Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training With Rick Lucero at Safari Athletic Club

I am looking to take up BJJ, and it looks like Lucero is the closest guy to me. I know that he teaches at the "Safari Athletic Club" (I assume he doesn't have his own school) and this blurb:

"Lucero received his black belt from Joe Moreira in January 1998. His instruction mixes BJJ with wrestling and sambo. He also fights in NHB tournaments."

What do you guys think? Have you heard of him? His instructor apparently fought in UFC twice. Do you think it would be better to try to find straight BJJ training or go for the wrestling and sambo that he teaches as well? If he fights NHB I guess this is a more MMA curriculum. No mention of stand up arts though... curious. Was not what I had in mind, but I guess it could be interesting.

I live in Claremont CA, 91711 btw. If anyone knows of any good BJJ places around here, it would be great to hear about them. Thanks a lot, adios.

Style
    Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know for sure that Rick Lucero fought at WVC 4. His opponent was a TKD-based fighter called Chuck Kim. It was a long fight, but in the end Lucero won with a guillotine.

That's the only fight I've seen him in. From what I remember (I haven't seen the video for a while) he's an extremely tough, very strong ex-bodybuilder with some solid skills, both on the feet and on the ground. He didn't appear to have the natural fluidity on the ground that some BJJ fighters have, but he certainly seemed no slouch.

Joe Moreira is a very respected BJJ man, who never really made the transition to professional MMA competition. He fought twice in UFC, losing to Paul Varelans at UFC 8 and beating Yuri Vaulin at UFC 14. Both fights went to decision. He also famously kicked Zane Frasier's ass in a dojo challenge (video available at Sherdog, I believe). Finally, Moreira has fought the infamous Joe Son at Xtreme Pankration 2 in LA, beating him by submission.

Conclusion: Lucero has got the fighting pedigree. Whether he's a good teacher or not - I have no idea.

Style
    Judo and BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think BJJ with wrestling and sambo is useful.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! Yeah, I've met Lucero before some of my guys have rolled with him. Nice enough guy and pretty decent on the ground, although I bet he's a lot better than when we met up in 97 or 98 I can't remember.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your help guys. I went to Sherdog and watched the little clip of his fight against Chuck Kim. Couldn't really see much... He looks like a big guy though. I am curious for your opinions on what wrestling and sambo lend that BJJ does not offer. Anything specific?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're making me giggle here Clint.

SAMBO and Wrestling add an element of domination to BJJ. BJJ yields a bit too much for my taste. SAMBO and Wrestling instill an idea of never giving up a dominant position and never fall into a position of less advantage than standing (ie guard). Throws are stronger in the two over BJJ in most cases. Leg locks are practiced more in SAMBO as is some neck manipulation. I think all three compiment each other strongly.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a glad a newb fool like myself can make you giggle. Thanks for your advice though Omega, it is really helpfull.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey whenever you have the time come up and we'll roll I've got a key to the gym.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roll with Omega? Maybe in a few years when I actually have some semblance of a ground game. At the moment the sum total of my experience is a year of wrestling back in school. You are in SLO? I used to live there back when I was a kid. Oh, I have some more questions to make you giggle.

How valuable are the throws that you get from wrestling and sambo? It seems like shooting in has been adopted more than throws in MMA tournaments, is this because of it's increased effectiveness, or just because that is how BJJ works? Or am I just plain wrong and there are tons of throws?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, looks like he put out a set of BJJ tapes a while ago, "Wrestler Killer", that got a pretty good review: http://www.members.aol.com/bjj33/killer.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 Last