Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 5:10pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's about 50-50 in my club (the t-shirt thing). I preferred not to wear one because I need the ventilation, but then last week suddenly became self-conscious about showing everyone my gut.

Bad move. I chose an old, beaten up but comfortable, t-shirt that belonged to my brother-in-law. It was yellow with "Shaolin Kung Fu" written in Chinese characters on the front. One kid can read Chinese, told everyone what it said, and they spent the rest of the night taking the piss out of me. "Kill him first, he knows Kung Fu".

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 5:40pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can only learn this properly over time, but keep your arms loose in judo.

The big thing is, when you don't mind about getting thrown, your own judo will improve. Stiff arms get you nowhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 7:47pm

Style: Parkour, BJJ and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DayOfTheJackass. I will be training at Dominance in Richmond. Do you train there? I think Rask from the forums does, but not sure when. I'll try to pick him out.

www.dominance.com.au

I'm really looking forward to it. We learn a lot about breakfalls in parkour, in fact we started rolling from a standing position on to concrete last week. Left me with a nasty bruise :( but got the hang of it now.

Man all this stuff about the difficulty and pain makes me more excited! That probably sounds weird.

And hesperus, don't worry about me neglecting my Judo, I don't really know what I want to train more. I'm throwing in some Freestyle Wrestling to get some no gi practise in as well.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    We learn a lot about breakfalls in parkour, in fact we started rolling from a standing position on to concrete last week. Left me with a nasty bruise :( but got the hang of it now.
    well, now you need to un-learn that and learn to breakfall judo style (and that means... wait for it... slap mat.)

i learned breakfalls in CMA, and it has been a total pain to learn to do judo ukemi, but it's important to do so. getting thrown by someone who is trying to drive you down through the floor, and who is going to land on you is a lot different than taking a fall while doing parkour. trust me, i skateboarded most of my life and have taken many falls on concrete and rolled out of many of them unscathed... but that ain't judo.

enjoy!
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 8:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh OK. Well thanks for the heads up.

I can't believe you skateboard. I surf, snowboard and do parkour, but skateboarding is just unnatural to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 8:44pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's important to establish yourself high up in the pecking order. You need to get taps and ippons right away. Power through some stuff if you have to. And if you can't get out of a situation, just flail your arm and legs around and even crossface the other guy. And remember it's basically a race out there, so do everything as quick as you can. Got an arm? Pull it fast and hard. The other guy wants to throw you? Stiffarm that mofo. Just make sure you win. The ego boost will help with your confidence. Also, interrupt the instructor with random questions to establish your superior knowledge over a particular topic.

No wait, do the exact opposite of everything I just wrote.

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 9:13pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry about ukemi, learning it is the easiest thing in the world. You either get it right, or it keeps hurting. There's not too many better motivators out there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 11:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Snicker. That's exactly what the guys from parkour told me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2010 5:12am

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78 View Post

Edit: oh and wear t-shirt or rashguard under the Gi like at all times...
    yeah, especially with Judo Gi... I have one (which is a bit on the small side TBH) and it rubs like a bitch because of the heavier weave of the cloth.

Also - a bit of protection for your squidgy bits might also be a good idea. if doing rolling with any serious degree.... gum-shield and nut-box should be worn as a matter of course.

But be careful as to which box you get - the ones designed for cricket are very robust, but they can hamper movement.

:new_infin

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2010 8:44am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally never had any comments from anyone in Judo or BJJ classes I took for wearing t-shirt or rashguard underneath Gi. As for the shirt, I always wore blank t-shirt.

Reasons for me doing it were.
    1. Help reduce any risk for skin transferable stuff
    2. Don't have to touch other guy's sweating chest with my sweating chest and feel all nasty
    3. Have the shirt soak up some sweat so my Gi doesn't stink as bad between washes.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast