221987 Bullies, 4105 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 37 of 37
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. AMF is offline
    AMF's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Dantes Inferno
    Posts
    770

    Posted On:
    4/21/2010 11:05pm


     Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    Out of curiosity is there any reason you are choosing a Mosin over any other bolt action?
    Not really, read and re-read Scrappers write up on it and decided it sounded good to use for big game out to longer distances.

    And I wanted a project gun.
  2. Cy Q. Faunce is offline
    Cy Q. Faunce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,577

    Posted On:
    4/21/2010 11:33pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    The Bad:
    The price of a name-brand 1911. It's ridiculous. While a wonderful weapon, it's still just a a full-size SA auto with an 8-round mag (most of the time). More practical guns go for 1/3 the price of most name-brand 1911's.
    I think the magazine capacity gripe is absolute bullshit, but I agree about the inordinate cost of the name-brand 1911's. Their workmanship pales in comparison to what was available in this model from the 1920's to the 1960's.

    I own a Sistema 1927 that rivals any modern custom gun for hand craftsmanship. $350 for the gun, $200 in modifications...and it outshoots Kimbers, Springfields, and all the rest.

    The .45 is a low-pressure cartridge, so older models in that chambering can be considered without prejudice. I would examine older 9mms, 7.63mm Mausers, Tokarevs, and the like with something that could detect metal fatigue, like a magnetic flux device or a CT scan.
  3. Mr. Machette is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,673

    Posted On:
    4/22/2010 11:52am

    Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMF View Post
    Thanks for all the info and you sold me cold on not altering the Mosin.

    I still want one just to shoot and for historical sake; but it will remain as is unless it is in poor shape and it becomes a safety issue to shoot it as is.

    I have a Weatherby 30-06 BTW, it has slain it's fair share of game and I will probably use it when I go hunt the bigger game.
    Nice! Enjoy it man!

    They can be found at Big 5 sporting goods pretty regularly.

    Check the serial numbers on the bolt and the receiver. If they match, you've got a good chance at having proper head space.

    Here's a website that will help you read all the arsenal stamps, and "decode" the rifles history. Some of these have been around!

    http://www.mosinnagant.net/

    There is the off chance that you might come across a Soviet sniper rifle that was rearsenaled into a standard 91-30 postwar. This was the fate of many of them. These will be drilled and tapped to except this particular scope mount: http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/pu-mosi...ews-set-1.html

    Kalinka can sell you the scope to go with it as well. The holes will be hidden by the rifle stock though. Ex-snipers can be identified by this Cyrillic "C N" marking:



    If you can find one of these, then you've got your scoped Mosin. And the real deal to boot! All you'll have to modify is the stock to make space for the scope mount, and invest in one of these:
    http://www.buymilitaria.com/mn_htm_f..._bolt_body.htm

    If you use the bolt head that came with the rifle, your head space will stay true, even with the new bolt body. (with extremely rare exception...)

    Props on the Weatherby too man. That's classy!
  4. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,823

    Posted On:
    4/25/2010 1:48pm


     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mister Machette, that was beautiful (this coming from a man who still mourns the burning of the Library of Alexandria).

    My own take on this theme is extremely short, as I'm not very experienced, but I couldn't resist chiming in.

    The Good:
    • Rock Island 1911s: I paid $395 for my NIB GI, not counting FFL transfer fee, and it's all I need. It is my own fault for not checking out GI sights prior to purchase, however, so I'm willing to go the expense of adding sights I can see. Damn, I'm tired of being reminded how much I need range time (I haven't fired this weapon in almost a year). They have a lifetime warranty, almost anything made by Armscor (the parent company of RIA) can be ordered by calling Ivan at the US offices in Pahrump, and the primary gunsmith (the world famous Arnel) is available for custom builds.
    • Rossi Revolvers: Scrapper reviewed one of these in his Budget Gun series, and my father has one. It was cheap, excluding the dealer's markup my father should've known to avoid (a look at the rest of the store's inventory gives a clue regarding the percentage), and it's very smooth all the way around. I can decock that thing without having to think about it, whereas my 1911 shoots smooth and I have nightmares about decocking it.


    The Bad:
    • The sound of someone firing .44 Magnum two stalls over (indoor range). I have even more reason to go back to the range now that I have my own hearing protection (NRR 30db).


    The Overrated:
    • Glocks: I grant you that they're reliable, but that's about all I grant you. I hate the grip, I hate the weight (I prefer heavy to light), I hate the trigger pull (I almost popped a boner the first time I fired a 1911, which was years after I fired a GLOCK 19), I hate the lack of a manual safety, and I hated the way the slide was released every time I inserted a magazine. Other than that, I hate the way Glock refuses to change. The interchangeable backstraps seem to be, if anything, a response to Beretta's PX4 (I think the 90-TWO has the feature as well). If a new generation of Glocks get an "A1-style" overhaul, I'll have more respect for the company. Until then, their "perfection" slogan is worth less to me than Scheisse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

    What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

    That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.
  5. Scrapper is online now
    Scrapper's Avatar

    Fear and bullets.

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dayville, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    4,286

    Posted On:
    4/26/2010 2:20pm

    staff
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually...AMF reviewed the Rossi...
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

    --Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
  6. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,823

    Posted On:
    4/26/2010 3:51pm


     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Actually...AMF reviewed the Rossi...
    Damn, I hate finding out that I rode the wrong nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

    What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

    That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.
  7. AMF is offline
    AMF's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Dantes Inferno
    Posts
    770

    Posted On:
    4/26/2010 10:36pm


     Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All is well, the Gods of gun powder and Hoppes #9 forgive you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.