Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 5:25am

Style: Parkour, BJJ and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Starting BJJ and Judo soon...

Hey Bullshido,

Well I am starting to do some serious training (finally) at Dominance MMA. Dominance, Bullshido, and the early UFCs recommend starting with the grappling program, so that's what I'll be doing.

I'd like to start by saying how unbelievably excited I am about training in a legitimate, effective MA. Don't be mean, or you'll kill the joy.

Anyway, I don't want to be a casual student, not for the price and commitment that this school demands. Despite starting VERY late (I'm 17 in a on the 26th <:) ) I'm hoping to get some success in fighting, or at least getting somewhere good in MA. Is this too late, am I an idiot for dreaming, or should I just shut up and train?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 5:40am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    Hey Bullshido,

Well I am starting to do some serious training (finally) at Dominance MMA. Dominance, Bullshido, and the early UFCs recommend starting with the grappling program, so that's what I'll be doing.

I'd like to start by saying how unbelievably excited I am about training in a legitimate, effective MA. Don't be mean, or you'll kill the joy.

Anyway, I don't want to be a casual student, not for the price and commitment that this school demands. Despite starting VERY late (I'm 17 in a on the 26th <:) ) I'm hoping to get some success in fighting, or at least getting somewhere good in MA. Is this too late, am I an idiot for dreaming, or should I just shut up and train?
    Dude, 17 is NOT a very late start. I was 25 when I started training BJJ, and that's not even what I would call "very late." One of my White Belts just turned 50, last month. You've got plenty of time, at 17.

Good luck!

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 5:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite starting VERY late (I'm 17 in a on the 26th <:) ) I'm hoping to get some success in fighting, or at least getting somewhere good in MA. Is this too late, am I an idiot for dreaming, or should I just shut up and train?
    You think 17 is very late? Cobrinha and Demian Maia didn't start till they were in their 20s.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 5:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I'm not trying to become the next big thing in MMA, just trying to get as far as I can in the sport.

I plan to train my ass off, attending 4 nights of training a week, which means 6 sessions a week. In addition to this, my style field reads 'Parkour' which the informed may know for producing great fitness levels. I'm not in a dick waving contest here, since I'm still a noob, but just stating what I want to do.

Other than this, what advice can you give me? I ask because this is the only real MMA fraternity I know, since most of the MAists at my school nutride Wing Chun, and especially this anorexic teacher who can punch "Like 8 times a second!!!"

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 6:15am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to this, my style field reads 'Parkour' which the informed may know for producing great fitness levels.
    there's a saying: "your first real bjj class will be the hardest workout of your life." i think you'll find a different exertion profile than you're used to.

have fun!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 6:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really used to anything in Parkour yet, other than sore legs.

I'm sure I will find it 'interesting'.

Would I be a total noob to ask about the workouts in BJJ. Sounds like a lot of core strength, abdominals and flexibility to me. I'm sure there's more to it than that though.

The first class I attend is Judo on Tuesday. I will be sure to post my impressions.

The worse they are, the better it is.

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 6:52am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, the workout is insane. It's another kind of breathing when someone is on top of you trying to smother and choke you. You'll have heaps of fucking fun, guaranteed.

Best advice I can give, remember to breathe at all times. You'll forget, another guarantee.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 7:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ, MMA ex capoeir

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your in for some good times, some bad times, and some times you feel like you need to puke everywhere! Hahaha. Have fun and I wish you luck on your endeavours mate.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 8:05am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    there's a saying: "your first real bjj class will be the hardest workout of your life."
    Pfffft! Yeah right.

I got to spend my entire first BJJ class either lying on my back or sitting on somebody. At no point did I have to pick up and throw some guy who was 1.5 times my weight while I was still winded from being buried into the mats.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 8:06am

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other than this, what advice can you give me? I ask because this is the only real MMA fraternity I know
    My advice, Listen to instructors, train, Listen and listen more.... you know short of nothing, but that is not a bad thing... (for the record I admit in the world of MA so do I an I've got about 2 decades on you).

The only other few bits advice I can give are:

1) Learn to fall well & safely - there's going to be much of it... and really it should be a thing everyone works on in MA classes (IMHO). nothing can **** you up quicker than falling in a shitty manner... be it on mat, canvas, concrete whatever.... gravity can wreck things just as quickly as walking into any bar in Glasgow and shouting 'Scots POOFS!' at the top of your lungs....

2) Don't get the arse because it takes some time get the hang of even simple techniques... I know guys who have been doing their chosen MA much longer than I and still make a mess of really mandatory stuff like break-falling (AKA falling well/safe see above). New skill sets take time and practice to perfect....

train smart, train well and train happy.....

:qgreenjum
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast