Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DepGW View Post
    The thing I disagreed with, was the fact that each of the defenders were trying to draw there firearm, and then grip it with both hands, while squared up to the target. Why?

Why not draw the firearm, and shoot one handed? If you do this, you can keep your feet pointed in the direction you want to go, and keep yourself more mobile.
    I found that odd too. I would think a "speed rock" would be a much better idea.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 6:15pm

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a typical reason knife defenses come under scrutiny is because when you train them and follow up with attacks. You do not get hit with the attacks. Also, the attacker in a drill knows what is going to happen.

I am not saying it is really hard though cause it sure is.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/29/2010 1:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    a typical reason knife defenses come under scrutiny is because when you train them and follow up with attacks. You do not get hit with the attacks. Also, the attacker in a drill knows what is going to happen.

I am not saying it is really hard though cause it sure is.

I think that before anyone weighs in on the subject of knife defenses, it should be established they actually know what the hell they are talking about.

English and Grammar help, as well.

I found this video to be pretty interesting. I wish I knew more about gun and knife defenses. Fooling around with friends, I can usually disarm, but I tend to get cut. Alot.

I don't even wanna talk about how terrible my gun defense is. (note: there are videos on youtube)

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/01/2010 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing I disagreed with, was the fact that each of the defenders were trying to draw there firearm, and then grip it with both hands, while squared up to the target. Why?
    The smart-ass, honest, but unhelpful answer is that they're doing what they've trained to do. They've trained to shoot a target at least 7 yards away, most likely, and if they haven't trained they're imitating what they've seen in movies and television. If they've been trained as police, they've likely spent most of their time drawing the gun, bringing it to either an isosceles or Weaver stance (whichever their trainer was indoctrinated to use himself, and it's very unlikely that other options or hybrids were allowed) and firing a prescribed number of shots between two and a full magazine before reholstering.

This may be the first time they've ever actually tried to solve this problem, so the first thing they're going to try to do is to apply the training they already have. Having that method fail to solve this problem seems bad, but it's part of the learning process.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2010 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I have to post a video to prove my credibility on this fourm? Ok thanks I'll remember that

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2010 6:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    So I have to post a video to prove my credibility on this fourm? Ok thanks I'll remember that
    No video doesn't necessarily equal credibility. Video and knowing what you are doing lends credibility.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/01/2010 6:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @NoGroinNoKrav How long has been training Krav Maga? Where?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2010 8:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training for about a year and a half here

http://www.atlantickravmaga.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2010 9:49am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't looked at this thread in a bit but re the questions of why they do the gun work the way they do, here is a bit about Itay Gil (the instructor doing the techniques in the video) that I found on the www.protect-usa.com website.

-------------------
    Mr. Itay Gil
    President & Founder

Protect is under the leadership and direction of Itay Gil, who brings with him a lifelong career in security.

Mr. Gil is an IDF Captain and served in Israel's special forces paratroops brigade. After completing his compulsory service, he was chosen to join Israel's elite counter-terror and hostage rescue commando unit, "Yamam", where he became a career combatant. In the Yamam, Mr. Gil participated in as many as three missions each day over the course of ten years.

Mr. Gil has adapted his 33-years of hand to hand and Krav Maga actual combat study to meet the needs of the real-life situations he faced in his fourteen years of active duty combat experience. Consequently, Mr. Gil became the chief close-quarter combat instructor for the unit.

From 1992-1997 Mr. Gil was the executive director of all training programs for the Israel Border Police as well as the undercover police intelligence unit. During this period, he directed training programs for 5000 policemen and security personnel each year.

Mr. Gil continues to serve in the IDF reserves where he is Captain and senior combat instructor and strategic mission planner for an elite undercover counter-terrorism team.
    ------------------

In all fairness I would say that these guys know their stuff and have used everything that they teach in real combat situations. The video could be from a training session with a bodyguard company - it might only be part of a series of drills that ramp up as you progress through the various aspects of what you are supposed to do (eg create enough distance to draw the weapon, then keep that distance while the attacker tries a do or die move) - who knows, it's always hard to tell from a single video but one thing is for sure, the instructors have real world combat experience behind them (not necessarily the guys taking the course in the video).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12