Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 8:34am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

To fat to fight? HTFU!

I saw this in a news article (the article's in Hebrew, which is why I didn't link to it, if somebody wants the link, ask for it).

Anyway, according to the story, it's a report stating that obesity among teenagers is growing to the point where it could seriously hurt recruitment for the military.

From the report:
    Being overweight or obese turns out to be the leading medical reason why applicants fail to qualify for military service. Today, otherwise excellent recruit prospects, some of them with generations of sterling military service in their family history, are being turned away because they are just too overweight.
    Guys, that's some serious ****, and this being HTFU month, it felt fitting to post it here.
    :phil2:

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 8:46am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, they're even redoing Army basic training to address this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 8:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's good I guess.
    I didn't read the whole report, but from what I did, they really want school cafeterias to start serving healthier foods, and to help create better eating habits from an early age.
    which might not be a bad idea, but I'm not sure you want that done via legislation, do you?
    I don't know.
    Last edited by Gidi; 4/21/2010 8:50am at . Reason: needed editing

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 12:22pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    That's good I guess.
    I didn't read the whole report, but from what I did, they really want school cafeterias to start serving healthier foods, and to help create better eating habits from an early age.
    which might not be a bad idea, but I'm not sure you want that done via legislation, do you?
    I don't know.
    Thats the double edge sword isnt it? On the one hand more and more of our kids are fat and unhealthy. This is invariably due to parents who fail to raise their kids in a healthy lifestyle. We do not want the government getting into out business but then the way things are going our kids are only getting fatter and fatter. Its a choice between parents stepping up or the government stepping in. I'd really like to see the parents step up.

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 12:28pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would actually like to see somone roll into Maccas and have the chick behind the counter say. "you have to do 50 pushups before you get a burger fatty"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 1:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I would actually like to see somone roll into Maccas and have the chick behind the counter say. "you have to do 50 pushups before you get a burger fatty"
    Ha, brilliant.

Customer: yeah, I'd like a quadruple quarter-pounder with everything on it and extra fat.
    Counter chick: certainly, that would be 4.99 and 50 pushups, there you go sir.

On the other subject, it is obviously preferable that the parents step up I would imagine, but it seems hard since they grew up in the same fat culture, and are often quite huge themselves.

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 3:37pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The more robotized the military gets, the more leeway the requirements will have to be. Does it matter if the best drone pilot has a few extra pounds?

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 3:41pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the schools are required to serve meals, it HAS to be legislated in some form anyway. The schools can't just put out cotton candy and gummy bears, right? I don't know them but there must be rules - why not make the rules which school cafeterias adhere to um...more healthy ones?
    That's not to say that the kids are required to eat whatever's offerred, just that what's offerred isn't contributing to obesity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 3:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA View Post
    The more robotized the military gets, the more leeway the requirements will have to be. Does it matter if the best drone pilot has a few extra pounds?
    What if he can't fit through the door to the van where the drone is operated? Or he has a heart attack when he gets excited after actually using said drone in a fight?

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school cafeterias serve extremely unhealthy high fructose corn syrup refined carbo crap precisely because there isn't strong legislation as to the nutritional requirements they must serve kids. Now it's really coming to bite the country in the ass.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast