Posted On:
    4/17/2010 11:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reinforced hook to sweep larger opponents

Hi

I have been working on my butterflyguard lately, mostly sweeps. My training partner at the moment is about 25 kg heavier than me, so I have been having a somewhat difficult time getting the sweeps as smooth as they should be. On top of that my knee has been making rather wierd noises when I elevate my hook..

After a while I came up with putting one foot behind the heel on the side I was going to elevate to get more power behind it, and it worked just fine. My question is, is there any dangers in doing this? Getting passed and so on? I don't want to continue doing it if it's ****.

I have been doing bjj for about 2 years but had to move from the area the club was in, so now I just rain with some dudes at the local TMA club, me being king of the dungheap sort of speak, so I can't get more educated opinions on what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 12:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you be able to post some vids of you doing this?

My first thought is that you are losing one hook to do this, now I am not too sure how you are applying the hook so I dont know if anything else is thrown off course. Can you be a little more descriptive with what you are doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have a camera, but I will try to explain better: It's a basic butterflyguard sweep

YouTube- Rodrigo Gracie Butterfly Guard Sweep

If you pause the video at 1:39 I sit in this position. I put the left foot on the heel of the right foot (the one that is still hooking), to use both legs to elevate my opponent on one side.

Hope this wa a better description

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 11:16pm

Style: Brazilian JiuJitsu, Wing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you crossing your legs? if your crossing your legs underneath someone to me this is to pivot and go to x guard. Thats actual how one classmate gets to X from full butterfly, he rolls back guy in guard steps up just like in the vid, he rolls to X guard sweeps from there. i could be way off who hope it helps.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 4:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you cannot sweep him, you are doing something wrong. Could be timing, position, or he could simply be countering your attempt.

I get an uneasy feeling about putting both my feet together like you describe. Both of your legs are tied up in the same place, essentially giving you only one leg to use if he counters.

Without video, I don't think I can say anything more constructive.

Ben

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 4:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jikoo View Post
    I don't have a camera, but I will try to explain better: It's a basic butterflyguard sweep

YouTube- Rodrigo Gracie Butterfly Guard Sweep

If you pause the video at 1:39 I sit in this position. I put the left foot on the heel of the right foot (the one that is still hooking), to use both legs to elevate my opponent on one side.

Hope this wa a better description
    I am wanting know know where your hips and knees move to when you do this, as well as the movement of your upper body. The way I am picturing it in my head it sounds fantastic and similar to something I do when I am setting up a kneebar or the saddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 12:55am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Key points to remember when doing the hooking sweep:

1) Get a connection i.e. a tight underhook or overhook so his shoulder is locked against yours.
    2) Keep your knee at a 90 degree angle and roll back and then to the side rather than rolling straight sideways. DON’T lift with your hook as this will put unnecessary strain on your knee.
    3) Make sure you are under your opponent. If he’s got his hips too far back like in the clip above, then push him back with your hooks, then try and sweep him.