Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 4:46am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training slump, advice?

Getting the obligatory suck it up ***** out of the way.

Life has been getting in the way as of late, I used to always find time regardless of how busy I was to get to training, but the last couple of months being busy at work, injuries, and looking for and buying a place has just seems to have sapped me of any motivation to the point where I'd rather go home and watch Deadwood than drive to training.

I'm down to 1 or 2 days of BJJ and a couple days of lifting, going from 3-4 days BJJ 1 day judo / 3 days lifting.

Injuries have pretty much come good, but the brain just isn't into it at the moment, not sure why, just seem to have lost that desire.

The motivation drop has come at a pretty lousy time as a few of us from the gym are heading over to Brazil to train for a few weeks in November.

I know everyone goes through this, and it isn't my livelihood, it is just a hobby, but eh, no goals, no fun, no training?

So long story short, advice to get over training slump.

tnx

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 6:04am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just coming out of a training slump, it was real hard because of some nasty injuries followed by going back on the sauce for a couple of weeks. There is a really excellent strength coach/personal trainer/nutritionist at the gym I train at so I went to him to get me back on track. It's only been about two week and my energy levels and motivation are back on track. I never did personal training before as I assumed it was a load of bollocks but the guy I use is really good. He measured everything at the start including body fat, blood pressure, max reps and VO2 max (to be rechecked every 4 weeks moving forward) - then got me started on what can only be described as the most vomit inducing work outs I've ever done (rehab exercises included for the injuries). There is no way I could work out like that without having someone looking at the clock, correct my form, spotting the heavy lifts and shouting in my ear. The end result is my KM training is back on course. At my KM school we do a lot of grappling, sparring and forced anaerobic drills - I had started dreading training because my cardio, strength and conditioning were shot which which had started to erode my motivation.
    All good now though and my energy levels seem better already. Worth checking out if the facility is available at your gym. For me keeping on top of general fitness and conditioning is what keeps me on track with everything else. Obviously it depends entirely on the PT you use though (plus you being able to push through the pain barrier). Good luck with it, hope you get back on course.

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 6:52am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first art was kickboxing, did it for a year, then stopped (lets say the place went in a direction that I felt wasn't aimed at fighting anymore).

I then stopped all training ... for 2 years.

Since coming back I've been going about 7-8 years now without a break.

Suck it up buddy, make time, time won't make you.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 6:55am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sometimes you really do need to just take a break. spend some time away from the mats, and you'll either get the bug back, or realize that you need something different.

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 7:20am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what i hated most about fight training, you can't afford to go through a slump in motivation if you have a fight booked every month.

What works for me is to change the focus of my training, if Muay Thai in particular is bumming me out I'll spend 3 months working mainly on improving one aspect of it such as the clinch or I'll reduce the number of sessions and focus on weights/sprint training.

Another good method is to start writing a training log, getting your thoughts down on paper is a great way to figure out where you want to be heading with your training.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 9:03am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Set a specific goal and a specific time frame to reach it.

So instead of "lose some weight" try "lose 10 lbs of fat by June 15".

Instead of "get better at BJJ" you could "pull off one armbar every class". And really study/work armbars for a couple months.

Shave 3 minutes off your 3 mile run time by May 30th.

A specific, attainable, and measurable goal can really help put you on track.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 9:09am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second the training log idea, also start reading other peoples training logs. I have one at kintanon.blogspot.com, slideyfoot has one at www.slideyfoot.com there are a few others around. Building connections with other peoples experiences will help you get through slumps, plus we all have slumps and those of us with blogs talk about them and how we get through them.
    One thing is to not worry too much about it. Take a couple of weeks completely off from training. Watch some bjj videos and some mma fights, but don't train at all. I know by the end of 2 weeks without training I'm burning to get back on the mats no matter how much of a "**** this ****..." slump I was in at the beginning.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 9:12am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    sometimes you really do need to just take a break. spend some time away from the mats, and you'll either get the bug back, or realize that you need something different.
    This. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Whenever I have a motivational slump I take a week or two off. Seems to work wonders. I start missing it and I can't wait to get back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can get addicted to everything you like. How much do you like training?

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 10:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Getting the obligatory suck it up ***** out of the way.

Life has been getting in the way as of late, I used to always find time regardless of how busy I was to get to training, but the last couple of months being busy at work, injuries, and looking for and buying a place has just seems to have sapped me of any motivation to the point where I'd rather go home and watch Deadwood than drive to training.

I'm down to 1 or 2 days of BJJ and a couple days of lifting, going from 3-4 days BJJ 1 day judo / 3 days lifting.

Injuries have pretty much come good, but the brain just isn't into it at the moment, not sure why, just seem to have lost that desire.

The motivation drop has come at a pretty lousy time as a few of us from the gym are heading over to Brazil to train for a few weeks in November.

I know everyone goes through this, and it isn't my livelihood, it is just a hobby, but eh, no goals, no fun, no training?

So long story short, advice to get over training slump.

tnx
    'Cos when your Over-train, you get Stale.

So, you're probably overdoing it, so cut back (something) and give yourself some proper Recovery Time.

At a past Q&A session with The Great Royce, his reply to training everyday was you'd get Burn-Out.

Cut back on the weights and do something else that also interests you, without being too demanding. That should allow your Spirit to improve and re-activate your hunger to advance.

Cheers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast