on the defensive. He, as a fighter, knew knife and boxing and rough and tumble stuff, but he'd never faced trained footwork and I, even before learning MT roundhouses and such, knew some decent techniques (untrained fighters in my experience never know about low leg/ankle kicks and how they can dump the opponent - what we call leg sweeps in karate).
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/29/2010 2:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    I agree with this statement 100%.

Most of the time if you're going to get knifed, you've already been knifed. Only a mugger who's a complete idiot would brandish a knife towards you and demand money.
    Uhhh... actually, thats exactly what a mugger would do. The guy in your scenario is a murderer (or an attempted murderer).
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    4/29/2010 7:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regardless, the person is probably inside stabbing distance before you get to see the knife. You don't get to face off and duel cleanly, fisticuffs vs. knife, was my point.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast