226187 Bullies, 3922 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    More quotes from the anteater forum.

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...8#msg100005308

Switching gloves on the ground? Wearing shin guards? Maybe someone else can confirm this but I haven't heard of this. I'm not a expert in any way as to unregulated match rules.

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...2#msg100004942
    I've seen ammy events here at Washington were they wear shin guards and MMA gloves so the shin guards is possible. Switching to 16 oz gloves...not likely. That would require a stop in the action, both parties to put on boxing gloves, and then a start. What happens once you do all this and the guy stands up really fast. You stop again, take the gloves off and restart again? Imagine a fight with a kickboxer who is good at getting back to his feet vs a wrestler who is good at getting takedowns. Plus the fact that boxing gloves don't have the open hand configuration that allows you to actually grapple effectively.

Sorry, but I'm calling shenanigans on that one!

That is a claim of a 2nd degree black belt in BJJ and fighting at Miletech.

Hitting the sauna after an intense workout? Maybe someone can reply as to whether or not this is a good idea.

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...5#msg100005075
    The 2nd degree thing makes it all the more suspect and also can help to cast doubt on any potential timeline. He may be assuming that, like other martial arts, when you reach black belt in BJJ you are considered a 1st degree. For those not in the know, you are not. You are a black belt with no degrees. You typically get additional degrees from the organization you are a part of or your instructor. These are usually not given out arbitrarily like tabs in the lower ranks. They usually require 2-3 years in service in the rank teaching, competing, or otherwise actively involved in the art:

http://www.ibjjf.org/graduation.htm

Above he claims to 'delete his SherDog record' every so often. Is that even possible?

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...0#msg100005120
    As I understand it, fights are submitted to these databases and not entered manually by a "user". There may also be some independent confirmation put forth on the part of the database as well. Not to say that the system can't somehow be abused by him randomly submitting information. However, its doubtful he is going in and randomly deleting his fights. That's like me saying I randomly go into Google and delete search results just because I have a GMail account. Can some of the fighters here who have Sherdog Fighter accounts chime in on what special privileges you may have with regards to the fighter database?

Avoiding answering questions (see Bullshidoka Arguments).

If he fought in KOTC, his name would be well documented outside of SherDog.
    Self explanatory. Again, not saying it isn't possible but it would be more believable if it was some small time regional promotion. Although KOTC isn't as big as say UFC or even Strikeforce, it's been around for quite a while and anyone who has followed MMA knows KOTC. The fact is, if you are a regional guy and want to get noticed by the big orgs, KOTC is sort of the "minor leagues" that get you noticed by the UFC, Strikeforce, Dream, etc. My guess and my personal opinion is that this was a name drop gone horribly wrong.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I caught up with Mr. Barvo on Facebook and asked him the following question:

"Been looking for a place to train here in Boise. Saw you guys at the Sub Challenge, couple questions came up. Would you be so kind as to clarify the lineage and time frame of your BBJ BB?

Here is the response that I got, word for word except for my name:
    ================================================== ==
    Hey XXXX,
    Thanks for the question, hope you enjoyed watching the NWSC, and I'd be glad to answer your questions. I started training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in '99, earned my Black Belt on October 19th, 2007 while living in Southern California. I received my rank from Tom Cicero, a native Brazilian, a Black Belt and vale tudo fighter. Now I am training under a new master, will represent that team at championships, and will seek all further rank under that team. If you are in the Boise area, stop by my school and we can talk in person about Jiu-Jitsu, my training, your training, and the new team that I am currently training under.

Thanks again,

Matt
    ================================================== ==

Is this guy a joke or what? I've already decided that I will be training under Mitch Coats at Alliance, but had to have at least some reasonable angle to ask Matt. What I got was pretty much what I expected - a load of garbage.

At this point, I'll go out of my way to make sure people in this area are aware of his issues.

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 1:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It occurs to me that Barvo gave me a piece of information which I am not enjoined from announcing: Tom Cicero "did his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training at the Gracie Humaita academy in Rio de Janeiro Brazil, then began focusing on muay thai and vale tudo."

http://naming-schemes.org/~chardin/m...ambeast-3.html

I have tried emailing the official contact address for the Gracie Academy on Rua Humaita, webmaster@academiagracie.com.br, but I get a "mailbox full" bounce message. Also, I know no Portuguese.

Does anyone know a way to contact that academy, and does anyone here know enough Portuguese to attempt an inquiry email about Tom Cicero?

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 1:32am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More information dumping.

http://fullcontactidaho.com/index.ph...58&Itemid=9999

Bronco Jiu-Jitsu

1515 University Drive
    83725 Boise
    ADA
    Idaho USA
    Email: Email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
    Contact Person: Matt
    Bronco Jiu-Jitsu and Mixed Martial Arts is the newest and best place to train MMA in Idaho. Learn top notch MMA fighting skill and self defense techniques from a Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt and Pro MMA fighter. These classes will give beginners thru advanced martial arts practitioners and MMA fighters an understanding of what it's like to train like an Ultimate Fighter.
    For more info on this class, send Matt a message at myspace.com/zifish today.
    This appears to be when he taught BJJ at the university (Boise State).
    Last edited by Uncle Skippy; 5/05/2010 1:42am at .

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 2:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    I have tried emailing the official contact address for the Gracie Academy on Rua Humaita, webmaster@academiagracie.com.br, but I get a "mailbox full" bounce message. Also, I know no Portuguese.

Does anyone know a way to contact that academy, and does anyone here know enough Portuguese to attempt an inquiry email about Tom Cicero?
    Cy,

I submitted a question (in English and in Portuguese translated using babelfish) via the web form. I got a message asking to visit a sender confirmation site (CAPTCHA anti-spam) and was notified the message was delivered to Rolker Gracie.

I'll post any reply and forward you the full email.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 5:36pm

Style: BBJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cy Q,
    I speak Portuguese, I lived in Rio for 2 years, if you need help, just let me know.
    Joe

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 10:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lechien over at Sherdog has started a thread asking about Matt Barvo.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/ma...idaho-1203969/

I'm awaiting account activation there to post a link to the investigation here.

EDIT:

datdamnmachine beat me to it.
    Last edited by Uncle Skippy; 5/06/2010 10:51pm at .

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    lechien over at Sherdog has started a thread asking about Matt Barvo.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/ma...idaho-1203969/

I'm awaiting account activation there to post a link to the investigation here.
    Took care of it for you. About the only thing my Sherdog account is good for really.

Posted On:
    5/07/2010 12:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey all, here is another UC Irvine Message board, similar to but not identical to the anteater board - this thread says it all (I haven't combed the board beyond this):

"**** you Matt"
    http://www.zotchat.com/viewtopic.php...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

TheStig is the user name in question here as well, last used to post in 2008, profile links to Matt's facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/zifish

Full Disclosure - I am a Boise native that trains at Alliance Jiu Jitsu, and I have been endlessly entertained by all this - first Ari Bolden having his competition coming-out at our local tournament (Northwest Submissions Challenge), now the Team Beast Expose? It's enough to give a boy the giggles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2010 10:41am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanobot View Post
    first Ari Bolden having his competition coming-out at our local tournament (Northwest Submissions Challenge)
    More info please!

Great work guys.
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast