Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 2:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ noob, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Schools in Las vegas

I've recently moved to Las Vegas and I'm looking to join a BJJ school, preferrably one that offers some rudimentary striking instruction as well (Boxing or MT). I know there are some solid schools in the area, and I've found a couple of older threads regarding schools, but it seems like a lot of them have closed in the past couple of years. I'd be very grateful for any recommendations.

Thanks!

-pep

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 2:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome.

As Las Vegas is the home and training ground of many, many professional fighters, there are going to be bounds and bounds of options available to you.

Firstly, as you stated "I know there are some solid schools in the area"......which ones have you visited for a free introductory class.

Second, where in LV do you live and work/school and is travel a consideration. Since it is quite spread out, a referral in Summerlin wouldn't work well if you live in Green Valley UNLESS travel is not a concern for you and you don't mind driving for an hour just for training.

Third, being the training ground of so many pros, cost might sometimes be a factor. What are you budgeting comfortably for training each month and is this strictly for lesson fees OR are you building in ancillaries such as privates, equipment, travel, food, medical and stuff that can sometimes pop-up during training?

Again, welcome and I have PMed a respected forum member who has trained in Las Vegas with the hopes he might assist you.

Also, Omega likely has some ties to the area and, if you are blessed by his appearance, he might take pity upon you and leave behind some wisdom and abuse.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 2:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Welcome.
    As Las Vegas is the home and training ground of many, many professional fighters, there are going to be bounds and bounds of options available to you.

Firstly, as you stated "I know there are some solid schools in the area"......which ones have you visited for a free introductory class.
    The only school I've attempted to contact so far is Cobra Kai. I plan on stopping by most of the schools in town and checking them out before making a commitment to one. I have't yet gotten an introductory class with any.

Welcome.
    Second, where in LV do you live and work/school and is travel a consideration. Since it is quite spread out, a referral in Summerlin wouldn't work well if you live in Green Valley UNLESS travel is not a concern for you and you don't mind driving for an hour just for training.
    I live in northwest Las Vegas (Centennial Hills area) and work in northeast (Nellis Air Force Base). I don't mind a commute as my training will probably be in conjunction with going to or from work, so either side of town works. A longer commute for a really great school isn't a problem either.

Welcome.
    Third, being the training ground of so many pros, cost might sometimes be a factor. What are you budgeting comfortably for training each month and is this strictly for lesson fees OR are you building in ancillaries such as privates, equipment, travel, food, medical and stuff that can sometimes pop-up during training?
    I can probably swing in the neighborhood of $100-130ish a month just for lesson fees. I wasn't initially planning on any private instruction. I'm getting a promotion soon, so I can probably afford around $200 a month starting in July. Any occaisional ancillary costs shouldn't be an issue, and would be budgeted outside my lesson budget. I've noticed that Xtreme Couture has a military discount, and while I don't plan to attend there I hope that's a trend around town.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 11:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another place I'd suggest trying would be Robert Drysdale's school:

http://www.robertdrysdale.net/

I've been to one of his seminars and know people who have trained there. I've heard it is a great school.

From the FAR northwest, it is down 95 to Rainbow or 215 to Summerlin Pkwy then off on Rainbow.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/29/2010 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a guy at Drysdales (probably the same on as US) and he really likes the place. Lots of high level guys. Cobra Kai is also supposed to be fantastic. One of our black belts likes to go there when in LV.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 3:00am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Snake for hitting me up ref this thread. OP, Vegas is full of great schools, two have already been mentioned here, Kobra Kai and Drysdales. I've visited both schools but ended up trainig with Mark Beecher. BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai. Give them a visit, Mark let's you train for free for a week to try it out. Let him know Anthony fm Bullshido referred you.

IMFC
    International MMA Fight Club
    5818 W. Spring Mountain
    Suite 201
    Las Vegas, NV 89146

Their website seems to be down at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 6:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha View Post
    Thanks Snake for hitting me up ref this thread. OP, Vegas is full of great schools, two have already been mentioned here, Kobra Kai and Drysdales. I've visited both schools but ended up trainig with Mark Beecher. BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai. Give them a visit, Mark let's you train for free for a week to try it out. Let him know Anthony fm Bullshido referred you.

IMFC
    International MMA Fight Club
    5818 W. Spring Mountain
    Suite 201
    Las Vegas, NV 89146

Their website seems to be down at this time.
    I just called this school and it seems like they've changed ownership recently. Mark Beecher isn't teaching there anymore- one of his students, Bryan Humes, is.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2010 9:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It turns out that Mark Beecher is teaching at Drysdale's school now. I stopped by today and it seemed really awesome. I'll be starting my free classes on Monday just to make sure I like it, but I think I'm pretty set on this place.