218358 Bullies, 7916 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 27 1 234511 ... LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MartialTalk.com - Douchebag of the Month - September 2009

Fair warning: in order to explain the following concept I'm about to pummel the English language harder than Dan Henderson flying across the ring to drop a fist on a smug, water-squirting Englishman.

When you've spent enough time blasting weasels in the hen house with a shotgun, you eventually get desensitized to the ruffled feathers and clucking of the bystander chickens.

I warned you.

Artist's recreation of the MartialTalk logo, which isn't much better and looks like it was posted by some weirdo Otherkin on DeviantArt

The shotgun, in this case, is evidence; the weasels, Matt Morton and others like him who lie about and forge credentials; and the chickens are the staff and many of the members of MartialTalk.com.

You see, so far we've never featured another website as a DBOTM here, for several reasons. One of which is the fact that many websites (especially the shady ones) don't particularly care where the traffic comes from or whether or not it's hostile; traffic is traffic and any coverage is essentially "good coverage" when you're in the business of getting eyeballs on a webpage. This isn't exactly true except maybe in the short term, but I'm not here to give a lesson on Internet Marketing so just take my word for it.

What's more important though, is that some webmasters and community owners feed their personal egos off of the number of given people online, even if the bulk of those are directly hostile. That makes as much sense to me as a gawky freshman thinking he's popular by virtue of a large crowd of seniors gathered around to make fun of his wolf t-shirt and World of Warcraft lunch box.

I digress. Still, there are multiple reasons for why we haven't featured other Martial Arts sites in this column, even when so many deserve it.

But there's only one reason why we've bucked our own logic this month. And that reason is because MartialTalk.com actively shelters from criticism and therefore condones the behavior of, fraudulent Martial Artists, as a matter of site policy.

If that last sentence didn't make you cock your head to the side and exclaim "DAAAMN!" like a character in a Tyler Perry movie, then you're probably on the wrong piece of Internet real estate.

That's right. Here's the actual post:

Now that's a lot of goddamn text if you're only wanting to convey "this isn't the kind of thing we do here", but it's what got republished after we discovered Matt Morton using three false documents to claim various ranks in BJJ and Judo. Morton started a thread on MartialTalk, whining about how he was being persecuted, partly because we discovered that he had photoshopped his name onto Neil Ohlenkamp's Kodokan certificate in order to claim they recognized him as a first dan.

When we confronted Morton on Martialtalk, their staff had an issue, not with the individual who had been found repeatedly forging martial arts documents, but with the people who pointed out such disreputable behavior.

Now we're used to the standard sniveling, whining, and "who appointed you to police the world" comments by people who'd apparently prefer if there was an official government agency to cover everything from fraud in the Martial Arts, to Silly Walks (some of the folks over at JudoForum, for example). Of course, we take exception to this kind of thinking, largely because it betrays an attitude of individual disempowerment and moral flaccidity (although in many cases it's just sour grapes by people who'd enjoy the cover provided by entrenched bureaucracy). But this is the first time we've seen a policy document which aggressively promoted and rationalized the online propagation of the "good old boy network" which is largely at the root of many of the problems in the Martial Arts today.

Shame on you, MartialTalk. Whereas we occasionally write up someone as a Douchebag for mostly harmless things, your policies deserve genuine scorn.

For more reading on the ongoing investigation of Matt Morton, click here. To visit MartialTalk.com, just stab yourself in the face three times and repeat "I AM A WORLD CHAMPION".

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai (beginner)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good write up Phrost. I was lurking in Morton thread and followed a link in there to the martial talk website. Couldn't believe they actually had in writing policies that can allow for the continued existence of frauds on their forums. Sucks that they punish those who ask questions about credentials and what not, but that's why Bullshido exists. I can appreciate this website more after reading Martial Talk's horrible policy.

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well written, Phrost.

It's really showing when a web forum dedicated to discussion of martial arts would harbor someone who has been proven to be a fraud. Shows exactly what kind of posters frequent that site.

This does not reflect well on them in their entirety.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:26pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know whether to be glad or to be angry. Maybe both, but I never knew it would have the effect it had on bullshido. It being the Morton case.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:35pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems like their identity is pretty much just not being bullshido.

Where I come from, that smells like victory.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's like the Catholic Church sheltering a pedophile priest and giving sanctuary. For shame on the site and the individual for forging documents.

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:44pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    It seems like their identity is pretty much just not being bullshido.

Where I come from, that smells like victory.
    Haha, yeah, that's way too much text to explain what should be a simple concept; making it read, like an obsessive rant of a dejected ex-girlfriend.

It's one thing to differentiate your product/service in the marketplace, and another thing entirely to go so far as to make your product specifically and obviously inferior. It's like if Adidas removed the soles from their shoes in order to not be like the new Nike Shox.

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:54pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good write up, Phrost and congrats on getting the Bullshido Youtube account back. This move by MartialTalk should make the site the laughingstock of all serious martial artists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Haha, yeah, that's way too much text to explain what should be a simple concept; making it read, like an obsessive rant of a dejected ex-girlfriend.

It's one thing to differentiate your product/service in the marketplace, and another thing entirely to go so far as to make your product specifically and obviously inferior. It's like if Adidas removed the soles from their shoes in order to not be like the new Nike Shox.
    You might be on to something...I would buy the Adidas Hobo!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:14pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL! I didn't see this coming, but I couldn't agree more with all of the sentiments expressed.

It's just that much more precious when people who advertise publicly get all shitty and pissy when someone actually looks into their histories and backgrounds, because those types usually seem to end up as frauds or liars. When folks set out their shingle to do business in public, by definition they open themselves to people legitimately questioning their business/credentials/services.

In this day and age, it simply doesn't make sense to buy products or services without researching the hell out of them first. "What's that you say, Mr. Salesman? This car has the best safety record in it's class? OK, I'll be back after I do some serious digging on it, and by the way also on your business to see if you've had complaints for screwing over customers. Thanks!" In such ways can we reward truth, honesty, and solid products with our hard earned dollars, and prevent ourselves from the mistake of spending cash on cheap and shitty goods or services from disreputable or dishonest people.
Page 1 of 27 1 234511 ... LastLast