Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 5:48pm

Style: CSW BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of mine who teaches BJJ in the area replied to my email today.

I have no knowledge as the the validity of Matt Barvo's BB... There is nothing on the internet about him(except for his own website.) He has never competed before in NAGA, GrapplersQuest, or the IBJJF. When he first moved here a year ago he clamied to be a Machado BB. That story fell through. Then he claimed to be a Claudio Franca BB. That story fell through too. Now he claims to be a Tom C. BB. He has even said that he is with Brasa Now...
    So apparently hes going with Brasa?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 6:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please save that email.

Also, can you or he direct us to threads or advertisements where he made these other claims.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 5:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys. This thread is pretty interesting. I encountered Matt Barvo about 2 years ago on the UC Irvine message board. At the time, he was claiming to be a 2nd degree black belt in BJJ. He also claimed to own a Ferrari. He also claimed to be a professional racecar driver. I asked him to roll with me and he instead challenged me to a cage fight, for which we would sell tickets. His internet persona seemed a bit dubious to say the least. I think he claimed to have trained under one of the Machado brothers as well as Pat Militech. He also said to have fought for the WEC. (Or was going to fight for the WEC, I cant recall.)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 5:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a thread with several of his claims... if you explore his posts, there might be more info for you.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 6:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the thread that potatowned posted:

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...5#msg100005035

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig
    you're not calling me out, you're making a statement, brah. basically, with determination, skill, the right connections, and a **** load of money, you can do anything your heart desires, whether it's mma or racing cars.

but let me guess, you're obviously asian so i bet you did some tae kwon do a few years ago or some other useless martial art and now think you're an expert. you never cease to amaze me.

but, got my black belt under the Machado brothers in 2004, lots of fun, taught the junior classes. as stated above, i trained at the miletich camp in bettendorf and san jose, did some awesome KOTC and other low key MMA **** with them, 4-1 record, not too shabby. moved to newport and started up at HB-Ultimate and trained with tito, tiki, and razor for a bit, team punishment is really great.

now i'm taking it easy, and just lifting weights and rolling with friends for fun. gonna go watch some mma fights though, maybe kick up my training, and get back into fighting, wanna give the WEC a whirl as a lightweight.
    Doing a search for 'barvo' results in 2 hits. The first appears to be a post by TheStig in the 'pictures of yourself' thread. The content of that message is empty though (deleted).

The second hit leads to a thread where someone on the board calls him out on claiming to the 'the stig' (see Top Gear) and here is "TheStig's" response:

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...5022#msg625022

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig
    Matt Barvo, or TheStig. Your story doesn't add up at all. 1. BBC's desire to mask the identity of their character is huge. If you really did drive as the stig and you just revealed your identity as Matt Barvo, you'd probably be in huge trouble since you most likely broke some type of NDA. Makes no sense why to come on here as thestig in the first place. 2. You're taking your MCATs. You're not a professor, and you're not psych. You're also in immunology. Most likely you want to pursue medicine.
    1. bbc masks the identity and it is huge. but consider perry mccarthy, he revealed his identity, and do you think bbc really cares about aef? my story doesn't need to add up to anyone besides me, my family, and my friends. 2. i'm going to take an mcat, i'm clearly not a professor, i am psych but i applied under bio, my uci name search says bio because i didn't change it and you're not some super sleuth in finding that, i've never taken immunology and don't plan on it, i don't know what i wanna pursue, med, police, psych practice, csi, who knows.
    Why don't you guys just get the IP address he typically logs in from (since you are mods, that info is usually available w/ the majority of forum software I have seen) - if it's on campus (i.e. @ one of the grad/undergrad housing areas), should be relatively easy to track him down to room number. If it's not... well, it should at least point to a general city location or whatnot
    i've posted my facebook. it has my address and numbers on it. no need to ip trace, just add me. here, i live on the balboa peninsula, are you happy?
    Does it really matter that this dude come clean? I mean seriously, who cares? If he is the Stig, great. Who cares? If he isn't the Stig, then no big deal. Seriously, what's the fuss about? Oh no, someone is impersonating the Stig, call him out.
    exactly, finally someone besides me with logic on this pointless thread. clearly what i've been saying all along, who cares, get over it.
    don't ruin the fun man.. this is like mystery theater. nothing wrong with being curious. is he the stig? it's a mystery :dunno:
    as i said earlier, my racing expertice threw a monkey wrench into their touting of j.how, the balance thus had to be restored, resulting in this idiotic thread that tries to slander my previous careers and accomplishments. GET OVER IT!!!
    So he mentions that he posted his facebook account. Another search yielded this post by TheStig:

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...7#msg100004117

bigredswims huh? you mean http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...oman%2Czarasua. he is back on aef, as Terrordactyl.

type in michelle ha into facebook under the uci network, her profile is the one with a pic of her legs while walking in grass with a huge shadow, add her for more pics.

and we all know my facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=562167630
    which is Matt Barvo. Just trying to confirm that TheStig is Matt Barvo.

More interesting posts by Matt:

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...4#msg100005294

yeah, right on schedule, if not ahead, keep it up cuz dedication is key! i was the fastest at my dojo to belt up, took a little over 6 months for each belt, but i was in there from like 3-10pm every day training, had friends who were bigger or higher rank come over to my house to roll on off days, and then started teaching junior classes when i got my purple belt.

congrats on second place, bet it was really great for you to compete and experience the difference between training at the gym and rolling intensly with different bodies at different skill levels, cuz even though they're all beginners some are better than others. competing doesn't necessarily make you progress thru the ranks faster, it gives you an opportunity to get better at the techniques and practice more, which gives you a chance to ask your instructor to test you up.

competing is always a good idea for no other reason than to get a different perspective on techniques or broaden your experiences. cuz maybe the people you train with regularly do X when you attack Y, but someone from a different school does F when you do Y, it gives you exposure to different ways to do technique and maybe you implement their techniques.

smokers are cool, they don't go on your record, they are very safe since you can only hit certain body parts with certain gloves, it lets you implement all of your techniques such as moo thai striking, bjj takedowns and submissions, and reversals of their techniques, and it gets you exposure in the mma world. there are usually people from every weight class available to scrap with, tell your instructor and he'll get you set up.
    http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...5#msg100004755

looks like the arc teaches jiujitsu on mondays(7-8:50) and thursdays(9:30-10:50). apparently it's 30 bucks, by joseph bulock who i believe is a purple belt, pretty much useless. http://www.campusrec.uci.edu/classes/maschedule.asp, click on the link on the left hand pane that says martial arts, look thru them and you may find one you like. tae kwon do is a ridiculous and useless martial art, absolutely no effect without wearing a gi or the stupid multi-striped belts. if you wanna kick, check out muay thai, a real martial art that works.

remember, the classes are just BASIC self defense classes, don't think taking the jiujitsu class at the arc will help you get in the WEC or something. if you want serious martial arts training, check out Chute Boxe or HB-Ultimate which are both in huntington. you will get great mixed martial arts training there by MMA champ instructors.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 6:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 6:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't want to intersperse the above snippets with analysis so here that is.

- Refers to "Muay Thai" as "moo thai" (it is taking an immense amount of self control to NOT make a cow-boxing jokes.)

- Refers to a purple belt as "useless" (disclaimer: I am a purple belt so I'm not going to harp on this one due to an apparent conflict of interest)

- Refers to his school as a 'dojo' which is odd for BJJ in my experience.

- He trained 6 months at 'each belt', and was 'was in there from like 3-10pm every day'. 6 months per belt in BJJ is unheard of.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 6:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why? Purple is basically the mid rank in BJJ. You are working your way into the advanced ranks IMO. Conflict is you training at a competing gym.

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 6:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So on that forum he got a black belt in 2004, and on his website he got a black belt in 2007?

No. Just no.

I've let Barvo know he needs to get onto this discussion and clear things up.
    Last edited by Cy Q. Faunce; 5/04/2010 6:38pm at .

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 6:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More quotes from the anteater forum.

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...8#msg100005308

yeah, there are mma smokers. you wear shin guards and mma gloves while standing with no head shots, then switch to 16oz boxing glove once you get a takedown and can hit the head but submissions are a bit hard with the gloves.

either muay thai or mma smokers, why not give it a try? it gives you experience and is super fun to explore the limits of the skills you'll probably never use in real life
    Switching gloves on the ground? Wearing shin guards? Maybe someone else can confirm this but I haven't heard of this. I'm not a expert in any way as to unregulated match rules.

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...2#msg100004942

I'm about 165lbs and apparently somewhere under 6', but I've been weight training intensely since 2004, fighting MMA (2nd degree black belt in bjj, 5 years miletich fighting systems/muay thai), and racing cars (high g-forces and concentration).

apexle, you're the one who wants to shed some weight, right? in my observations, the most affective way to drop weight is to sign up for a kickboxing and jiujitsu class. it is a high intensity cardio workout, it cuts weight and burns calories at a much higher rate than any other cardio training regimen, it tones and builds muscle, and is a hellovalot more fun than running on a treadmill or elliptical. doing a bjj and kickboxing up to 4 times a week and maybe hitting a sauna afterwords will get you to that goal weight in record time, no doubt about it. then after the fat loss, sign up at Golds and weight train like crazy, you'll be lean and buff like crazy, look out mr olympia, haha.
    That is a claim of a 2nd degree black belt in BJJ and fighting at Miletech.

Hitting the sauna after an intense workout? Maybe someone can reply as to whether or not this is a good idea.

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...5#msg100005075

crono35, i hate shoulders too, but not as much as i hate legs.

great history lesson, danny, but see, i already knew that stuff, never been a fan of bj either. and also, i'm not big into hype, so i'd be the one with a 2nd degree black belt who rolls with friends for fun, or enters low key mma events for fun, or deletes my sherdog account after not fighting for some time, or laughs at your "widely documented" statement, haha. and, i've lived all over the country, i was new to newport only.

but over all, great paper , i'll give it a B- for effort.
    Above he claims to 'delete his SherDog record' every so often. Is that even possible?

http://anteaterforum.com/index.php?t...0#msg100005120

martial arts is about respect, i won't dignify your guy's inquiries with an more answers, since it's obvious that you don't have respect.

but:

tpr950h, 7 months is good, stick with it! train every chance you get, practice with friends and other bjj students, push yourself to grapple with the bigger people and advanced students in class and try hard and if you get jammed up ask for advice and you'll be good in no time. remember, jiujitsu is about technique and not muscle, so don't try to force a move. yes, i got my belt in '04, and haven't fought mma in a while, and it was low key stuff at that, kotc and the like, lightweight isn't a popular class either. but ask your instructor about upcoming competitions, there is stuff for every level to try out and HAVE FUN, and smokers/no-gi grappling events are a great place to start.
    Avoiding answering questions (see Bullshidoka Arguments).

If he fought in KOTC, his name would be well documented outside of SherDog.
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast