Sponsored Links Spacer Image

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/25/2010 2:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please, lets be real, if you're in the Air Force, you're not really getting shot at, either.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    4/25/2010 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Please, lets be real, if you're in the Air Force, you're not really getting shot at, either.
    My thinking, at the time, was that if you're on land it's POSSIBLE to be shot at, but at sea not so much. What little I knew then. RIP sailors of the USS Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirc
    Thanks!
    When you get to NTC Great Lakes, make sure to write us and tell us what a wonderful place it is.

I do however have a paralyzing fear of sea creatures.
    It's unlikely you'll actually be stationed on a ship, but if you do you'll see lots of jellyfish, flying fish and porpoises. You won't be close to them. At Mayport ( in Florida) we'd see the occasional manatee swimming around in the harbor.

If you're interested in electronic jobs, hit me up on messenger. I know LOTS about that.
    Last edited by hapkido_keith; 4/25/2010 11:36am at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/26/2010 4:33pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I could do it all over again I'd try to be a PEDRO! Air Force Rescue no red cross two mini guns, FTW!
    http://www.michaelyon-online.com/pedros.htm

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 10:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    If I could do it all over again I'd try to be a PEDRO! Air Force Rescue no red cross two mini guns, FTW!
    http://www.michaelyon-online.com/pedros.htm
    Mini guns FTW!

Everyone interested in joining the military should go to Youtube and search for M134 minigun. (I'd post a link, but can't at work). I think there was a Future Weapons episode about it.

If I could have a do-over of my military time, I'd want to be whatever the **** MOS gets to shoot people with that! That's one of the most awesome pieces of weaponry I've ever seen. The enemy calls it "Breath of Allah". You've got to see the videos of it being fired with tracers.

Vaporizing people is WAY cooler than taking peoples' temperature rectally.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 12:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking as a US Army guy, regular Army, I can only speak to what I remember.

Medics were trained at Ft. Sam Huston, which was also the home of the Army Nursing School. The ratio of women to men on that base was about 5 to 1.

It didn't matter what you looked like, if you were a guy all you had to do was stand on ANY corner for about 10 minutes and you WOULD get picked up. Of course this was the '70's when everyone was having sex and no one died from it.

But I would look into that if I were a young man.....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 8:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Speaking as a US Army guy, regular Army, I can only speak to what I remember.

Medics were trained at Ft. Sam Huston, which was also the home of the Army Nursing School. The ratio of women to men on that base was about 5 to 1.

It didn't matter what you looked like, if you were a guy all you had to do was stand on ANY corner for about 10 minutes and you WOULD get picked up. Of course this was the '70's when everyone was having sex and no one died from it.

But I would look into that if I were a young man.....
    Corpsmen training has a similar reputation.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/29/2010 9:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's nice to see all of this uninformed bullshit. Sirc, if you have any questions, PM me.

Oh, & btw, your average Navy Hospital Corpsman will run circles around any non-18Delta Army medic of equal time in rate. Just a fact.

SEAL HMs have to go to "A" school and pass with good marks, just like everyone else who hopes to move on to BUDS.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 4/29/2010 10:12pm at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 7:40am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 10:54am

Style: Noob-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a Corpsman from 1995 - 2000. My entire enlistment, save basic and "A" school were spent with the Marine Corps. I'll see if I can help a bit here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    I've always been interested. What's it like? What do I have to do? Is it a good idea? I was thinking of joining the Naval Reserves and doing the Corpsman recruit thingy. What's the ups? What's the downs? Should I be worried about anything? What should I ask the recruiter so he doesn't **** me?

Oh give me your wisdom.
    Being a Corpsman is equal parts awesome and "what the hell was I thinking?" It really depends on what you're looking for. We'll start with a few "ups".

You'll be trained to do things that most civvie medicos don't get to do at your level. Punching holes in people's throats with ball point pens to prevent suffocation due to inhalation burns, puting IV's into critically dehydrated people in the middle of the night, and the biggest ego booster you can get: you're the one everybody relies on. I've been woken up at 2 in the morning by my Marines because someone got might-be-alcohol-poisoning-drunk because they trusted me over the civilian paramedics down the street. You'll see an entire company of infantry Marines shut up and take notes when you start to speak because they respect the life saving knowledge you're imparting. It's also awesome to know that what you do makes a difference, even on slow days.

