All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 3:45am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    My mistake. Isn't your belt purple in the video, though?
    In a judo tournament one guy wears a blue belt to help tell the corners apart. Sometimes they leave their rank belt on and sometimes they don't.

Sometimes they also change one corner into a blue top or a full blue gi

and sometimes the extra color is red instead of blue, (more traditional IIRC) but that is never used for a gi
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 3:49am

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    It's not that I won. It's that I won doing something I already know how to do. Beating judo green belts at ground work isn't a challenge for me after 7 years of BJJ.
    If it's any consolation, it looks like your osaekomi could use some work. You're still holding the positions BJJ style, which is why he twisted out twice.

Toss some variety in there. Try to imitate Kashiwazaki even moreso.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 2:31pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is really interesting to me because I recently did a judo tournament where I deliberately limited myself from using sacrifice throws. Wanted to really test my judo. Well, I sucked miserably and got thrown for wazari multiple times and ippon a couple. My question to you is - should I just give in and build a game around sacrifice throws? I really want to be that big o goshi guy, but the ground is clearly my advantage.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 3:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    In a judo tournament one guy wears a blue belt to help tell the corners apart. Sometimes they leave their rank belt on and sometimes they don't.

Sometimes they also change one corner into a blue top or a full blue gi

and sometimes the extra color is red instead of blue, (more traditional IIRC) but that is never used for a gi
    at the promotionals for my yudanshakai, they use the red belt, but for some reason that i can't fathom, they still refer to the player in the red belt as the "blue player."

are they being confusing on purpose?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    at the promotionals for my yudanshakai, they use the red belt, but for some reason that i can't fathom, they still refer to the player in the red belt as the "blue player."

are they being confusing on purpose?
    They are "breaking the rules."

The IJF mandate for having a blue and a white player was years ago. By now every player is to have two uniforms, one white and one blue. Clearly this is not being enforced, but it is the rule.

No idea why they are using the red belt.

I will say that scoring errors drop big time when you use the white gi/blue gi system. Some hard core Japanese types have major problems with the blue gi, and refuse to wear it.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 10:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The blue gi is optional at local and regional tournaments. The tournament director can require them, but most won't .

If you go to nationals, a ladder tournament, or other point tournament in the US at least, you will need two judogi, one blue, one white.

Other than that, nobody rush out and buy two judogi for competing.

Ben

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 10:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpDawg View Post
    This is really interesting to me because I recently did a judo tournament where I deliberately limited myself from using sacrifice throws. Wanted to really test my judo. Well, I sucked miserably and got thrown for wazari multiple times and ippon a couple. My question to you is - should I just give in and build a game around sacrifice throws? I really want to be that big o goshi guy, but the ground is clearly my advantage.
    Stop practicing sutemi waza and focus on other throws. That would help.

Ben

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 10:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Is there not a penalty in Judo for just falling down on your back ineffectively? The second time you tried that sacrifice throw it looked like it didn't work out and you just sort of splatted. Is that not scored against you? Also, I thought pinning was a win condition in Judo, you had the guy totally pinned under mount a couple of times, is that not a win for you right there?
    He made a legit attack, so it is not a penalty. He clearly was intending to throw, so it was not a false attack.

Ben

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 10:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Yep. Not an excuse for my lazy performance though.

I did get my yonkyu, but I was really hoping for sankyu. "Judo brown belt" would have been nice to add to my resume and I had five times the number of points necessary for the next belt.
    I'm going to be really honest with you here. No way should you be a sankyu at this point, based on that performance. OK for yonkyu, but marginal. You obviously know more ne waza from your bjj training, but your throwing needs to catch up closer to your ne waza.

Note that all this is just my opinion and standards, and is not a slam on you personally or SHUFU's standards.

Congrats on the promotion!

Ben
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123