Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 10:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained at that location and I can tell you from my experience the problems can be traced back to one person. The guy who runs the dojo. He's negative to staff, disrespectful to instructors (including JYT) and constantly tries to sell the latest 'product'. The primary interest at that dojo isn't the students or the honor of martial arts...it's to make money.
    Most of the students I've trained with there are great people. I've trained with a higher belt who told me to 'take it easy on him' but it was obvious to me he was joking as he was a good martial artist. I'm more concerned with the teenagers instructing classes!
    I don't train there any longer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 11:38am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    BTW, I just heard Therien just got promoted to 10th dan.
    John Therien was promoted to 9th dan. Georges Sylvain would be the only 10th dan as founder of can-ryu jiu jitsu system.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 11:15pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my bad....I misquoted my source.

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 2:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This can't be good for business

I's always bad when you have an adult instructor messing around with a 13 year old.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ji...850/story.html

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 5:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's important to note that this whole discussion has been about 1 of 8 independantly owned and operated Therien schools. All of them have their stronger and weaker points and I have trained at two of the different schools over the years. I love the principles the school was founded on and the curiculum but I know it's not for everyone. Go check out the club for yourself, there are 8 to chose from across the city. Not just the Vanier club as described above.

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 6:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Can Ryu Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello all.
    I am on of the many black belt that trains at Therien Vanier location in both Jiu Jitsu and kickboxing (for more than 5 years now). Reading the previous posts, I have to say that I disagree with most of them. Our Master club classes are interesting, challenging, intense and varied. The kids class are well supervised (myself and at least 5-8 other assistants being on the mats with the instructors). The kickboxing classes are diversified and high in energy. For those who complain about not enough sparring in kb classes... well you didn't go to specific session for sparring only, with peolpe that DO WANT contact! Of course full-contact sparring will not be thought in novice classes!!!
    So before spreading bad rumors about a location / school, maybe you should know what you are really talking about...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 12:56pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough girl View Post
    Hello all.
    I am on of the many black belt that trains at Therien Vanier location in both Jiu Jitsu and kickboxing (for more than 5 years now). Reading the previous posts, I have to say that I disagree with most of them. Our Master club classes are interesting, challenging, intense and varied. The kids class are well supervised (myself and at least 5-8 other assistants being on the mats with the instructors). The kickboxing classes are diversified and high in energy. For those who complain about not enough sparring in kb classes... well you didn't go to specific session for sparring only, with peolpe that DO WANT contact! Of course full-contact sparring will not be thought in novice classes!!!
    So before spreading bad rumors about a location / school, maybe you should know what you are really talking about...
    Tough girl, if you've got the time and inclination, perhaps you could have a look at the guidelines and write another version of the dojo review.

Wouldn't hurt to have an insider's perspective to counterbalance what was posted by people who have an axe to grind.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12