You'll also see and do things that most people never do with some of the most fascinating people in the world. My 1st SGT, before coming to our company, ran security at Camp David. Our Company Gunny was one of the most respected snipers in the Marine Corps. He ultimately went on to create the Marine Corps' current Mobile Sniper Team model.

now let's discuss a few "downs". Accept the fact that you have a job that no one else in the Navy, short of the SeALs and SWCCs even remotely understand. As a result, you'll be frequently treated like a second class citizen by your own shipmates simply because they can't relate to what you do. Your promotion opportunities also suck in a bad painful way. Technical jobs in the Navy are typically understaffed, so they promote quickly enough to make your head spin. The Hospital Corps is staffed at the upper levels by people who simply don't retire. As a result, there just aren't many options to move up quickly. You can get there, but everyone you went to basic with will get there first.

This is also due to the fact that the promotion test is written by people who don't serve with the FMF (Fleet Marine Force). As a result, you are expected to be a Sailor AND a Marine, so you frequently work twice as hard as other job rates. Yes, you can disassemble an M4 blindfolded in record time and can treat an open pneumothorax (sucking chest wound) while still under fire, but neither is on the exam, so while you can keep your Marines in the fight, you still don't always get rank.

Also, and here's the really painful part, your training doesn't always equate to a civilian job. Medical boards are run by their respective states and each has different standards. You can get a civvie job as an LVN in California or as an EMT in Illinois, but the great state of Texas won't recognize ANY of your skills. Want to be a nurse or Paramedic in Austin? Go back to college. Some places you can work in the field, others won't even talk to you. I found this out the hard way.

Is it true that everyone loves a corpsman?
    Bullshit. Stop listening to the recruiter. Yes your Marines will love you to death but first YOU HAVE TO EARN THEIR RESPECT FIRST. When you first arrive to your unit, you'll get quizzed, tested and possibly someone may even fake an injury just to see if you have a clue. I've seen what happens to Corpsmen who don't get the respect of their Marines. It's not pretty. Once you do earn it though, you're part of the leadership of that platoon, as you're the medical subject matter expert, and yes, many of them WOULD jump in front of a bullet for you...once you earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    You'd rather be an Army Medic. Corpsmen are Navy, which means you're going to be spending most of your time giving IVs to drunkards and handing out Motrin.

Army Medics have much more potential to see action, especially if you get yourself assigned to a combat unit. Some of the most hardcore soldiers I've known were actually Medics.
    I disagree. Corpsmen get more training than 91As for one. your basic 91A gets 4 -6 weeks of training. Corpsman "A" school is 12 weeks long, with FMSS (battlefield medicine) and additional 8 weeks. I watched an E-2 Corpsman that worked for me with one year time in service running circles around a full staff of Medics at NTC during an exercise to the point that the Commander of the base gave the boy an LCOM before we left back to 29 Palms.

Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    Just like with any other group, some that I served with were awesome and some were shitbags...

One downside to being a corpsman attached to Marines is that they probably have to try a little harder to prove themselves and be accepted. They haven't been through Marine Corps boot camp, infantry school, etc. They don't have the same physical requirements and soforth. And Marine grunts tend to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder, even towards other Marines who aren't grunts. But, like I said - after hanging with them for a while you should fit right in if you (A) can fix broken people and (B) aren't a *****.
    Quoted for the MFing truth.

Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    As a Reservist, if you're attached to a Marine Infantry unit, you'll either be sitting around in a humvee as the safety corspman on a range, or you'll be sitting around under an overhead, drinking gatorade and generally doing nothing except handing out Mucinex and Ibuprofen.
    The reserve Corpsmen I worked with only played safety games about 30% of the time. Every other time, they were doing squad rushes and ambush patrols with their platoons. The E-6 IDC sat in the HUMMV.

I love riding around on ships. I do however have a paralyzing fear of sea creatures.

I don't get sea sick or motion sickness. I have spent too much time racing in cars and reading pace notes to really get any kind of motion sickness anymore.
    The odds of going on ship are actually pretty low if you don't want to. With OIF (Iraq) and OEF (Afganistan) both going on, the need for FMF Corpsmen is very high, while ship billets are still pretty much the same as they were when I was in.

Hmmm okay, this got a lot longer than I intended for it to be. Hopefully I'm not rambling too much here. Sirc, if you have any other questions, let me know. If I can't answer it, as my knowledge is dated, I still am in contact with my shipmates who are in and I can look into getting a more current answer for you.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 11:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinKungPao View Post
    The reserve Corpsmen I worked with only played safety games about 30% of the time. Every other time, they were doing squad rushes and ambush patrols with their platoons. The E-6 IDC sat in the HUMMV.

If he's attached to a Line CO he probably will be doing that. If he's in a weapons co, he'll do alot of nothing. Being in a weapons company is awesome and still kind of sucks...last field op, our docs shot the mk-19 and the mah deuce :)

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast