Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 4:40pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by potatowned View Post
    the lineage you posted has a typo. it lists "carlos gracie JR" as a student of maeda. it should be carlos gracie SR. you might want to let the web guy at your school know.
    There is another error on that list, under Rolls Gracie. It lists my instructor as Marcio Macarrao. "Macarrao" is his nickname (Brazilian for noodle). The correct name is Marcio Stambowsky.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 1:28am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joecos View Post
    There is another error on that list, under Rolls Gracie. It lists my instructor as Marcio Macarrao. "Macarrao" is his nickname (Brazilian for noodle). The correct name is Marcio Stambowsky.
    Nicknames are used with great familiarity in Brazil, which is where the list was likely composed. The inclusion of his nickname was deliberate.

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 3:02am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by faybio View Post
    Nicknames are used with great familiarity in Brazil, which is where the list was likely composed. The inclusion of his nickname was deliberate.
    As I mentioned above, the lineage was copied from a link to the now defunct bjj.org, and the name might very well have been listed as listed as "Marcio Macarrao" on that site.

I know that bjj.org had a listing for a "Mario Sukata," and I had thought that "Sukata" was Mario's last name--until I found out that Neto was his actual last name and "Sukata" was a nickname by which he was popularly known.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2010 4:12pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was hesitant to post this up as this thread has been dead for about 1 month, but I find this video that Mr. Owen had up to be somewhat relevant to the discussion. The video is of Ricky Robinson being beaten by a Keith Owen purple belt. Ricky is considerably larger than the purple belt and seems to be a bit outmatched. I searched Ricky Robinson, since I thought he had been mentioned here, and came up with this thread. The video is here: http://idahojiujitsu.com/showthread.php?tid=19

Anyway, sorry for the necro, but I found this interesting.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2010 4:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They built their house, dug their own grave, etc ... now they will make a bed and cuddle in it. Matt and Ricky will never be able to dodge the controversy, so they might as well pack up and try to move their scam elsewhere.

On a side note - I was at the NWSC (I live in Boise) and watched this match (I am visible in that video a few times). The crowd support for Ricky Robinson's opponent (Matt Owen, a Keith Owen purple belt and certified BAMF) was off the charts. The video does not do it justice - that place blew up when Ricky tapped.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    10/04/2010 6:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    I was hesitant to post this up as this thread has been dead for about 1 month, but I find this video that Mr. Owen had up to be somewhat relevant to the discussion. The video is of Ricky Robinson being beaten by a Keith Owen purple belt. Ricky is considerably larger than the purple belt and seems to be a bit outmatched. I searched Ricky Robinson, since I thought he had been mentioned here, and came up with this thread. The video is here: http://idahojiujitsu.com/showthread.php?tid=19
    Video breakdown based on my opinions:

- Ricky has no base when in Keith's guard (butt is elevated, head is forward ALL the time)
    - Ricky is reaching trying to trap HANDS above Keith's head when in Keith's guard
    - Ricky is gripping Keith's gi for no apparent reason when in Keith's guard
    - Ricky is not attempting any pass when in Keith's guard
    - Ricky has no posture in Keith's guard
    - Ricky does not commit to any takedown
    - Ricky was not active in the least when mounted by Keith
    - .. and a few other nit picks

All of these things are usually trained out of people before they get to blue belt or very shortly there-after.

Keith played a very nice technical match which let him go for a long match with somebody who significantly outweighed him. Just about everything Keith did had a purpose (grips included).

In my not-so-important opinion, skill-wise Ricky is probably a high white belt and is making up for lack of technique with the size and strength advantage.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/04/2010 6:54pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    I
    Anyway, sorry for the necro, but I found this interesting.
    Never apologize for a relevant necro. We have been waiting for someone to go by or get video. This is the proper way to bump an old MABS thread.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2010 8:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skippy, that was not Keith Owen in the match. That was Matt Owen, his top purple belt student. Matt is a well traveled grappler and a Grappler's Question champion.

They're not related, btw :)

Keith can be seen in the video, speaking with Matt during the match and helping him to calm his breathing and take his time.
    Last edited by eyemyor; 10/04/2010 8:19pm at .

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    10/04/2010 8:23pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemyor View Post
    Skippy, that was not Keith Owen in the match. That was Matt Owen, his top purple belt student. Matt is a well traveled grappler and a Grappler's Question champion.
    My mistake. I knew that from reading the thread on Sherdog, but for some reason "Keith" came out instead of "Matt".

I can't edit the post now :-P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 4:40am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    Video breakdown based on my opinions:

- Ricky has no base when in Keith's guard (butt is elevated, head is forward ALL the time)
    - Ricky is reaching trying to trap HANDS above Keith's head when in Keith's guard
    - Ricky is gripping Keith's gi for no apparent reason when in Keith's guard
    - Ricky is not attempting any pass when in Keith's guard
    - Ricky has no posture in Keith's guard
    - Ricky does not commit to any takedown
    - Ricky was not active in the least when mounted by Keith
    - .. and a few other nit picks

All of these things are usually trained out of people before they get to blue belt or very shortly there-after.

Keith played a very nice technical match which let him go for a long match with somebody who significantly outweighed him. Just about everything Keith did had a purpose (grips included).

In my not-so-important opinion, skill-wise Ricky is probably a high white belt and is making up for lack of technique with the size and strength advantage.

You'd think black belt vs. purple belt (ANY PURPLE BELT) would be a complete schooling.

Also, Matt Barvo's still on http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/ talking as a blackbelt and giving people "advice"
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21222324 ... LastLast