Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 10:04pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to point out that when it comes to some of the posters here claiming that you can't recreate it because you lack the fear + danger + real battle experience...
    I'd like to ask how you think they trained young knights in the old days? I'm sure there were some forms that look a lot like 2 man kata, and there was probably some sparring with wooden swords or blunt edges too. The realism some of the teachers who came back from real battle is one advantage they had, but as far as equipment that reaches a compromise between safety and realism, I think we have it much better today.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 3:43am

Style: Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    I just want to point out that when it comes to some of the posters here claiming that you can't recreate it because you lack the fear + danger + real battle experience...
    I'd like to ask how you think they trained young knights in the old days? I'm sure there were some forms that look a lot like 2 man kata, and there was probably some sparring with wooden swords or blunt edges too.
    Indeed it would have. Also, in your specific example, squires (knights in training) would also accompany knights into battle. Someone who was in training to be a knight would have more than likely have been to war and back as an arming squire before he would have been old enough to drink in modern society. Now, it might just be me, but facing down the medieval equivelant of an artillery barrage (volleying archers) wearing little more than a padded shirt while a bunch of large men with axes ran at you handles the fear + danger bit quite well. The Europeans were a big fan of learning by doing when it came to a child's education

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 3:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth_monkey View Post
    The Europeans were a big fan of learning by doing when it came to a child's education
    That and "middle age" in that era was about 17, so it's not surprising that they had twelve year olds on the battle field playing sword caddy.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 3:23pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth_monkey View Post
    Indeed it would have. Also, in your specific example, squires (knights in training) would also accompany knights into battle. Someone who was in training to be a knight would have more than likely have been to war and back as an arming squire before he would have been old enough to drink in modern society. Now, it might just be me, but facing down the medieval equivelant of an artillery barrage (volleying archers) wearing little more than a padded shirt while a bunch of large men with axes ran at you handles the fear + danger bit quite well. The Europeans were a big fan of learning by doing when it came to a child's education
    A squire in that situation would have been wearing rather more than a padded shirt and would have been mounted. Not that the terror part wouldn't still be true.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345