Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 12:42pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Javelin

I've been looking into javelin recently. It looks very entertaining and I would like to try my hand at it. The problem is, im 18 and of course my high school doesnt offer javelin as part of the track & field program due to the safety concerns. The school I will be going to next year does offer javelin as part of their track and field program, but thats where my problem comes in.

1. Would they accept just a random walk on for such a technical event?

2. If not where might I start looking for non-school associated javelin classes?

3. Is Javelin even a WMA? I mean i guess it could be... sort of like kyudo for JMA's.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak View Post

3. Is Javelin even a WMA? I mean i guess it could be... sort of like kyudo for JMA's.
    Kinda-sorta, I suppose; comparable to archery, discus etc., it's a sport/skill descended from martial application. Can't help with the other questions, I'm afraid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 5:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what sort of martial application did discus have?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Discus throwing was one of the gymnazein exercises of classical Greece; I don't think that it ever had a direct martial application in the sense of the discus itself being used as a weapon, but it was considered to be useful martial training akin to wrestling, running etc. A good athlete was considered to have discipline, physical fitness and other qualities that made for good soldiering.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 7:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Discus throwing was one of the gymnazein exercises of classical Greece; I don't think that it ever had a direct martial application in the sense of the discus itself being used as a weapon, but it was considered to be useful martial training akin to wrestling, running etc. A good athlete was considered to have discipline, physical fitness and other qualities that made for good soldiering.
    makes sense.

My questions still stand though.

Hopefully someone who has participated in javelin can comment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 8:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just sent an email to the school I will be attending about someone with no experience having any shred of a chance at making the team. eagerly awaiting response.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 10:47am

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I. Maybe. If you have a lot of heart and you give it your best shot they might take you up. Better to try and fail than not try at all.

II. Doubtful. You mmaaayyy find some spear-hunters depending on where you live but that is a major long shot. Some EMA styles use spears but you'll probably have to advance through their systems for a while before you get to that point, so...

III. Javelin for track and field is fun, but not very applicable to WMA by itself. For example, you will be throwing for distance and not specific accuracy. But you can turn into something more WMA if you have a spear at home. You can practice your strength and throwing potential at school with their throwing javelin while practicing with your spear at home with parrying, thrusting, and short-range throws at targets. Di Grassi has a section on the javelin in his Art of Defense where he discusses how to set aside your enemy's weapon and how to hold it. See if you can find a translation online since it is like less than a page long.
    Last edited by Mordschlag; 4/18/2010 10:52am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 11:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    I. Maybe. If you have a lot of heart and you give it your best shot they might take you up. Better to try and fail than not try at all.

II. Doubtful. You mmaaayyy find some spear-hunters depending on where you live but that is a major long shot. Some EMA styles use spears but you'll probably have to advance through their systems for a while before you get to that point, so...

III. Javelin for track and field is fun, but not very applicable to WMA by itself. For example, you will be throwing for distance and not specific accuracy. But you can turn into something more WMA if you have a spear at home. You can practice your strength and throwing potential at school with their throwing javelin while practicing with your spear at home with parrying, thrusting, and short-range throws at targets. Di Grassi has a section on the javelin in his Art of Defense where he discusses how to set aside your enemy's weapon and how to hold it. See if you can find a translation online since it is like less than a page long.
    thank you. I guess i'll just have to give it a shot then :D. I might make a call to my local university about possibly learning how to throw by their coach, but that would be awfully generous. I doubt they would be up to something like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 8:00am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    III. Javelin for track and field is fun, but not very applicable to WMA by itself. For example, you will be throwing for distance and not specific accuracy. But you can turn into something more WMA if you have a spear at home. You can practice your strength and throwing potential at school with their throwing javelin while practicing with your spear at home with parrying, thrusting, and short-range throws at targets.
    If the Epics are any indication, Javelin wasn't used for up-close melee. It was specifically intended as a throwing weapon. For melee, the greeks, apparently, used the long spear or sword.

But, yeah, throwing accurately was a pretty big part. So much so that when the Heros missed their patron god/goddess would mystically return their spear to them.

It's kinda an interesting study to look at the differences between throwing spears and melee spears. I'm not sure what the most innovative throwing spear is, but I'd probably start with the pilum.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 11:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I did discus (and shotput and javelin which I completely sucked at) in hs, and I can testify that my friend managed to drop 2 teamates with discus throws gone awry in practice, plus in competition he knocked a referee's hat (mind you the ref was standing behind him) cleanly off his head somehow without hitting him. Discus is deadly! Just ask Acrisius of Argos.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast