Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 2:33pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Medieval larping?

Last week I went to a close friends wedding and was sat next to this large (read very fat) Anglo dude with a ponytail and what I can only describe as some sort of Asian suit, a Steven Segal impersonator with a goatee. So while we're having dinner it turns out this guy works security for a university bar, low action joint. We are talking all things martial and despite the obvious clues he doesn't have a clue what he was on about, such as:
    -he wrestled with a capoeira guy who was winning until he put his weight on a pressure point and stopped because he would kill him
    -judo has flashy kicks
    -Kung Fu is the best martial art in the world for teh deadly
    J
    he caught my attention through his sea of bullshit when he began talking about his medieval armoured combat. He informed me that it is the best workout because he is completely out of puff within two minutes, because there isn't much oxygen able to get in the helmet and the armour is heavy and so is the broadsword. Massive larper.

He is spouting every single bullshido argument there is and I was countering well, but he was too deep and even my fiancée was saying there was no hope for this one and I should just leave it.

The funniest thing he said was,"in the heat of combat while fighting several people you have to..."

I tried changing the topic but he was opinionated on everything, even diet which was rich from him. Good enough bloke, but in your face with shallow opinion base.

I was intrigued to the point where I asked him where he does this **** and he said he was part of a medieval society. Now, not wanting to get on the wrong side of people and not knowing anything about this ****, is a "medieval society" just a group of warhammer or world of Warcraft guys larping? Or should I *snicker* prepare a broadsword defence?

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 2:42pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are many western martial arts groups these days but their interests tend to be in recreating western martial arts with a miled larping interest that varies from group to group in intensity. For hardcore larping you cannot beat the SCA. http://www.sca.org/ There are several legitimate reconstruction groups out there but this fellow doesn't sound like he's in one of those groups.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 4:50pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    -judo has flashy kicks
    Doesn't judo have strikes? If I'm not mistaking, judo has strikes but few judo classes actually spend time on learning them. And, assuming I'm correct (I know, huge assumption), I highly doubt they'd be flashy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 6:58pm

Style: Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's two main groups. You have the SCA which was already mentioned. These guys are a re-enactment group so yeah, they are dictionary larpers. I met a few during uni and for the most part they're good guys. However, just like any geek activity you get the occaisonal morbidly obese "badass" and the feared self diagnosed aspies. Given that the guy mentioned armour he's more than likely in this group.

The other group is ARMA. ARMA's main goal is to recreate and teach historical european fencing through surviving manuscripts and texts from the era. I know very little about them as they don't really have a huge aussie presence, however picture a kind of mix between olympic fencing, dog brothers and a ren fair

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 7:31pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Laugh all you want but I know you were all jealous of the LARPers in Role Models. I know I was.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 7:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysol View Post
    Doesn't judo have strikes? If I'm not mistaking, judo has strikes but few judo classes actually spend time on learning them. And, assuming I'm correct (I know, huge assumption), I highly doubt they'd be flashy.
    Yes Judo has strikes.

They're certainly not flashy though, short and to the point if anything.

Oh, and you won't train them, ever.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth_monkey View Post
    There's two main groups. You have the SCA which was already mentioned. These guys are a re-enactment group so yeah, they are dictionary larpers. I met a few during uni and for the most part they're good guys. However, just like any geek activity you get the occaisonal morbidly obese "badass" and the feared self diagnosed aspies. Given that the guy mentioned armour he's more than likely in this group.

The other group is ARMA. ARMA's main goal is to recreate and teach historical european fencing through surviving manuscripts and texts from the era. I know very little about them as they don't really have a huge aussie presence, however picture a kind of mix between olympic fencing, dog brothers and a ren fair
    SCA is probably the oldest and certainly the largest LARP-style organizations, and they don't typically claim to be anything more, nor less than that. The defining characteristic is that they literally "role play", developing and acting out "medieval" personas. Their recreational combat genuinely is heavy going - full-contact armored weapon fighting, sometimes in truly huge mass-battle situations - but doesn't (typically) make much reference to actual, historical European martial arts techniques (many of which are banned under the SCA's insurance-based rule system).

YouTube- SCA documentary preview

Historical re-enactment groups are generally more "serious" about actual history, re-creating all manner of clothing, folk dances and related activities as well as combat. There is tremendous variation of standards, points of focus, etc. between these groups, including everything from ancient Celts and Vikings through the Second World War; far more than can be summarized here.

HEMA (historical European martial arts) is the most recent specialized offshoot. These are typically serious martial arts groups who are painstakingly reviving various antiquated martial arts based on pressure-testing the detailed treatises produced by historical instructors dating back as far as the 13th century and through to the 19th. ARMA is only one (increasingly marginalized) association within the HEMA movement.

YouTube- TV4 reporting from Swordfish
    YouTube- Fechten mit dem langen Schwert

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 7:56pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth_monkey View Post

Well maybe I'm getting a bit too PC here, but what is the problem with being a self diagnosed aspie? I ask because I speculated and asked a friend who has a background in psychology what she thought (of the possibility that I might have the condition). I decided that persuing a diagnosis would not do me any good and that my social skills are marginally better than those of an aspie. The thing is I don't see why it would be wrong unless one mentioned it out to everyone one met and used it as an excuse for inconsiderate behaviour.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 8:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an ongoing meme with shut ins...

i.e. they're not socially awkward because they never wash and spend all their time wanking over hentai, it's because MEDICAL CONDITION.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 8:18pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    It's an ongoing meme with shut ins...

i.e. they're not socially awkward because they never wash and spend all their time wanking over hentai, it's because MEDICAL CONDITION.
    Okay fair enough.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast