Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182425262728 2930 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 3:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey guys anyone contact these dudes about Mat Barvo ?

http://www.usajj.com/jiujitsu-school...mma-usajj.html

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 11:46am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by komunista View Post
    hey guys anyone contact these dudes about Mat Barvo ?

http://www.usajj.com/jiujitsu-school...mma-usajj.html
    I'm not sure if anybody from here did it, but somebody has already contacted them:

http://usajj.com/blog/usajj-welcomes...f-eagle-idaho/

Note the 'Edit' below the article. There has been no follow-up from USA Jiu Jitsu.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    1/27/2011 5:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the UG thread:

EatonBeever spoke with Brandon at Team Hardcore which is the gym out of which Matt was last renting space for Team Beast.

Matt was still showing up after the Team Beast web site was removed and he was expelled from Checkmat.

Brandon was not aware of the controversy surrounding Matt's black belt. Here is a summary of the conversation:

Quote Originally Posted by EatonBeever
    -Brandon knew something was fishy with matt when one of his amatuer fighters tapped Barvo before.

-Matt critized one of Team Hardcore's coaches about his teaching and the coach got in Barvo's face and told him to roll with him. Barvo walked away and said no because 'you're out of my weight class'.

-I asked about Ricky, Ricky was indeed another fake. Claimed he was a black belt under Bas Rutten and they knew he was full of ****.

-Matt did not show up tonight even though his facebook posting today said he was going to the gym to 'roll' according to his facebook posts.

-Matt usually only shows up for around 3-4 people every night to grapple.

-Brandon said he refused to grapple any of the Team Hardcore guys, but he did pay his rent on time.

-Brandon knows Mitch and Keith Owens and likes them a lot. It seems the BJJ community is a tight group in Idaho.

-Brandon told me that its a small community and he's going to personally inform the other gyms about Barvo so they know not to get duped.
    As of now, Brandon is no longer allowing Matt to rent space at Team Hardcore.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    2/02/2011 2:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the UG thread:

Kevin Howell posted the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Howell
    OK guys, I have some news for you. Right now, Leandro is waiting to get his Underground account unlocked so that he can come on here and answer some questions. If any of you know Kirik, maybe he can push it through. In the meantime, Leandro and his fiancee asked me to post this message for him.

Regarding a video, I don't think that is a reality. Leandro is still in Brazil until the 15th, where he is training in SP and Rio and I have only talked with him ONCE. I really doubt Barvo is able to get a hold of him to film a video confessional.

So here is what Leandro has to say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandro Vieira
    Hello guys, this is Leandro Vieira.

First of all I'd like to say I feel really sorry for this whole situation, for how far this has got and especially for having to apologize because of a huge misunderstanding. I can't put in words how painful has been reading all the stuff that has been said about my brothers, our team and my integrity as a man and a BJJ practitioner since 5 years old. In fact, I cannot blame on any of you because most of you don't know me, the same way I didn't know Matt Barvo. I think this is good start for my statement and means much more than everything I'll say below.

When I first spoke to Matt he just seemed to be a normal guy from Idaho that loves BJJ and would like to host me for a seminar at his academy. I went there for a few days, we had the seminar done and we rolled a couple of times. At this point I would never imagine that he could be using a rank he didn't own because this never happened to us in Brazil. Maybe this was my biggest mistake.

Between my first and second visit to Team Beast I have talked a lot with Barvo. By the time I mentioned something about the topics that were discussing his history, he said that those were guys from other BJJ academies at Idaho that wanted to boycott his team. And I believed him because that's the way I do: I trust in people because I've learned to be honest. From this time on we started talking about the possibility of his team to be affiliate with Checkmat and the "fake belt" subject was never touched again until a month ago. All I can say is that since my second visit everything has changed, the discussion became stronger and here we are today.

Usually, Checkmat keeps all affiliate issues internal, but because of the level of this one, I will share with you the results. In early January, we heard that the CBJJ doesn’t recognize Matt's belt and that he can’t support his belt history, I decided to give him one more chance. I let him continue as a student only, if he quit teach, traded his black belt for a white belt, and publicly apologized for creating these problem. So far, I have seen one draft of an apology that did not include accepting any blame and I can’t support this. So, because been a month now and nothing has happened, I need to make sure something does. As of now, Feb 1, 2011, Matt Barvo has no relation to the Checkmat team as either an affiliate or personal student. He had his chance to do right. I only hope he does right thing in future for his friends, family, and students.

At this moment I'm at Brazil enjoying my 8-year old son school vacations with limited access to emails and internet at all. I just felt I needed to say that I never received any money in exchange for acting as an "accomplice" to this story. I would NEVER throw a successful story like my brothers and mine in the mud for a bunch of money. Money never meant anything to me and being part of my team has not a price. The “price” we set is not paid in bills but in devotion, effort, training, competence and dignity. That’s what we seek for Checkmat and that is why we are the team we are today: a few but good ones.

I honestly don’t know yet how’s this story ending, but there’s something I can assure: I will do whatever it takes for it to finish correctly. I do not accept another end. I hope soon we all can read his statement the same way I did. Also I won't promise I'll doubt new members from this day on, for sure I wouldn't go so far, but I do commit to search deeper before associating any other athlete to Checkmat.

Sorry this take so long, writing in English is hard for me and I need wait for my fiancée to help with my words. Thank you for understanding.

Obrigado,

Leandro Vieira
    Matt was apparently given a chance to "make right" with CheckMat (public apology video to everyone, start at white belt), but his first video didn't admit any wrong doing. The second revision of the video took too long so Leandro officially removed Matt from CheckMat.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    2/02/2011 8:19am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And the final nail is pounded home.

I don't have Facebook, Google's apparent link to his profile page shows the profile is unavailable? Did he take his Facebook page down? If anyone can see it, has he given any indication that he's seen this yet, and/or responded to it?

Posted On:
    2/02/2011 7:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think the UG thinks it's the final nail just yet. They should be pretty careful how they continue this, though. Samuel Browning, if you're reading this, and if I can respond to PMs, please shoot me a PM - I have a question that I'd like to bounce off of someone knowledgeable prior to making a more general post.

Whacker - he's made his FB page unaccessible to the general public. And yes, there are multiple confirmations from other forums that he is staying abreast of these developments. No, he's not responding to the crux of the inquiry, but trying to deflect.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    2/02/2011 9:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    I don't think the UG thinks it's the final nail just yet. They should be pretty careful how they continue this, though. Samuel Browning, if you're reading this, and if I can respond to PMs, please shoot me a PM - I have a question that I'd like to bounce off of someone knowledgeable prior to making a more general post.
    Eldritch,

I PM'ed Sam to get his attention for you.

If it is OK with you, I'd like to be CC'ed on the messages because I think I know what you're asking about and am curious about Sam's thoughts. If it isn't OK, no problem. Just let Sam know either way when he PM's you.

Posted On:
    2/02/2011 10:57pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post

Whacker - he's made his FB page unaccessible to the general public. And yes, there are multiple confirmations from other forums that he is staying abreast of these developments. No, he's not responding to the crux of the inquiry, but trying to deflect.
    email me at
    Depending on your inquiry I may, or may not be able to reply. I try to avoid taking on more pro-bono clients.
    Last edited by Sam Browning; 2/03/2011 3:00pm at . Reason: email address removed

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    2/03/2011 2:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the UG thread:

EatonBeever has exchanged a few e-mails with Matt Barvo. Sent Eaton the following messages (screen captured from Eaton's Facebook account):

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Barvo
    Matt then followed it up with this message:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Barvo
    Not to be splitting hairs, but in the 'apology' above:

- He apologized for other people's actions, not his own.
    - He admits that he mislead people, but then qualifies it with "it wasn't his intention"
    - Spends the majority of the message talking about his own training as opposed to addressing the people (specifically, his former students) who are the victims in this situation

It is also worth noting that he was doing revisions of this apology message with Leandro and (Leandro's fiancee) Giovanna. It took a couple of revisions to end up at the above wording. As mentioned in the previous post by Leandro, the first draft didn't admit any wrong-doing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dgmMS.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	11944  

Posted On:
    2/03/2011 1:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skippy - I emailed SB - if you PM me (and I can reply), I'll gladly forward you my query.