Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 12:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

World Martial Arts Association (WMAA)

I dont know to much about the organization. As far as I can tell they practice Chung Do Kwan, a traditional form of TaeKwonDo that is very similar to Shotokan Karate. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the organization and their schools?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 2:50pm

Style: Kendo & Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I can gather from the about us section on the site, http://www.wmaa.com/Home_Page.php, it is Mike Dealy's organization. Aside from the claim that he went to Antarctica and performed his form in just his dobok on a glacier (hope he wore shoes), he is also ninth dan, though it does not say who promoted him.

So far as I know, CDK is part of the Kukkiwon. According to this site (looks like a WMAA school), http://www.oneworldtaekwondo.com/html/history.html, he trained under a GM Son. It never mentions who awarded him a gudan, but it does say that he founded the organization in the early nineties. Looks like a regional organization made up of Mr. Dealy and his schools that grew quite a bit, as it apparently has chapters in New York, California, Texas, Florida, New Jersey, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, and Pennsylvania.

No idea what the quality is like and I have no first hand familiarity with Michael Dealy.

Daniel

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 4:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info, it was a big help.
    I was looking for more first hand information, that could tell me more about the style they practice and the format they practice in. I have watched a couple of Youtube videos that show Chung Do Kwan practitioners, and it is defiantly not anything like WTF or ITF. It looks closer to Karate. But this still doesn't tell me anything about the WMAA itself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 9:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you say that it was not anything like WTF, do you mean Kukkiwon taekwondo or the sport that has olympic inclusion?

CDK is part of the Kukkiwon, though I do not know if Palgwe or Taegeuk forms (or both) are used in CDK schools.

I suppose that it is also possible for Dealy's GM to have continued to use his Kwan name but not sign on with the Kukkiwon, though there are likely people here who can better answer that.

Wish I had first hand info for you. Hopefully someone here has first hand familiarity.

Daniel

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 12:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I talked to someone that was more involved with the club. They said it was the Pyong form set, instead of the Palgwe or Taegeuk forms. They do not practice Olympic style sparing, looks more like a Karate style sparing. Its also light to no contact. The excuse is that they said it is a hard style of martial arts and if practiced with full contact could potentially injure someone.

From some further research I found that GM Son was appointed president of Chung do Kwan after GM Lee in the Late 50's. After disagreements GM Son moved to the U.S. and opened his own school based in NYC.

I was hoping someone else with first hand knowledge would know about his schools. The guy I talked to didn't know any other martial art. I was hoping for more of an unbiased opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 12:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pyung ahn forms? Those are used in Tangsudo and, I believe, some Okinawan karate, and they are the same as the Heian forms used in Shotokan.

Essentially, Son sounds like a CDK guy that didn't want to go Kukkiwon. The non-WTF sparring makes it more interesting.

Daniel

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2010 7:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There may be a number of World Martial Arts Associations. Here is one which is headquartered in Detroit by the deceased former editor of TKD Times, GM Shim, Sang Kyu:

http://www.worldmartialartsassociati...Home_Page.html

This group used to advertise a lot during the 80s in TKD Times.

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 7:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Daniel had the right one.
    I found out that they have a youtube channel.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/THEWMAAChannel
    I want to know what real Chung Do Kwan practitioners think.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 9:55am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Student4Ever View Post
    I have watched a couple of Youtube videos that show Chung Do Kwan practitioners, and it is defiantly not anything like WTF or ITF. It looks closer to Karate. But this still doesn't tell me anything about the WMAA itself.
    The WTF is not a style of Taekwondo. It is a federation supporting thousands of dojang around the world, many with very different curriculum. The WTF is linked with Gukgi Taegwondo, the official style of Taegwondo of South Korea, and a result of the Gwan Unfication period.

The actual Cheongdogwan itself is a member of the Gukgiwon and teaches the Gukgi Taegwondo curriculum. The WMAA is a remnant from the original Cheongdogwan, and thus teaches the original Cheongdogwan Dangsudo/Taegwondo curriculum, which was derivied Shotokan Karatedo. Thus, students learn the Pyeongan forms, which are translations of the Heian kata of Shotokan.

The WMAA thus teaches Cheongdogwan-derived material, but they are not the actual Cheongdogwan.

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 11:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the information. Maybe I need to rephrase the question. Since they practice the Pyong Ahh forms, do they do them well? I am asking people who also still practice and use these traditional forms on a regular basis. I couldn't care less about organization affiliation, or if they practice "real chungdokwan" or not, it doesn't matter.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast