Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 9:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As soon as I read the thread title I knew what art the OP did!

P.S. 15?!
    Last edited by maofas; 4/21/2010 9:45am at .

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 9:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    White Kimbo: Nice to see that those kinds of attitudes transcend cultures and countries :)
    my personal favorite thing i ever said to a gold bricking student was at my monday night class, which actually is a great class full of hard working and dedicated kids.

a child was having an off night and he just couldn't get his footwork together. i asked him what his problem was and how did he want me to correct said problem.

he started crying out of frustration (the kid was 12).

i looked at his mom, she nodded at me, i looked back at him and said, "YOU LITTLE GIRL SCOUT, YOU'RE GONNA COME INTO MY CLASS AND START CRYING OVER NOTHING? YOU'RE GONNA WASTE YOUR MOM'S MONEY LIKE THAT? GET OFF MY FLOOR UNTIL YOU CALM DOWN! AND IF YOU SIT OUT THE WHOLE CLASS, YOU OWE YOUR MOM HER SIX DOLLAR CLASS FEE! YOU WANNA GO MINE SOME COAL TO PAY HER BACK??? NO??? GOOD, GO GET SOME WATER AND GET BACK HERE AND GET TO WORK!"

the kid came back and put his work in without problems, except for singing "i've been working in the coal mine" (to the tune of i've been working on the rail road) during his kata.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 10:06am

Style: Aiki Jujitsu, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by White Kimbo View Post
    my personal favorite thing i ever said to a gold bricking student was at my monday night class, which actually is a great class full of hard working and dedicated kids.

a child was having an off night and he just couldn't get his footwork together. i asked him what his problem was and how did he want me to correct said problem.

he started crying out of frustration (the kid was 12).

i looked at his mom, she nodded at me, i looked back at him and said, "YOU LITTLE GIRL SCOUT, YOU'RE GONNA COME INTO MY CLASS AND START CRYING OVER NOTHING? YOU'RE GONNA WASTE YOUR MOM'S MONEY LIKE THAT? GET OFF MY FLOOR UNTIL YOU CALM DOWN! AND IF YOU SIT OUT THE WHOLE CLASS, YOU OWE YOUR MOM HER SIX DOLLAR CLASS FEE! YOU WANNA GO MINE SOME COAL TO PAY HER BACK??? NO??? GOOD, GO GET SOME WATER AND GET BACK HERE AND GET TO WORK!"

the kid came back and put his work in without problems, except for singing "i've been working in the coal mine" (to the tune of i've been working on the rail road) during his kata.
    You're classes are 6 dollars?... where do you teach again?

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninnong View Post
    You're classes are 6 dollars?... where do you teach again?
    yep, my classes are 6 bucks a go. i work for young champions of america.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 11:13am

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for any tips and advice offered. Omega, dude I'd LOVE to do something like that. Whilst I can't outright say "You fucking little *****." I find other..'polite' ways of telling some of my kids they are in fact pussies. Oh yeah and the girl he sparred against is 12 years old.....

White Kimbo, nice story LOL!

And to provide a little background. The reason I was particularly patient and "kind" to this kid is there was another incident in a different class where I kicked a kid out and his mother had a titty attack.

This class was for green belts all the way to red belt. So once I began teaching I started having problems with this one blue belt and his twin brother. The younger twin is the one whom primarily acts up. When it got too much I said "Is this the martial arts or is it tea time? Stop acting that way or get out my class. Your choice." Whole class got quiet and he shut the **** up...for a while.

Last part of the class I did pad techniques. After doing punches I switched to kick combinations. He was goofing off and making silly faces. I told him give me 20 knuckle push ups. Second time he acted up I told him get into push up position and hold it until I say so. This is what transpired.

"No that is not a push up position. Stop bending your back! Keep it straight! I said hold it until I said stop!".

The final time he mumbled something and rolled his eyes. I stopped the class.

"So now you're back talking after I repeatedly warned you? Know what get out my class. You want to act like a 3 year old little baby then that is how you will be treated."

He hesitated before finally walking away crying and whining. I then looked at the rest of the class. "Anyone else want to act that way?"

Continued class with no issues. Next day mother comes in accusing me of being mean and unfair. I simply said "Well how would you prefer for me to discipline your son's rude and disrespectful behavior?" She got quiet and didn't say another word.

Point is that after this kid I decided if I was going to reprimand a kid in class I had to try and do it....in good taste I suppose. However from the comments here I suppose it wouldn't hurt if I went to my old way of doing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 12:12pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These stories sound identical to the ones I hear from teachers in our school systems. Nothing, no matter what, is ever the kid's fault and somehow a teacher is always singling them out or being "mean". The reason your kid is failing couldn't be that he doesn't do his work or acts like a jagoff in class...no, couldn't be....there MUST be some other explanation.

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 12:31pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iainkelt View Post
    These stories sound identical to the ones I hear from teachers in our school systems. Nothing, no matter what, is ever the kid's fault and somehow a teacher is always singling them out or being "mean". The reason your kid is failing couldn't be that he doesn't do his work or acts like a jagoff in class...no, couldn't be....there MUST be some other explanation.
    Personal responsibility. The true dying art in this world. I always prefered horse, bow and cat stance for punishment instead of push ups.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 12:35pm

Style: Boxing, Rowing Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iainkelt View Post
    Its pretty absurd really. I mean, if a school teacher reprimands a student for being disruptive or disrespectful or whatever, and said student goes whining to their parents, nine times out of ten their parents will (quite rightly) side with the authority figure (what with them being professional and all).
    You almost never hear of parents complaining about their children recieving detention or whatever.
    Why should MA training for minors be any different? The need for discipline still remains.

Stu xD

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 1:36pm

Style: Aiki Jujitsu, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu-Jitsu View Post
    Its pretty absurd really. I mean, if a school teacher reprimands a student for being disruptive or disrespectful or whatever, and said student goes whining to their parents, nine times out of ten their parents will (quite rightly) side with the authority figure (what with them being professional and all).
    You almost never hear of parents complaining about their children recieving detention or whatever.
    Why should MA training for minors be any different? The need for discipline still remains.

Stu xD
    Yeah, but the kids who are bratty are the ones who have parents (usually single mom) that let them do whatever they want. They naturally side with their kids because god forbid their kid is angry at them. The other times this happens is when the kid tells the story first. If the parent doesn't spend much time with the kid in question, they'll take the kid's side. Until the teacher tells them the whole story and the parent realizes their kid is a liar and a crybaby.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 1:39pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard619 View Post
    And to provide a little background. The reason I was particularly patient and "kind" to this kid is there was another incident in a different class where I kicked a kid out and his mother had a titty attack.
    Pics? I'm having a hard time visualizing this as a bad thing.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast