Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 3:32am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Link to a thread regarding deployment when I was living in Wisconsin. Along these lines, but with the "extremely cold weather" variable thrown in.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 11:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Filipino Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog View Post
    Link to a thread regarding deployment when I was living in Wisconsin. Along these lines, but with the "extremely cold weather" variable thrown in.

Aloha, Poi
    There is good stuff in that thread, thanks for linking it. This is something I've thought about, and played around with myself. Working with gloves is always a pain in the ass. I'd recommend a blade that deploys itself from draw, like the P'Kal folder from Spyderco/Shivworks. As long as you establish master grip properly, simply pulling the knife out of your pocket facilitates blade deployment. Reference the links below to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...html?s=sp103gp

YouTube- P'Kal Folder Carry and Deployment

I'm not advertising, a buddy of mine on a local tac team carries one and swears by it. The p'kal grip/methodology is not my favorite, though I will admit it is a damn fine system if you know what you are doing.

Sidenote on the cold weather thread: Fixed blades have questionable legality depending on your state. Some states are flexible in what defines a fixed blade, others are not. If you are going to look at a fixed blade for a cold weather/draw solution then check your state laws to make sure you are in the clear.

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 11:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: english

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for information

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 5:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Filipino Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost forgot that one of the new Spyderco Endura models has the Emerson opening feature that does more or less the same thing as the Shivworks model I linked before. Here's a link to that one:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=226

I haven't gotten to play with it myself, so I cannot testify to how well it opens with the pocket deployment concept (given Spyderco's reputation I'm reasonably sure it's not crap though).

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 3:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sayoc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, Janno. Thanks for the well written post. Taking into account the cultural differences betweent the UK and the USA, I would say that FMA Systems and Sylliby in the USA will yield a handful of styles that address the " combatives " aspect of this conversation. Finally, in Western society, it is up to the " individual " to evaluate what he is missing and fill it in. If any given individual cannot objectively evaluate himself and his weakenesses then he is at a disadvantage in life, let alone the martial arts.

Posted On:
    11/06/2011 6:57pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    yup we do training for deployment. I start with students learning the basic knife tap series and then move to non-sequential training of the same material. Then we do empty handed defense to deployment exercises. Training folding knives are hard to come by over here so I just let my students carry their training knives in either their pocket or in the waistband. I know that its not as realistic but given the circumstances that's the best we can do. The student needs to deal with the intial attack first and immediately move to deploying the weapon. The more advances guys try to foul the draw as best they can, just to stress out the student
    Yeah the body mechanics of the knife-tapping during our drills have you hitting your normal deployment points under pressure with high repetition. We ran a pressure test with trainers at one of the camps, and found people able to hit a hip/pocket draw pretty consistently
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12