Posted On:
    4/19/2010 8:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Edwin Valero WBC Lightweight Champion Kills Himself

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010...s-himself-wife

Allegedly killed his wife, then killed himself by hanging himself in his cell with his own clothes.

Talented boxer, but obviously messed up... maybe because of his brain injury?
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or, say, alcohol, drugs, and a violent temper?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 9:05am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    or, say, alcohol, drugs, and a violent temper?
    Could be :-)

I only really remember him because he was mentioned as a possible opponent for Ricky Hatton a year or so ago, and a pundit (I forget who) mentioned he'd been reported to have changed markedly after his serious head injury.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Benoit Syndrome?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 10:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Motorcycle wreck. Steel plate in his skull. Don't know how you keep getting cleared medically after that.

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 11:32am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Apple View Post
    Motorcycle wreck. Steel plate in his skull. Don't know how you keep getting cleared medically after that.
    He turned pro after the injury, where he amassed a record of 27-0 with 27 knockouts, 19 in the first round. I'd have been more worried about his opponents.

Anyway, traumatic brain injuries can have a horrifying effect on an individual:

http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/re...tbi/index.html

This is not to say Valero isn't a at fault. His poor wife and family must have been through hell for a long time. He's beaten family members too; there was definitely something wrong with him and they should've had him sectioned.

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 7:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010...s-himself-wife

Allegedly killed his wife, then killed himself by hanging himself in his cell with his own clothes.

Talented boxer, but obviously messed up... maybe because of his brain injury?
    Thanks for posting, I read it on the BBC and it linked to EastCoastBoxing (I think) in Noo Yawk and I considered posting but went back to work.

He had been featured a number of times in UK weekly "Boxing News" and was conspicuous by the Venezuela flag tattooed across his Chest. He was one to watch, figuratively speaking, as he never actually was shown in the UK - nor on Eurosport unless I missed it.

A couple of weeks ago, Barry McGuigan wrote an item in his Daily Mirror column informing that Valerio had had a serious Head Injury in his time and should immediately Retire. I was puzzled and curious of this, as it was the first time I'd read of an injury - I think Brain Haemorrhage was mentiond - and I wanted to see video of his all-action style.

That apart, this story is quite dreadful and the murder of his wife is appalling. Brain injury may well be part of the explanation and it also begs the question of his domestic personality and if he was ever violent outside of the Ring. I'm going to guess, "Yes".

I could be wrong but I found myself wondering of the Texas ClockTower sniper in the early 1960s, (USMC sniper), who was found to have Brain injury at this Autopsy and so might have contributed to his shocking and extraordinary behaviour. :eusa_thin

OTOH, the early 20th C World MW Champ Billy Papke (who sucker punched Stanley Ketchel) also murdered his wife and committed suicide, so I suppose it's not unique.

Anyway, this will be terrible news for his wife's family. Let's be clear, she's the real victim however it pans out.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 4/20/2010 7:06am at . Reason: amend "Paple" to read "Papke"

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 8:10am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    He was one to watch, figuratively speaking, as he never actually was shown in the UK - nor on Eurosport unless I missed it.
    I'm pretty sure he (or more likely, his publicist/management) tried to get in somewhere between Hatton and Pacquiao some time before their fight. I'm sure it was on Radio 5 Live that he was mentioned, briefly, but it could have been Talksport.
    He was also touted as a potential opponent for Amir Khan (at lightweight) by Freddie Roach who clearly had faith in Amir's chin :-)

The Guardian also mentions Valero in their excellent boxing section a few times, this being the most recent about boxing (as opposed to his arrests) http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...kevin-mitchell

and I wanted to see video of his all-action style.
    Youtube has a fair few of his fights... worth a look.

Anyway, this will be terrible news for his wife's family. Let's be clear, she's the real victim however it pans out.
    Agreed 100%.

Gandhi

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 8:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw all this, first the arrest, then the death.
    Just absolutely nuts.

This pretty much all went down around the same time HBO's Real Sports is airing an hour-long episode on the mysterious deaths last year, all within a one-months span, of Alexis Arguello, Arturo Gotti and Vernon Forrest.

All very surreal.

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 6:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he (or more likely, his publicist/management) tried to get in somewhere between Hatton and Pacquiao some time before their fight. I'm sure it was on Radio 5 Live that he was mentioned, briefly, but it could have been Talksport.
    He was also touted as a potential opponent for Amir Khan (at lightweight) by Freddie Roach who clearly had faith in Amir's chin :-)

The Guardian also mentions Valero in their excellent boxing section a few times, this being the most recent about boxing (as opposed to his arrests) http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...kevin-mitchell

Youtube has a fair few of his fights... worth a look.

Agreed 100%.
    Sochin

Thanks for this and the link. I like usually read Kevin Mitchell's column, I just didn't realise he did a Blog. Or if I did, it didn't register with my Brain. Ha, ha.

I wrote an Email to correct an item in his Observer article a couple of years ago, and (unbelievably, it was published as Letter of the Week). I've read his "Jacob's Beach" and I've got his "War Baby" lined up at home.

Hmm, youtube, I'll have to get around to that sometime.

I'll have a read of "Boxing News" on Friday and see if they can add anything to the Valerio tragedy.

Thanks again.

Cheers