Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 2:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak View Post
    is that really what putting your hands over your ears means in india?

ALSO, a 15 year old kid like that is already boned for life. leave it at that.
    well i dunno if it goes for all of india but it was lie that overthere.
    they sorta rub their earlobes and over their ears.
    but to a westener it looks like: nanana cant hear you!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 4:16pm

Style: Boxing, Rowing Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninnong View Post
    Yeah, but the kids who are bratty are the ones who have parents (usually single mom) that let them do whatever they want. They naturally side with their kids because god forbid their kid is angry at them. The other times this happens is when the kid tells the story first. If the parent doesn't spend much time with the kid in question, they'll take the kid's side. Until the teacher tells them the whole story and the parent realizes their kid is a liar and a crybaby.
    That kind of depends. If the parent isn't minded to spend much time with their child, how likely is it that they'll sympathise when said child comes whining about something-or-other-that-happened-in-school-today? They might feel partly responsible for their child's behaviour (don't spend much time with them, should be a better role model, etc) but surely this wouldn't cause the parent to challenge the teacher. In fact, I'd argue it'd cause them to do the opposite.

Single parents can obviously be forgiven for not spending every hour of every day with their children. But their absence is born of necessity (they need to work hard, right?) rather than of apathy. If I were a single parent, and I worked my backside off all day to give my kid a decent upbringing (kudos to those that do) I wouldn't tolerate them acting bratty or spoilt. I know precisely zilch about parenting, but that seems fairly logical to me.

I realise that imbecilic parents, who think that their child/ren can do no wrong, exist. But from what I've seen, these are pretty rare. Most parents are savvy enough to realise that if their kid comes in shouting, screaming and gushing crocodile tears, then they've done something wrong and are just looking for sympathy.

My mum works with kids, and she bollocks the hell outta them if they step out of line. They go crying to their parents, who tell them (in as many words) to stop whinging an get lost.

Stu xD

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy **** 15? At that age I was kickboxing and people were getting dropped left and right, yet nobody complained. I can't really imagine somebody of that age acting like that.

The 9 year old kids at my Ju Jitsu club get hurt sparring, and they only cry for like 3 minutes before going back to normal.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adouglasmhor View Post
    Do you have a copy of the pictures you could use for a caption competition?
    God I wish. If I ever see that woman again, I'll be sure to see if she kept a copy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 4:52pm

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the opposit side I was at a tourny and saw this yellow belt couldnt have been much older than 11 compete against a taller green belt no matter how many times she got knocked down she kept on getting back up her face was covered in bruises IMHO they should have stopped the match I was really impressed by her guts she made the green belt go to the final round.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my FAVORITE parent of all times had to be the father (also TKD black belt) of an 8 year old boy. this kid knew more techniques than his classmates because he practiced with dad at home, and sometimes committed classroom shittery of the 3rd degree.

the first time he did it, he was playing with a stray hair that had fallen on the floor from a girl next to him who had waist length hair. i was discussing how to do a proper round kick and when i turned to face his side of the class i saw him fucking around. i asked him "what's so important on the floor that you can't pay attention?"

he said, "i dunno"

i responded "well, you'll have plenty of time to figure it out while your doing 20 pushups for me"

his dad was in the classroom at the time, and after class came up and shook my hand, thanking me for not being soft on his misbehaving boy. i offered him a job on the spot.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 5:00pm

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it me or is it mostly mothers who take offence to they're kid being disciplined in class as if the sun shines out of their arse?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 5:18pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu-Jitsu View Post
    Its pretty absurd really. I mean, if a school teacher reprimands a student for being disruptive or disrespectful or whatever, and said student goes whining to their parents, nine times out of ten their parents will (quite rightly) side with the authority figure (what with them being professional and all).
    You almost never hear of parents complaining about their children recieving detention or whatever.
    Why should MA training for minors be any different? The need for discipline still remains.

Stu xD
    Hellz no. Nowadays the parents side with their little spunkbreed. A mate of mine was a teacher 9as in school system, not MA)in London for a few years. She got so fed up with kids getting to what they wanted she quit and moved to Devon. Said she'd reprimand a kid, parent would accuse her of racism and headmaster would side with parent to avoid scandal/lawsuit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 5:32pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by White Kimbo View Post
    yep, my classes are 6 bucks a go. i work for young champions of america.
    Thats totally the group i work for, but my classes are $7 a night =p.

And when parents come to me about a child's issue in class, I will be straight up and tell them it is my class to run as I see fit. I will tell them if they think their child needs some kind of special accommodation I will do my best to within reason work with them, but discipline and sparring with contact are non negotiable.

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 5:37pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tkd panda View Post
    I hade a similar problem at a local competition my little bro didnt have anyone to compete against so instead of winning a worthless gold medal by default he asked to be placed in the red belt categorie.

he did really well in his semi final match he was up against this lad that hade been acting cocky untill my brother pasted the floor with him afterwards the red belts parents were slagging my brother off calling him a thug I was really proud of my brother so I told them their boy should man up and act like a red belt and to stop whining.This is a pic of the match.
    That's a weird URL for the image.

I'd love a straw poll, of TKD instructors, about the percentages of hardcore students, vs casual students, vs fuckups.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast