Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 12:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Submission Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice. Name calling. The great forum equalizer. I'm speaking from over 17 years of experience as a martial artist, fighter, and instructor. Kata is not something that I think is worth spending too much time on. Yes, it "contains the movements and techniques of the art" and all that. Not my cup of tea. Spend an hour on kata and an hour rolling with a partner and then tell me what taught you more. Personally, I'm not a huge fan. Always seemed that kata was what the old, fat guys and kids did to make themselves feel important in their freshly starched gis. I'm stealing this from a previous post, but I don't think martial arts is about doing a kata in a stars and stripes hakama with neon kamas to the theme from Mortal Kombat on ESPN (The Ocho) at 4:00 AM in the morning. If you want to do kata, then God bless you. Hope you enjoy it. It's not for me, but, I did spend 4 years training in Bujinkan Taijutsu, so I'm the last person to cast any stones.

As far as Martin Clarke; no, I am not on his website, nor do I use ANY of his assorted rankings or organizations in connection with my school. I simply think that if a Sambist of his ability and caliber will take the time to offer coaching and critique to me, then I'm all for it. (At least until we convince sambosteve to open that new Sambo school of his out here in East Jesus, MO). I say take advantage of any resources that are out there, just don't be a douchebag about it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 12:56am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnacondaMMA View Post
    Nice. Name calling. The great forum equalizer. I'm speaking from over 17 years of experience as a martial artist, fighter, and instructor. Kata is not something that I think is worth spending too much time on. Yes, it "contains the movements and techniques of the art" and all that. Not my cup of tea. Spend an hour on kata and an hour rolling with a partner and then tell me what taught you more. Personally, I'm not a huge fan. Always seemed that kata was what the old, fat guys and kids did to make themselves feel important in their freshly starched gis. I'm stealing this from a previous post, but I don't think martial arts is about doing a kata in a stars and stripes hakama with neon kamas to the theme from Mortal Kombat on ESPN (The Ocho) at 4:00 AM in the morning. If you want to do kata, then God bless you. Hope you enjoy it. It's not for me, but, I did spend 4 years training in Bujinkan Taijutsu, so I'm the last person to cast any stones.
    If it's not for you simply say it, you don't have to be an idiot about it. That's not name calling that's letting you know that you're an idiot; and I quote "I have" in reference that "kata" has helped me win in a fight. By definition it works. Yet you go around saying "I'll stick with what works." I'm coming from 31 years of experience. Are we done with the penis measuring kid?

You and I obviously have two different definitions of kata. That's not what this thread is about. When you come back from the hospital maybe I'll enlighten you a bit more.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 1:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Submission Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Classy. You truly embody the very essence of Budo.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 1:05am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Compared to you I'm Miyamoto Musashi. Congratulations, you're officially retarded.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 1:44am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...and April introduces our newest arguments of the new posters bunkai(?) and Budo.

I'm tempted to cull this to one of are stupid Kata threads.Are their better ways to train? Yes. Is Kata Bullshido? No.

We are in semantics land. I have made things work from Kata as well. Wait, before you enter further debate, no one said anything about what was more effective, better or worse.

Omega said it worked. You decided, after saying you weren't, to mix two points of better vs what works.

I'm speaking from over 17 years of experience as a martial artist, fighter, and instructor. Kata is not something that I think is worth spending too much time on. Yes, it "contains the movements and techniques of the art" and all that. Not my cup of tea. Spend an hour on kata and an hour rolling with a partner and then tell me what taught you more. Personally, I'm not a huge fan.
    All of this has nothing to do with Kata working or not. This is how you feel about Kata not about kata not working.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 5:29am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only know one Kata; It goes Jab-Cross-Hook-Uppercut. Works OK on the street.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 4/20/2010 5:42am at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 11:28am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not that I need any back up but I feel like having fun:

Idiot:
    A person who is foolish or stupid
    Stupid:
    1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
    2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.

Now let's examine the evidence presented to us. You made this comment on how you "have never won a fight, tournament, competition, or barroom brawl with kata." I have "won" all the above with "kata". Then you make the off hand remark "I will. Enjoy your kata, I'll stick to the stuff that works."

*Waits for pin to drop

Okay that's fair but you're going to have to assume I have my students do this too (You did see my instructor tag right?). Now I have one of my blackbelts already posting on this thread he could tell you how our guys do with "kata" in grappling competition.

Here's a video, at 1:08 she does the movement straight out of one our "katas"
    YouTube- animlmthr_TuffLove_2010_match 1
    I have an MMA fighter that fought in January that pulled off a sequence of moves out of one of our "katas".

Then you go into this little epenis rant about how you have 17 years of martial arts experience fighting etc.

*Looks at tags...looks back at AnacondaMMA.

I've been teaching for 21 years now. I've trained and coach fighters all the way up to professional. This is the stuff I do for a living. Then you want to throw the Budo spirit thing at me? Talk about hypocritical.

Now, by definition, if this isn't you being foolish, obtuse and essentially slow on the uptake (retarded), then by all mean what would you call it? Now at this point you should just admit that you were being an idiot. Anything else is just ego.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 11:45am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post

Okay that's fair but you're going to have to assume I have my students do this too (You did see my instructor tag right?). Now I have one of my blackbelts already posting on this thread he could tell you how our guys do with "kata" in grappling competition.

Here's a video, at 1:08 she does the movement straight out of one our "katas"
    YouTube- animlmthr_TuffLove_2010_match 1
    I have an MMA fighter that fought in January that pulled off a sequence of moves out of one of our "katas".

Omega, in all fairness, we would need to see the kata to compare to the video. No way for us to know it came from a kata or not.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 12:03pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a problem....let me look. (Thread split?)

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 12:11pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Not a problem....let me look. (Thread split?)
    Yes, the kata thing has been a derail. New thread on practical applications of Kata?
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast